Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sportage LX w/ Convenience Pkg
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just got this 2013 Sportage last week and immediately want to do just a few mods. One of which is the Horn, and the other is the HID headlights...which I was supposed to tackle tonight.

I purchased these

When I went to install them I am running into a few unforeseen issues.

This is what the stock headlight looks like.

This is what the stock harness looks like.

The inside of the housing looks like this.

It seems like the base of the HIDs is too big and they dont fit... I dont want to do any major modification/cutting to the stock headlight, or with the HID itself (incase I need to return it and get something else....)

Although I bought the H11, the base of the HID headlight has a little "H4" on it... did they send me the wrong stuff???

HELP!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
Check the sticky at the top of the page. Did you try to insert the HID in your housing? It's hard to tell if it's too big by that pic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The HID will not fit into the housing, part of me thinks that it is just the wrong kit... It also didnt come with any wiring harness or anything, is that needed? I tested the electrical and the new HID turns on with my headlights just fine. The only issue is installing the actual bulb...

You can see in the close up of the HID bulb, that there is a secondary bulb there for some reason, the one with the white bottom.. I have no idea what that is there for...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage EX
5 Posts
Our bulbs are H11b. You have to plug the positive and ground from the hid kit into the stock harness. It's all in the hid thread. Be prepared to cut a hole in the weather caps that seal the stock bulbs in the housing. That's the biggest mod you'll have to do. Don't lose the tiny screws that hold the bulbs in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xgalvan... the thing is, the actual "twist and lock" style base of the HID is bigger then the original headlights base...

So looks like amazon sent me the wrong HIDs...If you look on my picture above it shows a little "h4" and when I did a google search for h4, I got the following picture which looks just like the one I have in my hands right now...

Great, lets hope the return process is better then them shipping me the wrong product.

THanks everyone for the quick help :) I think I will order them from hidsrus.com

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
what did you buy???

People, if you do not know what you are doing, do NOT do that. You had H11b in the car. With some READING, especially the STICKY here
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/61963-quick-tutorial-2011-sportage-hid-conversion.html
you would know that H11 is the way to go. Not H4!!!!

Now, since you already bought very "cheap" kit, at 6000K, what will look even bluer in KIA projectors, it is time to get HID replacement lamps. Either go eBay and get H11 at 4300K, 5000K max (unless you belong to those blue-crazy people) and continue with your mod, or look in some other places, like TRS, or DDM or whatever you like.

The prices go anywhere from 15 USD to over 150 USD per a pair of HID lamps.

If it was up to me - I would return the kit you got...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow dude.. I didn't order H4... I ordered H11 and they sent me H4... hence all the issues. I didnt think the moderators here would be so harsh... Maybe you should read my post a little better before going on your rant. I clearly gave the link to exactly what I purchased... and I read the sticky plenty of times, cant follow along if the equipment doesnt fit..

Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - H11 - 6000k : Amazon.com : Automotive

And they come highly recommended... it was just an issue with getting the wrong item.

I already processed the return with amazon.. unfortunately this whole process has led into a new issue...which I am creating a new post on... about my hood release....this is what I get for rushing...

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
lol, PLP is just like that... just concerned on things... but anyway.. just secure the pins properly.. i installed a kit on the hyundai santa-fe.. same H11b it was a pain.. glad to help soon.. open your hood first BTW...

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Whats the small bulb for in the light? Does it have a purpose or just add tint?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
thats the useless high beam, turns on like candle, serves as drl mainly...

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
I didnt think the moderators here would be so harsh..
lol, PLP is just like that
Maybe I reacted to harsh on it. I am sorry.
It simply appeared to me that Pakuriem did not know what he was doing.

It was obvious you got wrong stuff. Why the question? It sounds like "is my car white or red?".

Anyway,
I clearly gave the link to exactly what I purchased... and I read the sticky plenty of times, cant follow along if the equipment doesnt fit..

Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - H11 - 6000k : Amazon.com :
As you see the description is H11; however, you get to choose what bulb base you need.

So as I said - get H11 with this kit, or get another kit from different supplier. Preferably cheaper one as the "best kits" are overpriced.

Accept my apology for being too harsh.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PLP, you have been redeemed :) Thx

And guess what, I am very excited because today the new HIDs arrive! So expect to have an updated detailed post with my installation. I ordered 6000k I just hope they don't turn out to be "too blue" cause that just looks bad.

LOL my Aunt lives in Haslett

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THREAD SOLVED. HOW TO INSTALL GUIDE - HIDs No Epoxy/Multimeter Needed

OK so the HIDs finally arrived and I got right into the installation. I ordered them from Kia Sportage HID Kits Kia Sportage Xenon Lights Kia Sportage HIDs headlights Conversions Kia Sportage bulbs

Tools Needed:
- H11 style HIDs
- Screwdriver
- Dremel/Drill (For cutting a small hole in the end cap)

Optional Tools...
- Wire cutters
- Velcro/Sticky Mounts

PART 1

Step 1: Pop the hood, remove the end cap from the low beam (furthest right) part of the headlamp assembly. Twist the stock bulb left and it will pop out, we got this far without any tools needed!

From there you will see the h11 mount piece that has three tiny silver screws in the shape of a triangle

Step 2: Unscrew all 3 and store in a safe place, now you can see the 2 power wires. (COLOR CODED RED/BLACK)(see below).

The little plastic housing piece for the 2 power wires at the end slides up, I found that detaching it from the H11 base was easier to make room for all the HID wires we are putting in later. TEST YOUR HIDS TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK!!

Step 3: Now it is time to modify the stock end cap so the HID wires can pass through. I just used a drill and cut out the center to roughly 3/4". Slide the HID wires through your new hole. Back to the optional tools needed... I didn't want to cut a hole large enough for the HID to go through the end cap hole, So I cut the HID wires with my wire strippers and reconnected them after I slid just the wires through. You can see what I mean on my imageshack page http://imageshack.us/f/96/20120912191519126.jpg/

Step 4: Push the seal through until it locks in place. The end cap either has been upgraded with a thicker plastic or the HID kit I bought had a perfect inner circe size for a perfect seal. Which means no need for any epoxy/silicone weather proofing! Check it out.

End of Part 1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Part 2: THREAD SOLVED. HOW TO INSTALL GUIDE - HIDs No Epoxy/Multimeter Needed

Part 2:

Now that we have the end caps modified for the HID wire to pass through, it is time to plug them in!

Step 1: Plug in the positive and negative wires of your HID kit, to the positive and negative plastic wire housing of the stock wires.

Step 2: I did this a certain way that you dont really need to do. I screwed in the new HID into the H11 base BEFORE screwing the H11 base (3 small screws...remember?) into the actual headlamp. It was easier for me to align the triangle up for where the screws go in, without losing any.

Step 3: Now that the HID is mounted in the headlamp harness, all we have do to is screw back on the end cap (Righty tighty, lefty loosey... lol) And mount the ballast somewhere. I did just like simplicityand mounted it on top of the fuse panel box just for easy access. However this is only a temporary thing during the "return/exchange" period of the HIDs. After I know they are working 100% I will mount under the fuse box on that metal base you can see in the picture.

Because the ballast location is temporary, I just used velcro to hold the ballast in place. The HIDs came with mounting hardware so in 30 days I will mount it in a more "permanent" but still not intrusive mannor, wanna keep it stock as possible.

I did the same for the other side...

The moment of truth...turn those bad boys on (I bought 6000k and I am very happy with the outcome, although they do show blue more in pictures.

And
Imageshack - 2012091223302438.jpg

And
Imageshack - 20120912211525791.jpg

I feel like I missed something but its already 1:30am and my brain is starting to turn to mush and is entering "sleep mode".

Message me or reply with your results/questions...

Big thanks to simplicity for the first write-up, wouldn't have completed without that as a reference.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
it will be nicer to have fogs too...

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did your sportage come with daytime running lights (DRL)?
Yeah, I believe all the 2013s do. But the EX and SX have the "UFO" style DRLs that look sick!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts