Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from the UK .I hope someone may be able to help me.The temperature gauge on the car is at the normal position ,not showing signs of overheating but coolant is being lost from the expansion bottle via the overflow pipe.Last year the garage changed one of the hoses.It seams to overheat more when the heater is in the c position .Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. My name's Laurent and I live in France.

I have never experienced coolant loss trough the expansion bottle on my Carnival (I may be lucky), however there is a straightforward way to test any problem due to a leaking headgasket in case of excessive presssure in the cooling circuit.

Indeed, I found this trick myself, and it revealed quite useful. I use it each time I want to check a car. In order to test if you have a blown head gasket, just take a plastic bag (PE), the one that can be found in our supermarket. When the engine is cold, and only when it is cold otherwise it could be dangerous !, run the engine, open the expansion bottle cap, connect to it the squeezed bag with your hand around the aperture to minimize leaks, and wait for a minute. If the bag inflates, purge it and verify again the presence of air running out of the expansion tank. If the bag inflates again, I am afraid that you'll be facing a head gasket change soon. Bear in mind that there might be a natural water expansion induced by the water pump, but if you consider the capacity of the coolant circuit (less than 10 liters) and the volume of air necessary to blow the bag two times (at least 10 liters), the conclusion is obvious. There are some other signs of blown head gasket : if you hear bubbles when or just after switching the engine off, that could be an indication of early signs of dysfunctionnement. The method of looking for a white smoke at the exhaust is definitely not recommended because it might be affected by humidity of air, and when the smoke becomes obviously white, it is generally too late. White smoke is not a good sign, even for the catholics!

Now if you don't detect such a problem, things are much better. I'd advise you to flush the cooling circuit with some commercial radiator cleaner to remove any rust that might have clogged the circuit. This can happen to quite old cars, which I m sure your carnival isn't. Also check the opening of the thermostat. Who knows?

Tell me, how often do you have to refill the bottle? I don't know where the tempereature sensor is located on the Diesel engine, but I experienced in some cars that, due to a bad conception, the temperature reading is inacurate in absence of water. So be careful not to wait too long... Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia Sedona Overheating And Boiling Over.

Hello from the UK .I hope someone may be able to help me.The temperature gauge on the car is at the normal position ,not showing signs of overheating but coolant is being lost from the expansion bottle via the overflow pipe.Last year the garage changed one of the hoses.It seams to overheat more when the heater is in the c position .Any advice would be appreciated.
HI I HAVE TRIED TO RECTIFY THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY KIA SEDONA WHEN I BOUGHT IT IT HAD AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM AND WAS LOSING ALL THE WATER FROM THE ENGINE OUT OF THE EXPANSION TANK OVER ABOUT A 50 MILES DRIVE I CHANGED THE THERMOSTAT AND THE PROBLEM WAS STILL THERE SO TODAY I BOUGHT A GAS TEST KIT WHICH TESTS THE GASSES COMING OUT OF THE COOLANT FILLER BY TESTING IT IF THE FLUID TURNS YELLOW THEN THE HEAD GASKET IS GONE IT STAYED BLUE SO THIS TIME I TOOK THE THERMOSTAT OUT AND RAN IT AGAIN WITHOUT IT THIS TIME THERE WAS NO PROBLEM SO I HAVE DONE A BOIL TEST ON THE NEW THERMOSTAT AND FOUND OUT IT IS ALSO FAULTY AND NOT OPENING SO THE CONCLUSION IS FROM DAY 1 THE THERMOSTAT WAS THE WHOLE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM NOT THE HEAD GASKET AS MOST PEOPLE SAY SO I ADVISE WHEN PURCHASING A NEWTHERMOSTAT IMMERSE IT IN BOILING WATTER BEFORE FITTING IT TO MAKE SURE IT OPENS AND CLOSES OK.

·
Registered
2004 2.9CRDi Sedona.
101 Posts
Coolant Loss.

First things first . Is the engine overheating?
If it is not and driving okay with no steam and clean clear coolant i would check all the hoses and unions . Do you get a curry like smell under the bonnet when things are warmed up? This could likely point to a leak somewhere. i experienced a leak myself at the hose connection on the bulkhead behind the intercooler.
Check underneath the car the two metal pipes running to the rear heater box are notorious for corrosion.
Make sure the system is full by filling up at the top of the engine as well as the expansion bottle.
If the engine is overheating follow the previous advice in this thread but check all your hoses and connections thouroughly first.

Good Luck.

Highlander.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cooant loss

Hi, I also have a Sedona 2.9 diesel with a coolant problem. The car is 3 years old, 30,000 miles & 3 months ago, the thermostat would suddenly shoot up, & the car would lose the heating through the fans. I was also losing coolant. The Kia garage diagnosed a blown head gasket. However, I have not yet had this fixed, because since then the car has run perfectly, & not lost a drop of coolant in over 6 weeks.

I tried the test with the plastic bag, & could see not inflation/air escaping.

Does anybody know if this is possible, for a car to run normally without losing any coolant with a blown head gasket? I really do not want to pay a huge bill to repair a fault that may not even be there?

Can anybody please help?? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same problem. Lossing coolant through the expansion bottle. When this happens the top rad' pipe goes hard like it has been pumped up. Sorry to jump onto your thread. Please look at simcap post for more details on problem.

Many thanks

Simcap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts