Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Spectra EX 4DR Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I'm new and this is my first post on this site so I thought I'd say nice to meet you in advance.:D
I have a 2007 Spectra w/ 22k miles. I was unbolting the driver rear tire (to clean the steel wheel) and the last lug was stuck so bad that the wheel stud snapped off and the lug nut fell with the broken stud stuck in it.:( The last place to tighten the wheels was a certain tire shop and they must have over-torqued it.:mad:
Does anyone know if I can replace just that one stud? Or is it not that simple? What would be the approx. cost?

Lastly, does anyone think I should replace my timing belt? (6 yr. old car, but 22k miles).
Thank you all in advance!:)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
I have an 06 Spectra SX with 41k miles on it and as soon as rockauto sends me replacements (two) for their "substitution" of RoadMax brand belts for GATES that I ordered I'm replacing mine...KIA says 5yrs OR 60k miles on these belts...
I'm also doing an 08 Spectra for a friend that has 65k on it.
Be careful about reading the warranties and belt composition. The above RoadMax has only a 90 day warranty and does NOT meet OEM specs for quality or composition (material)...GATES has a limited lifetime warranty and the materials are top notch..They "should" go 100k miles but I'll still replace them at 60K. The studs are pressed into the rear hub inside the disk/drum. (disk for braking/small drum for parking/emergency brakes).. There is an adjustment slot on the drum that you can back out (loosen) to remove the disk/drum without damaging the shoes/drum. There is a rubber plug you need to remove to gain access. You can buy the hub with the bearing and the 4 lugs.

You may need an AC belt also.They crack and break and you will be in the same location and have the old belt off to gain access to the timing belt.

I usually replace the Spark Plugs (at around 60k) because they are worn... The original plugs are "Champions" and I replace them with NGKs (BKR5EGP) as the engine was designed to use NGK or Denso plugs. I have seen problems with the Champions and for around $12 for four NGKs it's not worth worrying about them.
If you keep up the maintenance as per the Owners Manuals these cars can go 300k miles.
Dave

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
Hi everybody! I'm new and this is my first post on this site so I thought I'd say nice to meet you in advance.:D
I have a 2007 Spectra w/ 22k miles. I was unbolting the driver rear tire (to clean the steel wheel) and the last lug was stuck so bad that the wheel stud snapped off and the lug nut fell with the broken stud stuck in it.:( The last place to tighten the wheels was a certain tire shop and they must have over-torqued it.:mad:
Does anyone know if I can replace just that one stud? Or is it not that simple? What would be the approx. cost?

Lastly, does anyone think I should replace my timing belt? (6 yr. old car, but 22k miles).
Thank you all in advance!:)

Last time I had it happen on my own dime, I was able to hammer the studs out the back of the wheel hub. New studs ran me about $3 each, but it was kind of a pain in the backside to do. Not much room. This was on my '99 Sephia.

When I wound up with a busted stud on my wifes '08, I had taken it back to the same place that put the tires on (did the tires, than a few months later, state inspection). They replaced the studs on their cost when I mentioned that they were the last ones to touch the wheels, and their records agreed with me. The invoice showed it was about $5 per stud and about $35 labor to replace it. Not bad IMHO if I had to pay out of pocket for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts