Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the verge of buying a Sportage, which I will use for standard highway/city driving. We do get a pretty decent amount of snow in the winter time and all my friends with SUVs recommend 4WD. However, the dealers at Kia, as well as at Ford (Escape), Hyundai (Tuscon), and Chevrolet (Equinox) all essentially tried to talk me down to the FWD, stating that the Traction Control was sufficient. Do the dealers have an ulterior motive here? If I'm not doing off-roading, do I need AWD?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage
84 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 Sportage with 2WD. I was looking into 4WD but changed my mind. I live in Wisconsin and it snows a lot here as well, but of course there hasn't been any snow around so I can't tell you how it handles in the snow. I can tell you if you go with 4WD it will be more expensive and the gas mileage is worse, but if money is not an option then you can go for it. The dealership I went through said if you don't intend on using the vehicle for offroad use, go with front wheel drive. The traction control is on full time unless you push the button to turn it off. They say the traction control sucks a bit more gas, but you don't have to have it on with clear conditions. If you go with any other SUV that you have listed, you would be paying more money, except for the. I have looked into the Equinox and test drove it, but it doesn't compare to the Sportage. have you test driven the Sportage or any other vehilce you are looking into buying? Front wheel drive vehicles handle well in the winter. I'd go with the Sportage with 2WD. Of course, the dealers want to make a sale, but I don't think they would beat around the bush about the traction control. If it were a Hummer with 2WD (I know they don't make them), I'm sure they would push for the 4WD because that is what it is made for. The 4WD Sportage isn't made for serious off-roading.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HI,

I live in Montreal, Canada and have a 2005 EX Sportage. If there is a lot of snow where you live go with the 4wd. 2 weeks ago we got 45cm of snow (17 inch) and the ESP was actually preventing me from plowing through the snow. Don't get me wrong, it's great to prevent losing control but when you have a lot of snow and you need to plow through it you need 4wd!

Good Luck in your purchase

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage
84 Posts
It's not everyday you see an SUV with a plow on it. In fact, I have never seen an SUV with a plow on it, and I live in Wisconsin, US. For plowing, you need a truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to correct myself. When I said plow I didn't mean actually plow the driveway. I meant to actually get enough force to move forward in deep snow!
And yes I agree, I have never seen a Sportage witha plow on the front of it. Let's leave that to the trucks!

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage
84 Posts
We have about 8-12 inches of snow coming our way, and so far my 2WD Sportage with traction control is holding up just fine. There is about 4 inches on the ground now and more to come, if it handles good now, it'll be just fine once the rest of the snow is on the ground. traction control is just fine. test drive both to feel the difference yourself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A dealer here in Colorado tried to talk me into a 2WD black even though I told him 4WD silver.

I went to another dealer and got the 4WD

4WD is indispensible about 4 times a year.

That is about how many times we a get a combo of snow and ice on the road. 4WD is nice for stop and go, mostly the go. And going uphill.

Since June of 2005, this past week is the first time I have locked the 4WD.

-e

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage 2001 Dodge 1500
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Sportage 4x4, When I bought it the 4x4 didnt work easy fix, replace the rubber vacuume lines, only other problem i have had was front wheel bearing going out. little more challenging. we like the little vehicle but have 111,000 on it now and thinking of buying a new one. We use the 4x4 all the time to go up our drive way, mainly to not tear up the drive way, I will get to the point, How are the FWD systems working in the vehicles now days with all the traction control stuff. We dont get much snow anymore like years past, just have to go up and down this steep hill. Will the FWD do alright in your opinions ? in the past if foul weather (ice,snow) we just park it up top and ride the 4 wheeler or my 4x4 truck to get to it. I havent owned a FWD vehicle so this is why I am asking. Thanks. Im new to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and drive a 2007 2wd. I have found the traction control to be a pain in my side because it is difficult to get going as there is alot of ice on the roads right now and the TC kicks in all of the time. Therefore, I usually turn it off and have had no problems. I have found the 2wd to be adequate and quite predictable. As for getting the 4wd model, I would only suggest it if you live in the mountains or north of Winnipeg, which would put you in the Arctic Circle.

·
Registered
2005 Sportage CRDTi XS 4WD Auto, 2000 Alfa 166 V6
50 Posts
Hi, last year we lived in Kent in the UK. Parked downhill on our drive. Overnight it snowed. 2wd would not pull the car up the drive. 4WD on lock back up the drive with no problems. Paid for itself.

Regards

rob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts