Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Sorento bought new 10/03, 109,000 gentle miles, all service done at dealerships we lived near for the past ten years. timing belt etc...

A year and change ago while on the interstate it died, no check engine light. Coasted to the side. It was 100 degrees out we had 5 adults because of a funeral in Alabama. Re started and never had a problem again..... Er until, now

Driving @ 40 miles per hour dies, no check engine light, engine still on but no power and wobbling around 800 RPM

Driving @ 10 miles per hour, dies as in stalls, check engine light is on! :)
dealer says crankshaft sensor.... 1300 bucks later.... needed some other normal service as well... NO

Dies... leaves wife in traffic, she limps to side of road, dealer says.....after 3 days of having the vehicle with scanner on module, "running within normal parameters". and you should trade in? What? we own it outright, have not beat it and you tell me there is nothing you can do because the stupid check engine light is not on?

Second opinion was similar:mad:

It will appear to lose power, you roll to hopefully the side of a road if your lucky, then restart maybe but not immediatly, then you get another mile or so, repeat, then all of a sudden... bam:eek: back to a normal car, drive me anywhere..... frustrating....

Any takers Kia owners? Advice that is? Expeiriencee? someone figured this out I know it:huh:

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
At a guess I would say as long as the crank sensor was replaced properly, and it would want to be for $1300, then the cam position sensor has gone as well.
That one should cost less to replace because it is accessable right at the top. See if you can get the codes pulled by someone who doesn't have a vested interest in selling you a new car.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Your symptoms are similar to mine when my cam/crank sensors were going. Both on my '03 Town and Country, and the Sorento.

When I had mine done, I had them do both Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors (We did one at a time with the T&C, and only when we changed BOTH did it actually run correctly, so I requested both right off the bat), and do the rest of the 60,000mi service (I was at 53,000mi at the time) to include the timing belt, coolant, oil, diffs, etc. It came to just under $1K, from my local dealer where I bought it used the year before.

Since they already changed the one sensor, do the other, and things should get a lot better for you. Half the time it didn't throw any codes, it would just "stall", sometimes would start right back up, other times it would work after sitting for a little while. It got to the point where if I shut if off, I knew I would have to wait at least 1/2hr before I could start it again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts