Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all members,

I own a Kio Rio 1.5Auto CBU which I bought in Aug 2002. Half a year later, my beloved car has been giving me non-stop problems - minor and major.

It has been breaking down a lot and to date, I have sent it to the workshop every 4 months or so. How did it break down?

Well, when the gear is locked to D position, traffic is bad, I just slide my car down and only press the accelerator when I can move slightly faster. When the accelerator is pressed, the engine will jerk and slowly die off. It will ignite again after a few mins rest.

However, last month it was worst. It can't start again and i had to walk my son to school. Came back to the car to wait for help, I tried to start the car again and it starts!!

Mechanics can't determine the root of problem cos from the scanner, it states no problem detected. And these mechanics are authorised Kia mechanics. I really need help cos now I have phobia in driving my own car!

Worse, I tried to sell to used car but none wants to accept my car. So, I tried to trade in for another car but the trade in value is so low that I have to top the difference owing to my present finance company. Pls help! What shall I do?

I want to write to Kia Korea but I can't find their email address. Pls help.

Jaclyn

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really can feel the frustration for you Jaclyn, mine is a Rio H/B also giving me hell lots of problem. It mis-fires and stalls on and off on 5,9,13 & 19May'05. Like Richard, the dealer can't find a solution/advise for the fault, even the Koreans dun have solution for it. it's now like playing with fire everyday and keep my finger crossed that it won't die on me when I'm in a rush.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Am really thinking of driving my car straight to the big ravine or drain or just let it explode so I can write it off....am lost. Need car to move around. Sis said that one of her friends had similar problem last time and apparently, she wrote and even called Korea and the Koreans replaced her car with another new car!!! Well, I hope they do that for me too...well, lets hope.

Jaclyn

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi too all facing problems wif your cars. If Korea side receive many our our complaints, I am very sure they will help us do something. Why not draft an complaint to Korea for everyone indicated every problems & keep pestering them with an positive answer...
I am having KIA h/b too. Not yet collect so I don't know am I facing the same problems as you.
Just a suggest. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good suggestion!!

So, can all Rio owners who are facing similar problem, pls email to me so I can consolidate and email to Korea for an action plan from them??

I need your email address, chasis number, car registration number, and date of purchase ... thanks.

Jaclyn

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Richard and Mr Corolla,

I have wrote to Kia Korea customer service awhile ago, citing the chronology of events and action plans. Even told them abt you guys facing the similar problem. Ask them to check on 2002/03 production for Malaysia and Singapore - could there be production default?

If got any reply, I will let you guys know. I may even be calling them up next week if no reply and may even fly myself and my journalist friend to Korea to create a fuss at their office.

Wish me luck.

Jaclyn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Jaclyn

I wrote to Kia Korea yesterday too and sought their advice on this.
Hopefully, they will respond. The idea of all all lousy Kia Rio owners banding together to put forward a petition seems a good one. But we need numbers.

Kianomore

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Richard,

I agree with you. We need numbers. I need your advice/help to work together to compile all the users of such car having such problem. At this time, I only have you and the Corolla/Corona guy who are having similar problem.

Hey all Kia people,

Pls let us know if you are having similar problem too so we can act together to solve our problem. Thanks a lot.

Jaclyn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I recently joined this forum to search out this misfire problem. I have owned my Rio since 2001 and for over two years the car has been in and out of the service centers of three different Kia dealers here in Florida. None have been able to keep the car runnning for more than two weeks. If anyone finds out what this mystery problem is with these cars please write back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey there folks...
I'm new to this forum, so here it goes - my wife and I bought our 2002 Kia Rio RXV and until the day a guy ran a red light and t-boned us it worked great - no mechanical problems to report at all. We got nailed by a full size pick-up truck doing 60km per hour - it hit dead on the driver side door, and we both were OK (except some whiplash). I have to say I was very impressed with how the car held up to such a collision (although the impact was so severe it twisted the entire body and was a complete write-off). Also, oddly enough the impact didn't activate the airbags (sensors must be "front" impact sensitive only)

The only problems we had with our wagon was workmanship - the paint on the side-body moldings started to peel after the first winter; and the wiper arms front and back started to corrode very fast (even though they were treated).

The reliability of the Rio seems to be hit and miss - ours was a tank; could handle anything/haul tons of stuff, and very stable at 120-140 km/h......I guy I spoke to at my service centre bough the same model as we did and the thing won't run long enough for him to get it to the service bay (he totally freaked out - I didn't know what to say, as ours was great!)

Good luck to all experiancing problems; hound your local dealer and write Korea too.......make sure you get results - they can't afford bad press, and they need us to support they're cars. And I'm buying another Rio RXV, a 2003 this time - I heard the engines are much more stable than everyhing before it. Hope I don't get a piece of crap - cuz the resale on Kia's is ridiculous.

Ciao,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had too many problems to list really and am really sick of my car, i bought it sept 2001 2001 model hatchback, warranty ended so did my master cylinder, $800 later and now a problem with the front drivers side tyre/wheel making whizzing whirling noises so bad i thought it would fall of while i was driving the 35km home with my daughter, lets just say a hour later i was home and my car hasnt left the driveway and wont till i can get it into the dealership, who are crap anyway, i've also had problems with waiting 4 months for my passenger back door panel and rear quarter panel to be replaced after some moron reversed into my parked car, the rear drivers side door not unlocking, window problems, rust problems???? mind you it does have a anti rust thing on it, handbrake problems, steering problems, wheel alignment causing shaking steering wheel only a week after the alignment got done, door seals coming of brokem after owning the car for only six months, just to list a few! And i should add my car has never been thrashed always is driven sensibly, and gets serviced often, and has only done 75,000km and i'm sick of it and definatley wont be buying a kia again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To all those people who have Rio's:
who else thinks Kia needs to take them off the market? i really think thats what they need to do, because my piece of crap Rio is running like a piece of crap. it has the same problems as the rest of you. i detest that **** car, sometimes i want to pay someone to just steal it, or set it on fire. i almost got in a couple of accidents from it wanting to stall, once it turned off on me in the middle of making a right-hand turn, and some car almost rammed into me. i never forgave that junk, to this day i'm scared to drive that thing. as soon as i start trusting it again it does that stalling crap. well anyways i think Kia needs to take those malfunctioned pieces of junk off the market before they kill someone. oh yeah and i feel sorry for the people who buy the Rio, because really you're buying a deathtrap. I dont recommend the Kia Deathtrap(Rio) to NOONE. my next car is **** well not gonna be a KIA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The rio is soon to be off the market, or at least our rios are, reviews are looking good about the new '06 rios, and they are redesigned from the ground up. I hope they put an entirely different engine management system in. There's absolutely nothing wrong mechanically with our rios but the engine management system seems to be what is giving everyone all these mystery problems. The gen 2 cars like mine seem to be a little better than the gen 1 cars but even mine doesn't like to run right when started up cold, and I'm holding my breath about how my auto tranny will hold up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts