Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to get a stuck caliper slide out? I am working on new pads/rotors and it was going fine until I found one of the slides is stuck. I used liberal amounts of spray lube and it can turn (not freely, a wrench is needed to move it) but I can't get it to slide in/out. I knew the rears went to easy and I would get stuck on something...

Also, do you use a dab of brake pad lube on them or is there somethig better to put on them when reassembled?

·
Banned
79 Posts
The back 'slides' may be different design than the front ones, hard to tell what you're talking about without seeing a pic, but going from guessing, the rear 'sliders' may be a different design? Maybe there is a pic on the calliper that slides into that part you're trying to remove, kind of like it's a stationary 'bushing' that a calliper 'pin' slides in and out of etc? The best thing to use for the callipers slides is just a tube of brake parts lube, usually the one I use is the blue/purple looking stuff that you can use on any of the moving brake parts, and anti vibration stuff for the back of the brake pads. Just make sure you do not get that stuff on the surface of the pads that touches the rotors, or on the rotors themselves. This will not be good for your brakes at all, and will cause either noises when you break, or cause the brakes to not be as effective, and you'll have to end up replacing the pads and rotor once again.

Main thing is, you want to make sure any moving/sliding parts are properly lubed so they move freely and smoothly. And don't get that stuff on the actual braking contact surfaces.

You can get 'brake calliper lube' and brake 'disk quiet' at canadian tire etc.

Good luck!

(P.s search youtube for tips/instructions on doing stuff like this, try different 'wording' in your searches and you can find out/learn how to do most things yourself from youtube, it's great for this kind of stuff)

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I had this problem on the left front lower caliper slide on my Rondo. Ended up having to pull the bracket off (2 14mm bolts), put the bracket in a vise, heat it up with an oxy-acetelyne torch, and work it out with a pair of channel locks. I ended up replacing the slide pin (about $20 US).

·
Registered
'07 rondo ex V6
47 Posts
Ditto too on the left front lower guide.. I used my air hammer. Knocked it right out a there. Use hi temp silicone grease when you reassemble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts