Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage Platinum 2.0 CRDI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

Just joined the forum and have a Dec 2012 built Sportage Platinum 2.0 TDI with keyless entry and start.

Decided to purchase a module off Ebay to make the mirrors fold up on locking the car and fold back on opening. After installing the plug and play module I need to identify the drivers door locking motor feed to attach the two wires from the module, 1 x green and 1 x blue, so the system operates on locking and unlocking the car.

I have taken the door panel off and exposed two connectors to the door lock motor, see photo Drivers Door. The upper one has 6 x wires coming from it coloured from top to bottom when connected Blue, Orange, Brown, Pink, Black and Grey, See photos Upper Connector fitted and upper connector. By connecting the green module wire to the blue motor connector wire the mirror closes on locking. However I cannot find a wire that will allow the mirror to fold back on opening. I can get the mirror to start to open when connecting the blue module wire to the orange motor connector wire but it then turns back to the closed position. I did try to research the web and found that there is a deadlock motor which I assume is the bottom connector, see photo lower connector. This has 4 x wires Brown, White, Grey/Black and Black. I have tried every combination with these wires in combination with the upper connector but still cannot get the mirrors to fold back out.

Anyone know where I am going wrong? Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MarekA,

Many thanks for providing your information.

I have already connected the module in the configuration you suggest, Orange and blue - Open Door and blue to green - Lock Door, but I get the following when operating the remote:

On locking the car the mirrors close correctly
On opening the car the mirrors start to fold out, get less than half way but then close back up again.

If no one else can provide some confirmation that I have the right wires I will suspect I have a faulty module?

Once again, many thanks for responding to my issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'day,

Still no luck on trying to identify the correct wires. Does anyone have a way of contacting Kiastorm (his private email box is full) as I note from a discussion in 2010 he managed to fit the module and gave a wiring diagram but it is only schematic and doesn't give the location of the connectors or colours of the wires.

Once again any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G'day,

Just an update to let you know I sorted the mirrors. When I first tried to fit them I tested the operation with the door closed but using the key fob only. After going through the whole operation again of testing all of the wires I tried the system using the following and it works:

> door button to lock - mirrors close
> door button to open - mirrors stay closed
> Start engine - door mirrors unfold
> get to 7 Mph deadlocks operate - mirrors stay unfolded
> Operate the manual mirror close/open switch in vehicle - Mirrors operate correctly
> Operation using key fob works but to get mirrors to unfold you have to start the engine

So all works. If anyone is going to do this mod they require to identify the following wires in the drivers door:

- BLUE wire from door lock/wiring loom - BLUE wire from module
- ORANGE wire from door lock/wiring loom - GREEN wire from module

·
Registered
2013 sportage SX
127 Posts
module

G'day,

Just an update to let you know I sorted the mirrors. When I first tried to fit them I tested the operation with the door closed but using the key fob only. After going through the whole operation again of testing all of the wires I tried the system using the following and it works:

> Operate the manual mirror close/open switch in vehicle - Mirrors operate correctly
> Operation using key fob works but to get mirrors to unfold you have to start the engine

So all works. If anyone is going to do this mod they require to identify the following wires in the drivers door:

can you explain how the module gets connected and to what im looking at one on ebay and its tough to tell, thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
G'day all,

For SlovaKIA - I bought the module from this EBay seller Fits 2011 Sportage R Auto Lock Folding Side Mirror Door Lock Unlock Relay | eBay

For azappa420 - EBay link as above for purchasing. On purchasing the module you get 1 x module and 1 x wiring harness. The module is a black box approx. 4' x 3' x 1'. On one end of the module there is an electrical socket where you plug in the small electrical harness that comes with the kit. The harness also has a male and female electrical plug sockets which connects your KIA wiring harness in series with the module. It also has two loose wires (Blue and Green) that come from the electrical socket that plugs into the black box. The electrical plug sockets will only fit the correct plugs so you cannot get it wrong.

On removal of the door card from the door itself it will be connected to the wiring loom by three electrical plugs - Tweeter speaker, electric windows and door locking system. Unplug all of the plugs and remove the door card. Mount the black box with the double sided tape (comes with the kit) to the area below where the locking door plug fits. This plug is the one that will fit on the new mini harness. Then pull back the water proof membrane which is held on by a black sealant. This will expose the door lock electrical connector which is in my first and second photo of this thread. Identify the Orange and Blue wires. Once you have done this trace them back in the wiring loom to an area close to where the Original KIA electrical wiring loom for the windows and lock passes through the membrane. Strip the insulation to these wires using a wire stripper that allows you to strip back insulation, see photo, and Solder the module wires as follows:

Once complete insulate these joins with electrical tape so they do not short out.

Refit is reverse of strip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 sportage SX
127 Posts
thanks

G'day all,

For SlovaKIA - I bought the module from this EBay seller Fits 2011 Sportage R Auto Lock Folding Side Mirror Door Lock Unlock Relay | eBay

For azappa420 - EBay link as above for purchasing. On purchasing the module you get 1 x module and 1 x wiring harness. The module is a black box approx. 4' x 3' x 1'. On one end of the module there is an electrical socket where you plug in the small electrical harness that comes with the kit. The harness also has a male and female electrical plug sockets which connects your KIA wiring harness in series with the module. It also has two loose wires (Blue and Green) that come from the electrical socket that plugs into the black box. The electrical plug sockets will only fit the correct plugs so you cannot get it wrong.

On removal of the door card from the door itself it will be connected to the wiring loom by three electrical plugs - Tweeter speaker, electric windows and door locking system. Unplug all of the plugs and remove the door card. Mount the black box with the double sided tape (comes with the kit) to the area below where the locking door plug fits. This plug is the one that will fit on the new mini harness. Then pull back the water proof membrane which is held on by a black sealant. This will expose the door lock electrical connector which is in my first and second photo of this thread. Identify the Orange and Blue wires. Once you have done this trace them back in the wiring loom to an area close to where the Original KIA electrical wiring loom for the windows and lock passes through the membrane. Strip the insulation to these wires using a wire stripper that allows you to strip back insulation, see photo, and Solder the module wires as follows:

Once complete insulate these joins with electrical tape so they do not short out.

Refit is reverse of strip.
thank you that was very helpful and appreciated

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
978 Posts
If you have a Smart Key, you can use this relay and it will automatically unfold the mirrors as you approach the vehicle. If the engine is off and you walk away with the Smart Key, the mirrors will automatically fold back up.

Welcome Auto Lock Folding Side Mirror System Relay FOR KIA 10 Sportage R | eBay

I had my installer instal this for me; he had to run two extra wires to both mirrors.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Marooncobra....Hi there,bought the unit you suggested,installed it today. Works as you say,unfolds with ignition on,folds upon locking the car with remote. Little nibble with it. When i unlock the car and don't open any doors,the car will eventually relock itself. And my mirrors will unfold when this happens. Could you try this on your car and pls let me know what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Marooncobra.

You got the same module. Having the same problems as you. Although photo module installed? Is it possible to show your picture? Please help me.
Neo59,

What are you having difficulties with? All the pictures I took are already uploaded on this page. My issue was when I first tried to fit them I tested the operation with the door closed but using the key fob only. After going through the whole operation again of testing all of the wires I tried the system using the following and it works:

·
Registered
2012 Sportage Platinum CRD AWD & Triumph Tiger 1050
57 Posts
HI guys.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this is my first post being a new 2012 Sportage Platinum CRD owner in Australia. I have a smart key / push button ignition.

After reading this thread am i right in thinking that the motors are already in the mirrors in the Aussie Platinum and just need wiring added? Or are the motors the modules? I'm confused.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
978 Posts
There are mirrors with motors and mirrors without motors. If your Sportage doesn't have that feature from the factory (and the accompanying driver's side door windown/mirror control panel with the mirror folding button), then that means that you have the mirrors without the motor. You'll need to buy a set of mirrors with the motor, the driver's side control panel, the aftermarket folding module. Installation of the module isn't plug-n-play (mine wasn't) as you'll need to run two wires (ground and power) from the module to each mirror in order to get them to fold.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage Platinum CRD AWD & Triumph Tiger 1050
57 Posts
There are mirrors with motors and mirrors without motors. If your Sportage doesn't have that feature from the factory (and the accompanying driver's side door windown/mirror control panel with the mirror folding button), then that means that you have the mirrors without the motor. You'll need to buy a set of mirrors with the motor, the driver's side control panel, the aftermarket folding module. Installation of the module isn't plug-n-play (mine wasn't) as you'll need to run two wires (ground and power) from the module to each mirror in order to get them to fold.
Thanks for the info. Sounds expensive! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.