Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was looking into replacing my standard radio in the 2012 LX with the OEM Nav that comes with higher models for a simple install. Does anyone have a link where I can purchase that?

or if you have the same Sportage as mine, and have replaced your unit with Nav what did you buy? I will definitely need to retain the steering wheel functions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I get what I ask for huh? :D Did anyone check out the link I posted that goes to the Kia parts website. The unit titled DVD player? It's a good price if it is in fact the OEM Nav

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,868 Posts
Way too cheap for the NAV

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Seems like by the time you get a factory nav unit (and amp/sub), you could have just ponied up the cash to get it in the car from the beginning.

That said, you get what you pay for and I would be mindful of any "factory looking" units, mainly because they are generally crap. You might as well scour eBay for a name brand unit, even if it is used, and install it. The steering wheel controls are overrated. I never understood them anyway, I mean, it isn't like the stereo isn't less than a foot to the right of your steering wheel anyway.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
not quite. I got a rather unusual steal on my Sportage. I know for a fact I would spend less. Also, I am able to customize to my standard, leaving off things that I do not want.
The sub would have been replaced anyways, I already own an amp from my previous car, and the only reason I am interested in the original Nav is for plug and play install I can do alone. I would prefer a Pioneer but the idea of getting all of the wiring and such to work with the steering wheel and original mic gives me a headache. But, more than likely I will pay someone else to do a Pioneer anyways.

I prefer keeping the steering wheel controls not because of length to the dash but because useless buttons on my steering wheel would puzzle why I bothered replacing it in the first place.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
Don't some of the new units have adapters that plug into the OEM steering wheel controls? I know for non Nav units you can get adapters so you can plug the steering wheel controls into them and then plug that into the head unit. Dunno if they offer that for these 3rd party Nav Units.

that Witson unit looks amazing though. So many features on that thing.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the new Witson looks nice, but I get so weird giving that much money to a company that seems really sketchy. I know in the long run I will be happy with a Pioneer. They make the wires to plug into the OEM stuff. I am just not sure if it is a harness or wires, or if I could do it alone.
A bud of mine has a 2012 Chevy Cruze and he used the adapters for the OEM steering wheel controls. He recommended I get mine done professionally. He said I wouldn't want to fool with it.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
not quite. I got a rather unusual steal on my Sportage. I know for a fact I would spend less. Also, I am able to customize to my standard, leaving off things that I do not want.
The sub would have been replaced anyways, I already own an amp from my previous car, and the only reason I am interested in the original Nav is for plug and play install I can do alone. I would prefer a Pioneer but the idea of getting all of the wiring and such to work with the steering wheel and original mic gives me a headache. But, more than likely I will pay someone else to do a Pioneer anyways.

I prefer keeping the steering wheel controls not because of length to the dash but because useless buttons on my steering wheel would puzzle why I bothered replacing it in the first place.
Fair enough.

Dude I feel the same way about useless buttons on my steering wheel. I replaced the stereos in my last four cars and was left with the buttons that did nothing. :lol:

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Yeah the new Witson looks nice, but I get so weird giving that much money to a company that seems really sketchy. I know in the long run I will be happy with a Pioneer. They make the wires to plug into the OEM stuff. I am just not sure if it is a harness or wires, or if I could do it alone.
A bud of mine has a 2012 Chevy Cruze and he used the adapters for the OEM steering wheel controls. He recommended I get mine done professionally. He said I wouldn't want to fool with it.
Swapping out the head unit isn't hard, and you can pick up the steering wheel button adapter at Crutchfield, they aren't super cheap though.

It may have been harder on the Cruze, they have one of those crazy stereos that is not a standard DIN size or shape.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope so. I enjoy doing that stuff myself but that's different when I was fooling around with a 15 year old honda. :D Now that I put some real money down on something I feel like I should take care of the thing.

I just got a bright idea today. I was considering taking the spot out where the Sub is on the higher models and putting a 8 inch sub in it's place where the plastic is on the LX model. But then it hit me.. Why not just wire a flat box like you would in a truck and place it under the back seat? It seems a hell of a lot easier and I wouldn't have to rip ALL the panels off. Do you think it would fit?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Not sure where it would go under the back seat. Perhaps under the passenger seat would be an idea.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha yes, I typed that up last night before checking my car:eek: I now see there isnt a way under the seat unless you take the seat out. So now it looks like I may be back to putting it inside the dummy spot where the sub is on the higher models.

I would assume that all the models would be made primary the same to cut costs. So I am wondering that if I take the back right pannel off where the sub cut out is if there is mounting brackets for a sub to screw in??
What would you think?
Right now it looks like this. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Honestly, if it were me, I would go with an "under the seat" solution like you posted. Less wiring. Although a sub will probably perform better in the back of a hatch just due to acoustics.

I don't know man, six or one half dozen. :)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well getting an SX to begin with would have been a great solution to many of my problems like you said. But being young and dumb, this is my first car I've ever bought. I did get a heck of a deal though. $16,500. Can't complain about much I suppose.
Whichever route I take I'll let you know how it went. :D

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
That was a pretty good deal! I wouldn't sweat the "young and dumb" thing, some of us are old and dumb, ha ha.

I usually redo stereos in cars I buy, which is why I try to get the cheapest audio option. But honestly, I am getting lazier as time goes on, and I don't feel like fiddling with this car too much.

BTW there is a thread around here showing how someone put a sub in back there, it should help. Search for it, if I find it I will post the link.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts