Kia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi Charlie1717,

Congrats on the repair - nicely done. All those checks seem like a PITA, but are important to confirm motor integrity / to avoid spending unnecessary $$$..

I'd be "upgrading" my dad's ride, if given that choice also - I can appreciate that. Hopefully the time/effort you put into the Sporty pays off for you.

Always happy to help a fellow Ford (rebadged Kia) owner. (1997 Ford Aspire, my daughter's car..)

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
1992 Ford Festiva, 1991 Festiva, 2001 Kia Sportage
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi Charlie1717,

Congrats on the repair - nicely done. All those checks seem like a PITA, but are important to confirm motor integrity / to avoid spending unnecessary $$$..

I'd be "upgrading" my dad's ride, if given that choice also - I can appreciate that. Hopefully the time/effort you put into the Sporty pays off for you.

Always happy to help a fellow Ford (rebadged Kia) owner. (1997 Ford Aspire, my daughter's car..)

Regards,
GottaCruise
You mean Mazda (drivetrain),kia(assembled),ford(emblems) :) haha gotta love it!
It was quite a pain but well worth it. Having about $600 invested and coming out with a $4,000 car I can't complain. Being a broke 22 yr old college student it's hard to keep even the Buick, but I know a deal like this won't present itself for a long time and my dad will be ecstatic about it. He doesn't know anything about it! He has been driving my other Festiva that I had given to my 16 year old brother to get to school/get a job (but that has been on hold until he gets the car again). So it is a win win for everyone!

I'm digging the new sportages so I may be back ;)

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
To test the fuel pump relay you have to try to start the car with the jumper wire for the fuel pump on; if it starts in that condition then you have to replace the fuel pump relay. It is not a definitive test though, because there could be more than one cause that prevent it from starting. Anyway I have never needed to replace neither of those relays in 12 years.
Famous last words! Today I had to replace my Sportage fuel pump relay.

This morning I tried to start my Sportage, to take my daughter to her school; the engine was cranking but there was no signs of it to start. I had had already some troubles to start my Sportage in the previous days, more and more serious, but today was not starting at all. So I took my daughter to her school by my parents' car. Then I tested the fuel pump relay, using the jumper wire system, and that way my Sportage started, but as soon as I removed the jumper wire, the car stalled. So I bought a new fuel pump relay, at a car electrical parts shop, for six euros, I installed it, and since then on my Sportage can be started normally!

The new relay I bought is a 40A one, while the old one was a 30A relay, so the new relay is superior than the old one. At this point, for reliability, I think I will replace also the other equal relay that is in the relay box in the engine compartment, which is the main relay.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
... The new relay I bought is a 40A one, while the old one was a 30A relay, so the new relay is superior than the old one. At this point, for reliability, I think I will replace also the other equal relay that is in the relay box in the engine compartment, which is the main relay.
Hi Galf,

Glad to hear you got your Sporty fixed - congrats on the repair.

Nice job w/ diagnosing the issue down to the relay, that info. will help others here, myself included.

Even though the relays are supposed to be "life of vehicle", we Sporty owners routinely go -way- beyond that point, so eventually ... :blink:

If it was me I would also replace the Main relay, as a preventative maintenance item: I would be interested in knowing if after replacing both relays, did that help and/or correct the voltage drop issue you were tracing down.

Regards,
Robert (aka GottaCruise)

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your words and your suggestion, so useful for me that I have already started to follow it; for the moment I bought the new relay to replace the old main relay, but then I decided to move the old main relay into the fuel pump relay housing and the new fuel pump relay into the main relay housing, because I am too curious to know how long the old main relay will last further! So I put the new relay that I just bought into my Sportage glovebox as a preventative measure, but I will move it into my Sportage car jack storage, which has become my Sportage tools storage (I would like to enlarge it to increase my Sportage tool cargo capacity). Some pictures:

Fulvio

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
In the good old days we did not arbitrarily install new relays.

The contacts carbon up, so we removed the jacket, burnished the contacts and readjusted the air space.... Philip

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your words and your suggestion, so useful for me that I have already started to follow it; for the moment I bought the new relay to replace the old main relay, but then I decided to move the old main relay into the fuel pump relay housing and the new fuel pump relay into the main relay housing, because I am too curious to know how long the old main relay will last further! So I put the new relay that I just bought into my Sportage glovebox as a preventative measure, but I will move it into my Sportage car jack storage, which has become my Sportage tools storage (I would like to enlarge it to increase my Sportage tool cargo capacity). Some pictures:

Fulvio
Greetings,

You know now that you've moved that relay, it will outlast the service life of the Sporty.. :D (Automotive law of averages, rule 101..)

--
Reason I recommend replacing the relays vs. trying to clean & regap are simple, yet complex:

I simply do not know the max. cycle life (MTBF) of the relays,

the relays are located in a "shielded", but not watertight compartment & are exposed to a wide degree of temperature fluctuation (in the engine compartment), heat, and humidity,

the low cost ($$$) of the relays tends to indicate they are not manufactured with higher-grade contacts (palladium/rhodium, vs. nickel silver),

*As HighScan Pro has previously indicated, service techs. have seen a fair amount of relay issues w/ the Sporty, particularly in the US - when we had issues w/ the '01 Sporty, this was also explained to me by the service tech. at our local Kia dealer .. I dunno if it is a quality issue vs. running the relays with poor grounding vs. ???, but replacing them, when suspect, was also indicated to me.

those are the reasons behind me recommending to others to just replace the relays, vs. trying to clean & regap.

^ All that said, if I was in the middle of nowhere and suspected a relay issue, I'd be removing the dust cap and cleaning 'em myself... :p

Glad to hear the Sporty & you are cruising again!

Regards,
Robert

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
(...)

If it was me I would also replace the Main relay, as a preventative maintenance item: I would be interested in knowing if after replacing both relays, did that help and/or correct the voltage drop issue you were tracing down.

(...)
It appears that replacing the main relay corrected my Sportage voltage drop issue; but I just checked a couple of connectors (IAC and MAF).

I think you are great at working on cars electrical system GottaCruise :clap:

I will buy a contact burnisher when I will come to US.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Thanks Galf.

With the Sporty's here, and all the electrical "fun" I've had over the years, it's almost a full-time job.. :)

Best thing you can do is -exactly- what you are doing: go through & clean up ground points, Q/A exposed connections and clean up on a yearly schedule, keep any exposed points lubricated, and the engine compartment clean.

--
So I finally got around to changing the oil in the Sporty yesterday, and after replying to tommyleea's post, I figured, heck, it's been a year or two, why don't I check the fuel pump ground ring on the '00 Sporty?

Good thing I did - it was rusted over, and looked as lousy as when I purchased it back in '08.. Only took about 40,000 miles for it to corrode over again. In the town we live in, we have to truck our trash down to the town 'recycling center', so I'm sure that over that time (something) got down in the service well and did a great job causing the mess I found..

Oh, and found an oil leak at the front of the motor while going to drain the oil.. Looks like it's coming from above the front pan lip.. So a new front oil seal and woodruff key are on order from Kia today..

I love old cars. :)

Hope you're having as much fun as I am - glad the weather's warm in NH again! :)

GottaCruse

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
Hello GottaCruise,

Yes, I am having a lot of fun too, thanks, indeed I just bought a lot of parts, moreover my Sportage right front hub lost its airtight, so water and dirt got sucked into it and the bearings rusted, so I am in the process of fixing them; obviously that happened when me and my brother were practicing off road alone with my Sportage, on a mountain, with mud puddles and no telephone signal :eek:, leaving us without 4WD!

By the way, I am in Miami right now, but I am leaving soon, and I bought also a couple of rear shock absorbers, KYB Gas-A-Just (Sportage auto parts here cost even 10 times less than in Italy), but I just realized that they contain pressurized inflammable gas, so I cannot take them on the airplane, therefore if you like I can send them to you, for free of course. Just send me a private message with your address, but possibly soon because I can send them only tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi Galf,

Just wanted to say -Thanks- again for the shocks, most appreciated.

I'm saving up now to do the shocks, and struts, upper control arms, lower ball joints, and tie rod ends (and alignment) in (1) repair - it's a real mess under the front end. (Former owner bought & installed one of those "complete" suspension kits off eBay and installed just before I purchased, (everything) has a torn or blown rubber seal on it.)

Will get pics & post when the front end rebuild happens, hopefully in the next few weeks.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts