Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my '01 Sportage on 6 / 20 and I like it so far. There doesn't seem to be anything much wrong with it except some fixable rust spots. I noticed that there isn't many posts about mods. Is that because there is none or because no one is interested in it?

I'm just looking for some basic stuff right now, like to install a sun senor for auto headlights or the doors will auto lock when the car hits a certain speed and unlock when it's turned off. Or to maybe to even be able to install an OTIS. I don't even know if this stuff is possible.

I removed the spare tire carrier so I can sand and re-paint it yesterday when the bottom part of the mount snapped off. I need to get a new one but I don't know the exact name for it, could someone let me know what it's called?

I also found these tail lights. I was wondering if anyone else has these or knows where I can find them.

Thanks alot guys. All help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
650 Posts
The clear rear tail lights are pretty cool looking...never seen a sportage with them before. If you find a source, post it because others would like it.:cool:

Does anyone sell an aftermarket OTIS? or would you be converting another car's unit? It may not work because the main ecu doesn't have many sensors feeding it that you could pull signals from.:confused:

Autolock that I have works when the ignition key is turned on and then the aftermarket security system locks the doors (you may find one that has a delay that can be programmed into it or add a delay circuit yourself.

Headlight delay off would probably be something converted or aftermarket.

As for the broken mount pin(?) you should pm COBRA259 and attach picture with arrow for what you are looking for. That guy can get about anything!!! (He's a parts dept mgr at a Kia Dealer).:thumbsup:

Also, you can put a lift kit on it and bigger tires and do a little off roading:D

UPYOURKIA

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
I think those tail lights is just a black and white picture of a regular tail light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're right, I believe that is a black and white picture. That's too bad. I'll send them a PM to be sure. I don't know what other cars have compatible parts with our Sportages. We may be able to pull one out of another KIA that has an OTIS.

I just got rid of an Alero and it had the sun sensor / headlight combination. It also had the auto lock feature. It doesn't seem like there is much stuff or mods available for the Sportage. Even for the 1st Gens. After 10 years you'd think they'd have something.

I'm gonna just call a salvage yard tomorrow and describe what it looks like. I'm just having a hard time getting one of the bolts off it. It's so rusted I broke 2 adapters and 2 ratchets. I might just have to get a flat head screw driver and hammer and smash it off.

Lift kit and bigger tires, nah I'm not much of an off road kinda guy. I just want it to look smooth and original.

Thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts