Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the car used. I was in a severe car accident where mine was totaled and just badly needed a car, so I bought it (2002 or 2004 Rio) off a whim.

Well it runs fine, but has a few issues that I think are related.

For starters, the gas milage is no where what i was told it would be. I see it rated at 22MPG, but people are saying they get around 30+ MPG. I get way less than both. According to what I calculated I should get above 200 miles off a full tank of gas. I get about 100, at best. I drive around 18 miles per day, and have to fill it up every 3 or 4 days.

Another issue I have is that sometimes the car accelerates slowly. I know it isn't a speed demon, but i'm talking walking speed when i press the gas. It normally happens right when we start it up, then goes away, then comes back after we have been driving for around 10 minutes. It'll be extremely slow up until around 30MPH, then be entirely fine. The temp gauge is staying at the middle, and the fan kicks in and it goes a little below that, so it isn't getting hot at all. Shifts fine, the engine isn't working too hard, or anything noticeable from that part.

I noticed two things
-if i hit the gas really hard, it will be fine. So i assumed it was the TPS, I bought one, just haven't put it on yet as I don't know if it will mess up the computer? Obviously with my gas mileage you can understand why I don't want to constantly hit the gas hard after every take off.

-It only does this when its super hot outside. I found a license plate in the car, so I'm assuming the car is from the East where weather is a bit nicer. well the car is in Arizona now, and the temps are at 115+ now. Today it was humid and the car is running fine, but when it gets hot in the mid day it sucks. At night when the weather gets to the low 90's to 80's, the car drives like a dream.

There are no noticeable sounds, no check engine light, no anything.

And I will also add, we changed the spark plugs and caps (forget the name), cleaned the filters, got new filters, and did all the small things. I had several mechanics look at it, and none of them said anything about what it could be.... It still does it, not nearly as bad as before, but it still does it and it sucks. I love driving this car at night, its actually pretty fun, but during the day when i'm sitting there thinking "will I make it?!" its terrible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I be able to check that without taking it off?

I've taken it to three mechanics telling them about this issue, and none have told me anything beyond it needing a motor mount.

Could it be something with the timing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts