Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Civic, 1985 Nissan Pickup, 2008 Toyota Highlander, 2005 Sorento 3.5L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I started with the basics and am running out of ideas here. I have an '05 Sorento, 165k miles that is stalling at idle and backfiring when accelerating between second and third gears. Also, some hesitation when accelerating. I've hit the usual suspects to include inspection of the fuel pump, replaced the TPS and checking for a clear intake.

I replaced the plugs around 1 year ago so I cant imagine there is a problem there. Crank position sensor was replaced as well as the timing belt in the last couple of years (timing belt should probably be done again soon). There is a "squeaking" sound coming from the water pump/timing belt area, got me concerned when I read a couple of posts about the crank bolt breaking.

The real brain buster for me is no CEL after stalling out and backfiring many times. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
OK, I started with the basics and am running out of ideas here. I have an '05 Sorento, 165k miles that is stalling at idle and backfiring when accelerating between second and third gears. Also, some hesitation when accelerating. I've hit the usual suspects to include inspection of the fuel pump, replaced the TPS and checking for a clear intake.

I replaced the plugs around 1 year ago so I cant imagine there is a problem there. Crank position sensor was replaced as well as the timing belt in the last couple of years (timing belt should probably be done again soon). There is a "squeaking" sound coming from the water pump/timing belt area, got me concerned when I read a couple of posts about the crank bolt breaking.

The real brain buster for me is no CEL after stalling out and backfiring many times. Any thoughts?
When you replaced the plugs, did you also replace the wires?

Check in the cylinders (pull the plugs out) and see if there is any oil on them. It sounds like it's "missing", then detonating the gas in the exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think pulling the plugs is the next logical step. I don't remember if I replaced the wires or not. I believe I did, probably worth replacing them again. If it is a true miss, I am a little surprised a sensor (O2, Knock, etc) aren't picking that up.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
I "you" replaced the wires you would remember. That is not a forgetful experience. :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah? I recall having to remove these plastic covers that disentigrated in my hands. Probably didn't change the wires though. On modern vehicles I have yet to find a case where a failed plug wire is causing issues, particularly without throwing a code...I'm sure others can point to examples where they have failed though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts