Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 KIA Sportage LX (automatic) 4x4 this past summer. Obviously, I had no need for 4WD in the summer, but now that I do, I can't figure out how to put the vehicle into 4WD mode!

The vehicle didn't come with a user manual, so here's what I've tried:

Car in park; foot on brake. 4WD shift lever won't move in any direction.

Car in park; foot off brake. Same result

Car in neutral; foot on brake. Same result.

Car in neutral; foot off brake. Same result.

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but without a manual I haven't a clue. I called the dealer I bought the vehicle from, and they don't know, either (they're not a KIA dealership). Can anybody here help? Please e-mail me directly as well as posting here if you'd be so kind. My e-mail is [email protected].

Thanks in advance -

Magyck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1999 Sportage and to shift to 4hi put in drive hold on brake, for 4Lo put in park foot off brake, hope this helps?

·
Registered
349 Posts
If it is very cold you will have difficulty putting the transfer case into 4H. The stick is very short and it's difficult to get leverage. But it SHOULD go into 4H regardless of whether you are moving or stopped. If there is no way you can get it into 4H even when stopped and in Park or Neutral then I'd say you have a problem with the transfer case.

Try this....get everything up to operating temperature first by driving several miles. Then try to shift to 4H. It should go in easily. If it still doesn't that would indicate problems internal to the transfer case and you should have it looked at by a Kia Dealer.

BTW....you MUST be stopped and transmission in NEUTRAL before attempting to shift into or out of 4L.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to be totally stopped to shift into 4w in the Kia Sportage. I put the clutch in to shift it into 4w.

I hate to say it but mine has 53,000 miles on it and I bought it in 2001, it's been to the dealership 5 times-yes 5 times to have the 4w drive selenoid replaced! It stinks! My warranty goes until 60,000 and I've been told it's not covered to the 100,000. I am calling the dealership this week and demanding a meeting with the person that owns the dealership and going to complain. I will go directly to KIA for the inconvenience I have been caused by this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts