Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster,
I was hoping to get some advice from the more experienced minds here. Here's the scenario:

I was driving home and was at an intersection when my engine just stopped. No noise, no strange vibration or anything, no stalling out, it just quit. I pushed the car to the side of the road, took it to a service station that told me that I need a new timing belt (it slipped apparently or so they say?).

Anyway, this is a 300-600 dollar problem as far as I've been told. However, what's worse is that I've gotten word that this is engine could be an "interference-type", which means that when the timing belt slipped the valves could have possibly been bent by the pistons.

Now, I'm not a car expert by any means, but I wanted to get everyone's input that had anything to say about my issue. Note that I bought this car used from my mother for 1700, so if it's a 400 dollar problem I wouldn't mind fixing it, it's been a good ride and it's pretty reliable. But, if this has the potential to be a 1100 dollar problem to fix the valves, should I just scrap the car? And where would I go to do that?

Essentially, what are the chances that the valves are bent? How do I find out for minimal cost? And what are my chances that if I just throw on a new timing belt that it'll just work again?

I live in the Philadelphia area, and if I could just get it home to Virginia Beach, VA I can get a family friend (mechanic by trade) to look at it for practically nothing.

Heck, if anyone knows someone in Philly I can take this to relaibly and for relatively good price, I'll take that advice too.

I'm trying to get back on the road one way or another as soon as I can, so any answers and input you all would have would be much appreciated.

Some details on the car: I've only been driving it since January of this year, and I was told that a new used engine had been put into it. The odometer reads about 116k miles.

Specs:
1996 Kia Sportage
approx 116,000 miles.

If you need more info, let me know and I'll post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear your news. Been there, done that. I have a 2001 Sportage that I also bought used, and have had for a whopping 2 months. It broke the timing belt. I was told that it has 16 valuves and one or all could be warped. I was looking at pretty much the same investment that you are. It was towed to the shop, knowing that I might would have to sell my children into slave labor to pay for it, (JUST A JOKE GUYS.) Come to find out, I was not traveling very fast when it broke so it damaged nothing but the timing belt. I was lucky, it only cost me $280.65 including a tow charge. If you can get it back home to a friend. DO IT, the timing belt only cost about $35.00. Labor will eat your lunch. They range about $35.00 to $60.00 an hour,( according to your location.) The book calls for 8 hours for the job. And they charge by the book. Not how long it actually takes. Good luck with your ride, they sure are sportty little suckers. Mines red with the black removable top. Love it to death, cuss it like crazy!!!! Bren

·
Registered
349 Posts
The DOHC Sportage engine is a non-interference design. Breaking a timing belt will NOT bend the valves.

So tell that garage to install a new belt and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is also recommended to replace the timing bearing, tensioner and oil seals (crankshaft and camshaft seals) to avoid costly labour when oil seals or bearing/tensioner gives way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, replacing the tensioner and spring is a good idea. Also good practice to replace the water pump too since it is driven by the timing belt. It saves the possibility of going back in there again if the water pump fails.

But it is not necessary, nor recommended, to replace the crank/cam oil seals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped it off at the dealer's, upon first glance they can see that the timing belt's clearly off timing-wise. So, confirmed suspicion number one.

Number two, however, still in the air: Is this car really a non-interference model? Yes, it is a DOHC, but upon pointing this factor out to the mechanic there he said "Yeah, but it's a 2 liter engine, this one's an interference model". Of course, we both agreed that hopefully nothing's wrong with the valves.

Course of action: putting on a new belt, praying to god it gets the sucker running again.

Axe, was wondering if you could help me out on the DOHC non-interference info, cruised a couple net sites and noticed you posted in some (the 4x4forum), but is this mechanic right?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have personally confirmed with an experienced Kia Technician that the DOHC Sportage engine is non-interference.

I know numerous individuals who have broken a timing belt, installed a new one, and drove away with no damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts