Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking at buying a 2010 Kia ceed 3 SW, I am looking at several but none are that local to me. I am getting conflicting answers regarding diesel particle filters.

I don't know what sort of mileage I will be doing as I am changing jobs, trying to find a petrol version is impossible so I am worried that my type of journeys will not suit a diesel with a DPF.

Some dealers are telling me that the early 2010 UK models do not have a DPF but some dealers say they do. I know that by law all 2011 registered diesels in the UK had to have one but not sure when KIA started supplying cars wit them.

So can any 2010 UK owners tell me if they have one or not 1.6 (113bhp) version

Many many thanks

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Hi I am looking at buying a 2010 Kia ceed 3 SW, I am looking at several but none are that local to me. I am getting conflicting answers regarding diesel particle filters.
If you see a car that interests you, to remove the likelyhood that the salesman hasn't a clue, ask to see the registration document. At the bottom of the inner left hand page (para V.5) it declares the particulate emissions. If it has a DPF it will be less than 0.005. Mine (an earlier model but probably representative of the non-DPF line) is 0.012.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you see a car that interests you, to remove the likelyhood that the salesman hasn't a clue, ask to see the registration document. At the bottom of the inner left hand page (para V.5) it declares the particulate emissions. If it has a DPF it will be less than 0.005. Mine (an earlier model but probably representative of the non-DPF line) is 0.012.
Thanks for that I will check it out, someone also mentioned that models with a DPF have a sticker visible when you open the drivers door, can anyone confirm this for me..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for that I will check it out, someone also mentioned that models with a DPF have a sticker visible when you open the drivers door, can anyone confirm this for me..
That is correct, it tells you what to do when the engine light blinks.

With regards to the Ceed and DPF's they were only fitted to 1.6 CRDi's for the MY 2011 onwards. These started being delivered to dealers in September 2010, ours was one of the first. If the car you look at was registered August 2010 or before it will be a 2010 model with no DPF, it it was registered on or after Jan 01 2011 it will 100% have a DPF. between these dates it could be either.

Our Ceed SW "3" was registered in September 2010 and was the first the dealer had delivered with a DPF. The V5 shows a particulates figure of 0.001%.

Kia's have very few if any DPF problems, they rarely crop up on any forums, never seen one refer to a Ceed. When they do crop up its generally on older Sportages and Sedonas that have had many owners and are getting towards the end of their lives. In 3 years and 30,000 miles ours has simply regenerated as required.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is correct, it tells you what to do when the engine light blinks.

With regards to the Ceed and DPF's they were only fitted to 1.6 CRDi's for the MY 2011 onwards. These started being delivered to dealers in September 2010, ours was one of the first. If the car you look at was registered August 2010 or before it will be a 2010 model with no DPF, it it was registered on or after Jan 01 2011 it will 100% have a DPF. between these dates it could be either.

Our Ceed SW "3" was registered in September 2010 and was the first the dealer had delivered with a DPF. The V5 shows a particulates figure of 0.001%.

Kia's have very few if any DPF problems, they rarely crop up on any forums, never seen one refer to a Ceed. When they do crop up its generally on older Sportages and Sedonas that have had many owners and are getting towards the end of their lives. In 3 years and 30,000 miles ours has simply regenerated as required.
Can anyone confirm they have a 2010 model that doesn't have this sticker in the drivers door about the DPF and so confirming they have a 2010 model with no DPF. I have contacted several garages over the weekend who have stock of a 2010 1.6 (113bhp) Ceed 3 SW and regardless of when it was 1st registered they seem to think it will have a DPF but they say that without going to check the car. Problem is these garages are between 50 to 100 miles away so it is hard for me to go and physically check. I may have to rethink things but you know what it is like once you find a model of car you really like you don't want to settle for anything else, so on that note anyone with a diesel ceed who doesn't do the regular motorway journey have you had any DPF warning lights?

Thanks again for everyone's help with this, I just can't afford to get this decision wrong.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
I have contacted several garages over the weekend who have stock of a 2010 1.6 (113bhp) Ceed 3 SW and regardless of when it was 1st registered they seem to think it will have a DPF but they say that without going to check the car.
Perhaps they might email a scan of the registration document to you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can anyone confirm they have a 2010 model that doesn't have this sticker in the drivers door about the DPF and so confirming they have a 2010 model with no DPF.
If you read my first post it contains all the info you need but I will add some more info.

When the Ceed 1.6 CRDi was introduced it was homologated under Euro 4 rules which were the standard at that time. When the car was facelifted it continued under Euro 4 homologation. The Ceed 1.6 CRDi passed Euro 4 with no DPF required.

Euro 5 became law on 01 January 2011, no diesel car could be registered after that date unless it complied with Euro 5 and had a DPF. Unsold dealer stock of Euro 4 would have been heavily discounted in December or pre-registered if unsold. If not registered the only solution would have been the crusher.

When we ordered our Ceed SW in August 2010 the dealer had a metallic red "3" in stock but we hate metallic red thus waited for a silver car form the factory. The stock car had no DPF and no sticker on the drivers door.

Basically the garages you are contacting do not have a clue. Sometimes I am convinced I am in the wrong business since I know more than the dealers.

Suggest you contact Kia Customer Services, their number is on the Kia Website. They will give you the correct answer, the same answer that I amgiving you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again

Thanks again for all the help, I finally managed to get the following info from the dealer for the car I am most interested in..

V5 particulates reads 0.019 g/km or g/kWh

There is no sticker inside any doors referring to the DPF

So it looks like it doesn't have a DPF which suits me.

Ta :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a 2008 2.0 litre Ceed SW (which has a DPF) and the registration document shows 0.019 g/km
The 2.0 CRDi is irrelevant to the OP's post because they stopped making it at the update in 2009

For the record the engine in the 2.0 CRDi was a totally different engine to the 1.6 CRDi. It was the old belt drive engine from the Sportage etc. This engine would not comply with Euro 4 without a DPF thus all 2.0 CRDi's have them fitted.

The g/km reading at 0.019 is normal for a Euro 4 car which had a legal limit of 0.025g/km, a Euro 5 car like the Ceed 1.6 CRDi has a much lower limit of 0.005 g/km. As Ace Demon pointed out in an earlier post, the MY2010 and earlier Ceed 1.6 CRDi had a g/km of 0.012 without requiring a DPF. For Euro 5 all diesel cars had to be fitted with a DPF by law even if it could achieve lower than 0.005 g/km without one, slightly crazy IMHO.

The Ceed 2.0 CRDi was a very dirty engine and could not be made Euro 5 compliant, that is why it was dropped. The 2.0 CRDi Euro 5 engine in the 2010 onwards Sportage is a completely different and new unit.

·
Registered
Ceed SW Sport
96 Posts
Are you sure these figures are correct?

I have just bought a brand new Venga 1.6CRDi (which has the U2 engine same as the Ceed) and the particulate figures shown on the V5 are 0.410 g/km

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you sure these figures are correct?

I have just bought a brand new Venga 1.6CRDi (which has the U2 engine same as the Ceed) and the particulate figures shown on the V5 are 0.410 g/km
I have our V5 in front of me for our MY2011 CRDi Ceed SW. The Particulates figure is 0.001 g/km.

You must be looking at the wrong figure, a current Euro 5 car has a maximum of 0.005 g/km for particulates as I said above.

·
Registered
Ceed SW Sport
96 Posts
I am looking at my V5 now for my brand new 2013 Kia Venga 1.6 Diesel

Section V Exhaust Emissions:
V.5 particulates (g/km or g/kWh) 0.410
It can't be any clearer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
There is clearly an error on your V5.

Euro 1 1992 - 1996 0.14 g/km

Euro 2 1997 - 2000 0.08 g/km

Euro 3 2001 - 2005 0.05 g/km

Euro 4 2006 - 2010 0.025 g/km

Euro 5 2010 to present 0.005 g/km

Your car would not comply with any of the past limits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts