Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I finally found other people that seems to be having the same problem I am. I bought my Kia used, Its a 2000 and I got it in 2002. The only real problem I'm having is every winter, for the first major snow of the season, my 4 wheel drive goes out. This has happened every year now, 3 years in a row. My Kia is still under the manufactures warranty til 2005 so for the repairs we have to go about 2 hours away. I dont understand what the problem is. I take very good care of this car, truck, suv (whatever) I call it a car. What I want to know is if there is something I can do to maintain the 4x4 so it doesn't do this anymore. Does anyone out there know, if there is something you can do? Other than this problem I really love this car! When I buy a car it is always with the concern that a manual wheelchair will fit in the back (for my daughter) and this does that nicely. Its nice to drive and park and mostly easy on gas. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks
Jeanne

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
Originally posted by Jeanne@Dec 29 2004, 12:51 PM
Hi, I finally found other people that seems to be having the same problem I am. I bought my Kia used, Its a 2000 and I got it in 2002. The only real problem I'm having is every winter, for the first major snow of the season, my 4 wheel drive goes out. This has happened every year now, 3 years in a row. My Kia is still under the manufactures warranty til 2005 so for the repairs we have to go about 2 hours away. I dont understand what the problem is. I take very good care of this car, truck, suv (whatever) I call it a car. What I want to know is if there is something I can do to maintain the 4x4 so it doesn't do this anymore. Does anyone out there know, if there is something you can do? Other than this problem I really love this car! When I buy a car it is always with the concern that a manual wheelchair will fit in the back (for my daughter) and this does that nicely. Its nice to drive and park and mostly easy on gas. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks
Jeanne
what do you have a sportage or sorento?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how many miles on it?
also have you done the suggested matinence?
if not bring it in and get it done very important!

When i bought it ,, it had 13,000 miles it now has about 49,400, I take it back to the dealer every three months for the required maintainance that I know of. Is there some certain thing I should be doing for the 4x4? Cause no one at the Kia dealership seems to be able to tell me! What exactally should I be doing for the 4x4?
Thanks
Jeanne

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
how many miles on it?
also have you done the suggested matinence?
if not bring it in and get it done very important!

When i bought it ,, it had 13,000 miles it now has about 49,400, I take it back to the dealer every three months for the required maintainance that I know of. Is there some certain thing I should be doing for the 4x4? Cause no one at the Kia dealership seems to be able to tell me! What exactally should I be doing for the 4x4?
Thanks
Jeanne
i think there is some service they can do to the differential. like change the fluid and if equipped the filter dunno much about 4x4 but i know they are supossed to cahnge the diff fluid every so often. maybe something wrong with the hubs????

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I looked in my manual, it says change transfer case fluid every 22,000 and front and rear differential fluid every 22,000. But that isnt what is tearing up the 4 wheel stuff. Every time it's the hub leak and/or vaccum hose cracked. And everything inside is grinded (ground) up, like shredded. and they replace a lot of parts. Its over 600 dollars everytime. Thanks for your help, your kind to take your time with me. Actually from things i've been reading, it seems to be a poor design. The Kia dealership (service department) told me, that this is a known problem with the Sportage. They however didn't tell me that when I bought it.
Jeanne

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Originally posted by Jeanne@Dec 30 2004, 04:03 PM
Hi, I looked in my manual, it says change transfer case fluid every 22,000 and front and rear differential fluid every 22,000. But that isnt what is tearing up the 4 wheel stuff. Every time it's the hub leak and/or vaccum hose cracked. And everything inside is grinded (ground) up, like shredded. and they replace a lot of parts. Its over 600 dollars everytime. Thanks for your help, your kind to take your time with me. Actually from things i've been reading, it seems to be a poor design. The Kia dealership (service department) told me, that this is a known problem with the Sportage. They however didn't tell me that when I bought it.
Jeanne
yea sometime they wont tell ya certain things. on a lighter note that sorento out in awsome maybe trade in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, They were trying to get my husband to do a trade in on that, but he said it only gets 15 miles to the gallon, and its bigger. I think I have to get this one paid off first. Have a Happy New Year
Thanks
Jeanne

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you want to fix the 4 wheel drive permanently and never have a problem again then DON'T go back to the Kia Dealer. The "shift on the fly" vacuum hub assemblies are and will always be a poor design that will fail on you every year during the first snow storm. And don't count on Kia ever providing a permanent fix.

There are solutions. Warn manual hub assemblies are available for the Sportage and can be purchased for about $103. Advance Auto Parts can order them and have them in 3 days. Any competent mechanic can install them in about an hour. The disadvantage to these hubs is that they require user intervention and you must learn how to properly engage them by hand. But the advantage is that they ALWAYS work and you can be assured you ALWAYS have 4 wheel drive.

You can find additional details here. Http://www.4x4wire.com. Click on "trailtalk BBS" then go to the Kia Forum. Lots of info on manual hub assemblies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts