Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 f-150, 2000 sprtage EX 4X4 5 speed, 2009 smart cab, 2007 expadition limited.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
big snow in kansas city yesterday.

have not used the 4X4 on the car yet till today. the transfer case is going in to gear. can feel the pul down a bit. light come on on the dash. left the drive way got stuck right away.

got out opened the hood and started taking vacuum lines off. had vacuum down to the hubs.

neighbor helped to dig out and get back in the drive.

i took a dead blow hammer to them. i think they are going in now.

any advise before i take off again..

·
Registered
1993 f-150, 2000 sprtage EX 4X4 5 speed, 2009 smart cab, 2007 expadition limited.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oaky i have put a vacuum pump on the system. it will not hold a vacuum.

i did this after the solenoid, and at each of the hubs.

i can hear the hubs engage.

i think i will get new vacuum line and replace it all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i forgot,

the man i bought the car from said it work great last year.

the hubs look shiny and new.

the hubs have wern stamped on then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got them to work.

went and go vacuum line. replaced it all.

the system is working great.

should i take them apart and grease them?

is there any maintenance to the system i should do?

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
If there is no noise or free play in the hub you should be ok to leave the hubs as they are fts1966. Seems like the rubber vacuum lines were old and dry, and replacing them fixed your problem.

There usually ins't a service interval for repacking bearings, but I guess if I wanted to avoid buying new bearings I would do it every 48k miles. Bearings are cheap though and repacking them takes just as long as replacing them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the reply. i hope it did fix the problem for a while. drove it several miles in the snow covered hills and it is doing well.

thanks frank

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
The seals will eventually go bad and they will stop working. I suggest you buy Warn Manuals. Then you know if they are in or out. Also, you can leave them engaged during really bad weather and just go from 2 to 4 wheel drive without having to stop.
Remember, your sportage was not meant to drive on dry pavement in 4 wd.
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so were are the seals at on the hubs?

in front or in the back of the bearings. do i need to replace the bearings to replace the seals?

·
Registered
01 Kia Sportage, 01 GMC Yukon, 02 Gmc Sierra, 05 Chevy Uplander, 70 M35A2
3 Posts
2001 Sportage with auto hubs

I had the same problem with bad vacuum lines on the same day. I replaced the vacuum lines & only one side started working. On the side not working I took the hub off & took it apart. The metal gear that is supposed to slide was stuck. I cleaned & lubed then reassembled now both sides are working. The auto hubs are very simple to work on. My first time & it took me about 20 minutes they are nothing to be afraid of.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks,

i will have a go at it after this snow fall were are getting now.
i think the dead blow hammer did the trick to unstick them along with the new vacuum lines.

thank you again
frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts