Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new on here and have recently bought a kia sportage manual diesel 2005, great carbut the other day I went down a steep icy hill, at the top put it in 1st and started going down at tick over speed, then all of a sudden there was 2 knocks from under the truck and it just flew down the hill with no control !!! And u could rev it as if it wasnt in gear !, when it started slowing I revved it and it revved then went back into gear and drove off fine , any help please

·
Registered
07 Kia Sportage 2WD, V6, EX
88 Posts
sorry, I've never had a manual so I cant be much help. But it sounds like the clutch disengaged.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
So after this happened it is fine now????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ye seems to be, tried it again today and sure enough same thing, when it slowed down I revved it and it just went back into gear but lost it coming all the way down !!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Try 2 gear, it sounds to me that 1'st gear is to hi at the speed your going.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
When I first read your post I thought you may have damaged the main gear cluster or the differential gears...BUT they don't repair themselves.
If it comes and goes like that... it might be a sticking clutch slave cylinder.
If it stuck "in" the clutch would dis-engauge the engine from the tranny.
What did the clutch pedal feel like??? Was is mushy? No back pressure on the pedal?
You may also have clutch problems that may be allowing slip when under torque/pressure.
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi ye tried second same thing though, the clutch pedal felt fine Dave I have spoke to two kia mechanics from dealers and they have never heard of anything, the other thing I did notice is when I was turning sharp when stationary and set off it felt like it was struggling and shuddering a bit then when I tried it with 4wd lock in it got slightly worse ! But remember I was on ice if this helps ???? And the truck has only done 38,000 miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also Dave going up the icy hill it was fine but maybe because its not trying to hold the weight back not too sure ?? My brother slightly mechanically minded said it is maybe the transfer box ? With the 2 knocks from under the car being the chain in the transfer box jumping ? I haven't got a clue about diffs or transfer boxes so any help much appreciated hope this helps

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Icy hill? Sounds like the car is slipping on the ice because the engine braking in 1st gear is too severe. Try 2nd gear or stay off that hill! You have to watch out for this effect on any slippery surface, particularly with front-wheel-drives.

"Revved and revved and it went back into gear" -This is impossible with a manual transmission; the wheels were simply spinning.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
Have you ever heard of a "limited slip differential"? The differential allows slip of one (or more) wheel...especially during turns where one wheel will be turning slower than the other... If the differential(s) are bad you could have this problem of slipping and catching.. I remember a post about a bad one on a Sportage from the differential loosing all of it's gear grease and running "dry".
If you have a 4WD and the rear wheels have been disabled some way and the car is only pulled by the front wheels...there is a vacuum operated "switch" (actually a valve) that "if" the vaccum level drops the front wheels will drop out also... Hard/brittle/cracked rubber vacuum hoses under the hood are usually the cause.
Just some ideas...I'm sure ther will be many more posts in this thread.
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Take the ice away and everything will be OK, I bet. Going UP the hill is apparently OK, and that's where I'd expect LSDs (if fitted) to come into play.

Can't be too much ice, otherwise you'd never get up the hill unless the tyres were spiked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My brother went down the hill in his disco 3 and stopped halfway down it ! Also a friend in a 2 wheel drive audi a4 went down it controlled as any thing, and im pretty sure the wheels were turning as the abs was working all the way down the hill ! Brother also triwd it and sure enough same thing happend to him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts