Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the thermostat is easy to change or if I need to take my Sportage in somewhere? I'd like to attempt to do it myself because I'm tired of getting ripped off.

Two people have told me that it seems like the thermostat is stuck, but they don't know exactly where the thermostat is . . .

Does anyone here know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
The thermostat is easy to change. First, get an original factory thermostat and the housing gasket from a Kia Dealer. Aftermarket thermostats from NAPA, Autozone, etc have proven to be problematic.
The factory thermostat will cost more but it's worth it.

Follow the upper radiator hose back to the engine. Right where it meets the engine is the thermostat housing. If I recall correctly it's two or three bolts. Remove them and carefully pry the housing apart. Note how the thermostat is oriented in the housing so you do not install the new one backwards. If you install it backwards the engine will overheat. Scrape away any gasket material left on the housing halfs. You need a clean surface to prevent leaks. Install new gasket and thermostat and reinstall the housing. Top off the coolant and you're done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts