Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sportage AWD Auto LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 4 months I have been having an intermittent issue with my 2015 Sportage (79,000 km). The car will crank but it won’t start. It happens when the engine is warm or cold. It doesn’t happen every time I attempt to start the vehicle, but some days it happens several times in one day, other days it doesn’t happen at all. On one occasion there was a very strong gas odour in the vehicle after it finally started. My biggest concern right now is that one day it’s going to leave me stranded somewhere, and if I’m on the highway in the middle of nowhere, then what?

I really feel I’m getting the runaround at the dealership, and nobody seems to be taking me seriously. The issue was reported to the dealership May 11 while there was still warranty on the car (9 days remaining). I have provided them videos so that the technicians can see what the gauges are doing when attempting to start it, and so that they can actually hear what it sounds like as well.

Long story, short form:

1. May 11 - Service Adviser told me it was my fob battery causing the problems - changed it on May 11, car still has warranty.

2. May 29 - the same Service Advisor said it was now the brand of gas I was using. I was told to put in fuel additive when I next filled up the car, which I did. Car is now off warranty.

3. May 29 - After next speaking with the Service Manager, I was asked to bring the car in on June 1 for a possible canister recall issue. Took car in but was told recall wasn’t applicable to my car. I had a 45 minute appointment, was told the technician “tightened” a couple things. They didn’t bother scanning/looking for any codes at all.

4. June 15 - Service Manager finally agreed to bring the car in to properly diagnose and fix the problem. He gave me a loaner vehicle.

5. June 29 - Service Manager called me to say the technician was able to duplicate (experience) the issue (I had provided them with videos previously). Service Manager said it appears to be a fuel system issue - fuel not getting to the injectors properly. He said they had a call into head office.

6. July 17 - Car was at dealership for repairs for 33 days. I was called on July 17 to come pick my car up. I was told by the Service Manager the only thing done was a couple updates to the software. After 33 days?? I was told they drove my vehicle for a week without any problem. I asked for a copy of the work order for my files, so I know exactly what was done to the car, and I could see what codes showed up. I wasn’t given one - the Service Manager said he would leave the work order open for a bit, in case there was a further problem, but he believed it was fixed.

7. July 18 - the very next day, first thing in the morning, my car won’t start again!! Cranks but won’t start. Obviously the problem hasn’t been fixed at all!!

What do you recommend I do now? Obviously the problem isn’t fixed. I’m a 50+ single woman, on a fixed income, unfortunately with no automotive knowledge/skills. I just don’t feel what they’re doing is right/acceptable. I’m very concerned that one day very soon this car is going to leave me stranded somewhere, and I feel like the dealership could care less. How should I proceed from here? I sincerely appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you!!

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sportage AWD Auto LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I purchased my vehicle new at this dealership, and have taken it to the same dealership for all servicing/maintenance throughout the warranty period.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,451 Posts
Open a case with Kia Corporate - I don't know the website in Canada, but I'm sure you can find it with just a bit of searching. You want to make sure it's clearly documented that this problem started while your vehicle was still under warranty, and also was never successfully corrected. Not sure exactly what Corporate will do, but you need to make them aware of it, so you're not totally at the mercy of this dealer service department.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts