Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I have an 03 Spectra 1.8 that jumped time before I bought it. I replaced the head, timing belt, coils, wires and plugs but I cant get it to run smoothly. It is timed up to specs (marks on valve cover to E mark on Exhaust and I mark on intake) and the crank gear mark lined up with the cast on the block.
Turns over smoothly without spark but as soon as I hook the coils and wires up, it starts... but it bucks and sputters and knocks and bucks and is a hot mess. CEL says P0300 Random Misfire, P0301 Misfire Cylinder 1 & P0303 Misfire Cylinder 3.
As a diagnostic test I've pulled the wires from 1 and 3 and started it up. It runs like crap of course but better than when 1 and 3 are hooked up. Ive also tried just running the wires to 1 and 3 and leaving the coils out of 2 and 4. It runs the same as it did on 1 and 3.
Checked the injectors, cleaned them and moved their locations.

Has anyone had an issue like this before?

Thanks in advance for reading through this and for any insight you might have! :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
If this is a "wasted spark" engine (no distributor and two coils) I believe the pairs are 1&4, 2&3 and your plug wiring is wrong...This will make a very rough running engine.
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this is a "wasted spark" engine (no distributor and two coils) I believe the pairs are 1&4, 2&3 and your plug wiring is wrong...This will make a very rough running engine.
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Dave
Because of the shape of the coil packs and the valve cover where they mount; the packs can only be placed at 2 & 4. It is possible to run the wires from 1 to 4 and 2 to 3 or 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 and I've tried both configurations to no avail. I do appreciate that thought though because you are right in reference to 1 and 4 / 2 and 3 being the same strokes. And I hadnt thought about that. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,129 Posts
Isn't it 1-3, and 2-4? Long time since I saw a t8d but if memory serves.....
Length of wires should help. Long one goes to farthest coil and shortest to the closest. Im 99.9% sure coils are in cyl 2 and 4.
And of course, new plug wires right? And plugs gapped to what?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts