Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego v6 LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Burnt 2 starters, an alternator, and then replaced the ignition switch in my 2009 Kia Borrego. Starter still engages after its running, especially on a cold start. It sometimes starts when turning key to on position, by itself. It also has engaged when putting the car in park. I’m at a loss. Any idea’s?
Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
632 Posts
Sounds like the infamous GM ignition switch assembly. A spring would fail creating a failure mode where your vehicle would start by itself. Had this happen with a 97 Chevy Cavalier. The entire keyed ignition switch in the steering column was replaced and the issue was resolved. Also, do not hang a bunch of extra 'stuff' on your key fob. The extra weight may create a failure in the switch creating your exact issue. Hope this helps! Good Luck.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego v6 LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the infamous GM ignition switch assembly. A spring would fail creating a failure mode where your vehicle would start by itself. Had this happen with a 97 Chevy Cavalier. The entire keyed ignition switch in the steering column was replaced and the issue was resolved. Also, do not hang a bunch of extra 'stuff' on your key fob. The extra weight may create a failure in the switch creating your exact issue. Hope this helps! Good Luck.
I changed the ignition switch. Still doing it.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,318 Posts
Did you try pulling the starter relay after it starts and is running? If not, try that to find out if the starter continues to engage on it's own, or if that problem goes away with that relay removed.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego v6 LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I will try that after school today. If it’s the relay, it’s a pretty simple fix? I won’t need to take it to the dealership to be flashed or anything?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yes, IF the relay is sticking closed, replacing it would be the easiest of fixes. However, if removing the relay eliminates the starter issue, that doesn't automatically mean it's a bad relay causing the problem. It could also be that there's a short in the wiring, or the ECM sending a signal that it shouldn't be. So the relay removal test is likely to only be the first step in diagnosing the problem, and you move along one of two possible paths, depending on what happens when the relay is removed.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego v6 LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Thank you! I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow.
It sounded like you were a capable DIYer, based on your previous posts. If so, why would you take it to a stealership without first doing some fairly simple testing on your own? But perhaps I misunderstood, and all of the prior work that you mentioned was done by others. In any case, I don't have a very good opinion of the typical stealership service department, and would always recommend a good, honest independent shop to those who can't or don't want to DIY. But who knows, maybe I'll be wrong this time and you'll get a good result from this outfit. Hope it works out well for you.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,613 Posts
Burnt 2 starters, an alternator, and then replaced the ignition switch in my 2009 Kia Borrego. Starter still engages after its running, especially on a cold start. It sometimes starts when turning key to on position, by itself. It also has engaged when putting the car in park. I’m at a loss. Any idea’s?
Thank you!
After reading the above post by @kiaguy002 , I've got to ask, who did this work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts