Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I recently bough a Sorento, its a 2016 V6, it has a 3.3L but its not GDI, I'm in Costa Rica so we get a different engine.

Thing it, it recently started making a weird noise but exclusively when accelerating, as soon as I come off the accelerator the noise stops. Only way for me to describe it is that this is very similar to the noise its made when the brake pads are worn out and there's like a steel piece rubbing against the disk rotor, very similar to that.

What's curious is that is not a constant sound, so when I'm accelerating the sounds is like if you had it on a single point on the wheels and only sounds when that point meets another point. (noise, no noise, noise, no noise and increases the fastest I go)

Hopefully you get my idea.

I looked around but some threads applied only to the previous Sorento with some already deleted.

Thank you in advance and sorry of my bad english.

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
Your 'bad' English is 1000% better than my bad Spanish!

Here's a thought: Assuming it's acceleration that is the issue, and not just speed ... I wonder if the motor is solidly holding in the mounts during acceleration. During acceleration, the engine wants to shift position, but should remain constrained by the mounts, including one ACTIVE mount. If it's not, and things move even slightly, it would be possible for something to start rubbing somewhere that it shouldn't, especially on the 'front' (well, as much 'front' as you think on a transverse engine!) where all of the pulleys are located. That said, it is often possible to duplicate that kind of problem in the driveway by pushing quickly on the pedal. Can you get it to do it then? If so, a friend might be able to observe the problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Your 'bad' English is 1000% better than my bad Spanish!

Here's a thought: Assuming it's acceleration that is the issue, and not just speed ... I wonder if the motor is solidly holding in the mounts during acceleration. During acceleration, the engine wants to shift position, but should remain constrained by the mounts, including one ACTIVE mount. If it's not, and things move even slightly, it would be possible for something to start rubbing somewhere that it shouldn't, especially on the 'front' (well, as much 'front' as you think on a transverse engine!) where all of the pulleys are located. That said, it is often possible to duplicate that kind of problem in the driveway by pushing quickly on the pedal. Can you get it to do it then? If so, a friend might be able to observe the problem.
Thanks @ecanderson

Your comment made me remember a very important point, its only when in motion, I've tried pulling over as soon as the sound is there and press the gas pedal but no noise there. Reading around they mentioned it could be an oil / oil filter issue, I did the oil/filter change today and no luck, noise still there.

About the mounts issue, it could be, I've notice it happens less if I put it in ECO than if on SPORT, when the engine gets "more aggressive".

Thanks

Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
This will sound REALLY stupid, but make sure all your lug nuts are tight.
On my 2016 SX I had a grinding shuddering noise on hard acceleration. Twice.
Both times I tightened the lug nuts on the drivers side rear tire and it stopped.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
This will sound REALLY stupid, but make sure all your lug nuts are tight.
On my 2016 SX I had a grinding shuddering noise on hard acceleration. Twice.
Both times I tightened the lug nuts on the drivers side rear tire and it stopped.
Easy to check, I'll do that tomorrow morning

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
The greater the acceleration, the more torque is placed upon the engine, and the greater chance that any 'wobble' in the mounts can cause interference somewhere. I'd be looking at the rotating components (pulleys, in particular) that are in close proximity to other components, to see if there's any signs of wear on the face or edges. Hard to imagine what it would be, but the symptom (sound) fits.

All of this presumes, of course, that the problem really does turn out to be under the hood and not somewhere else up front that just sounds that way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a sample of the sound, this is going up a small hill to my place, it was so hard to get so my apologies on it not being clear to hear. This is going very slow, the sound goes faster but not louder than this. I think that when I go really fast it stops.

You guys think this could for some reason be the breaks? I know is only when accelerating but and felt something today when pressing the breaks also on the hill to my place, the car also has like a break pad smell, like if they got hot or something.

What are your thoughts? Anything I should really worry about? Or can I take it easy?

Will take it to the break shop tomorrow morning

Here's the clip:
https://soundcloud.com/diego-leon-76%2Fsorentosound

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Coming from the break shop, front pads are metal but new, no signs of any metal against other metal. Rear pad are still the original ones and are in great shape. Everything got clean up and lubed with some anti-noise thing.

Out of the shop and sound is still there.

Another weird thing is, sounds is related to speed and not engine acceleration, meaning, sounds the same at 20MPH (example speed) in 1st gear revved up as in 2nd or 3rd gear with lower RPMs.

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
Another weird thing is, sounds is related to speed and not engine acceleration, meaning, sounds the same at 20MPH (example speed) in 1st gear revved up as in 2nd or 3rd gear with lower RPMs.
OK -- THAT is a new data point. So it still occurs only under acceleration, but is evidently not related to engine RPM. Is that correct?

Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
You might want to check the CV/Halfshafts for wear marks... The engine torques one way or the other causing the trans-axle to move and possibly cause the CV shaft to rub against something close... This would happen only when the car (CV shafts) is/are moving...
Also one of the CV shaft bearings or axle bearings may be going bad.... Try turning the car left or right and see if the noise changes..
Just a few thoughts...
Dave

Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
Could even be a bad wheel bearing, They only make noise in certain conditions. Had one that only sounded off on left turns.

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
Yeah, but they tend to growl when the bearings start going wonky. You can tell which side it is by the direction of turn as you load up the bearing. Had that happen on my last Santa Fe, come to think of it.

Whatever I'm hearing or think I'm hearing in his audio, it seems like it is so high pitched that one side or the other of whatever is rubbing - if that's what it is - has to be pretty light weight metal. Were you able to pick up anything at 10.5 and 12 seconds in another attempt? Thought I heard it earlier in the recording, too, but it was too weak to pick out there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, issue solved, turned out to be on the driveshaft to the rear diff, where there's a boot, the mechanic said it was dry, he added some grease and its all good now, thanks for those who helped!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts