Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People,

Looking for some help here. My wife and I bought a 2012 Kia Sorento 4 cyl AWD and it has been having a harmonic vibration for about the last 5000 miles (Vehicle has about 15000 miles on it). It is most noticeable at about 60 mph but can be heard/felt at lower and higher speeds. Took the car into the dealership and a tire had a bulge in it. They put on a new tire, and balanced all four tires. The problem was still there and had not really changed. I took the vehicle back for them to look at. They drove it and then drove some of the other 2012 Sorento's on the lot. They told me the other 4cyl on the lot had the same problem, and they noticed it to a lesser extent on the V-6's. I was told that this is just the way they are. It does not appear to be a transmission issue because it makes the same noise regardless of what gear the car is in, and still makes it when in neutral at 60 mph. I'm thinking it's a drivetrain issue as engine rpm does not seem to matter either. What is my next step?

Thanks!
Noah

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Hum

The last car that I had that had a hum, coming on strongest at 45 mph, had a bad wheel bearing. The may or may not apply to you.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento I4 FWD 6Spd, 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6Spd
118 Posts
Try rotating your tires. You might have uneven tread wear.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
People,

Looking for some help here. My wife and I bought a 2012 Kia Sorento 4 cyl AWD and it has been having a harmonic vibration for about the last 5000 miles (Vehicle has about 15000 miles on it). It is most noticeable at about 60 mph but can be heard/felt at lower and higher speeds. Took the car into the dealership and a tire had a bulge in it. They put on a new tire, and balanced all four tires. The problem was still there and had not really changed. I took the vehicle back for them to look at. They drove it and then drove some of the other 2012 Sorento's on the lot. They told me the other 4cyl on the lot had the same problem, and they noticed it to a lesser extent on the V-6's. I was told that this is just the way they are. It does not appear to be a transmission issue because it makes the same noise regardless of what gear the car is in, and still makes it when in neutral at 60 mph. I'm thinking it's a drivetrain issue as engine rpm does not seem to matter either. What is my next step?

Thanks!
Noah
You better get use to it or get rid of it...I have the EXACT same problem with my '12 SX Sorento V6 AWD, after a lot of $$$ trying different wheel balancing "ROAD FORCE" that cost a fortune with no susccess...my '08 AWD V6 SantaFe had the SAME problem, its all in the DRIVETRAIN I'd say my '12 Sorento is worse than my '08 SF :( Its even worse with WINTER TIRES.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Has anyone checked the carrier bearing for wear? The one on a fixed hanger that guides the driveshaft, and keeps it on center?

Or, did the driveshaft happen to lose a balance weight, & be off balance?

and finally, are the universal joints on the driveshaft itself worn?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
Like I mentioned above, 2 different model year with exact same problem...I say it's a powertrain flaw that needs to be addressed by Hyundai/Kia, I hope that 2013 are updated because I was really disappointed to find out that my '12 Sorento wasn't any better it even has a HUM in the rear end that my dealership told was NORMAL! so next SUV might be a different brand...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX V6
15 Posts
We test drove a 2012 4Cyl AWD that also had a strange vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle. Started around 10-15mph .

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Kia sorento V6 AWD has a high frequency vibration between 95 and 110 kmh new tires solved nothing. You can feel it on the seat and you can hear it, and yet the dealer doesn't seem to be concerned , it is very annoying, otherwise the vehicle is great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts