Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, stupidly I did it. Lost like $5k on my trade. So, not a smart move financially of course. But, guess what? I'm happy now. I just told myself I made a mistake (personally) getting the EX. You only live once and you can always earn more money. Go for it.

In the end it boiled down to, what's harder? Shelling out the money to pay off the upside loan or, paying another 50+ payments on a car you don't really love due to its shit performance? I paid off the upside loan... :rolleyes: I also didn't want to deal with a private party sale to save cash. I have a business to run and 1 year old triplets so I'm pretty busy. I also thought, really how much more would I have gotten? Would that be worth the time and potential further devaluation while I waited for someone to maybe come along and buy the car?

Anyway, it's a 2011 Signal Red SX w/ prem. package and navigation. Whoever had it sadly didn't keep it too clean so I spent all day going over the dealerships "detail". It was sold new Aug. 16 2011 and currently has 9001 miles. $24500. I felt it was a good deal even though it was slightly used and has a year's worth of road wear on it. Nothing major. Interior is perfect (minus the grime I cleaned off). I took it to my Kia dealership today and had a tech ride with me and he says all sounds well and is running fine.

In conclusion I hate that I wasted time and shitloads of money. But, I love the car and now with actual get up and go, I really love it. Oh, and I hate car dealerships and salesman. Sorry... They totally raped me for my trade. I tried hammering on them and they knew I wanted the car and didn't budge. Whatever. I got what I wanted and my wife didn't kill me ;)

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I wouldn't have even looked at the Sportage if it didn't have a turbo or V6 engine option. Even the 200HP GDI engine doesn't cut it in my opinion. Even the turbo could use a little more juice, but it's sufficient :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
congratulations on the new SX and if you are happy thats what really counts so enjoy it .;)
Thx all. It was the most expensive mistake I've ever made but, not the end of the world. It's a much better vehicle for sure and like 1000x more fun to drive. I just would of hated life making the next 50 payments on the EX if I wasn't 100% enjoying the car.

Now it's time to hunker down and pick up a few extra projects to make it up :)

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Just because I'm curious, and now you have owned both, how does the steering compare to the EX, does it "wander" less? I really don't find my SX bad to be honest (it was a complaint of a lot of reviews). Also how much firmer is the suspension by comparison?

I never did drive the EX, just curious if the complaints are really justified.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just because I'm curious, and now you have owned both, how does the steering compare to the EX, does it "wander" less? I really don't find my SX bad to be honest (it was a complaint of a lot of reviews). Also how much firmer is the suspension by comparison?

I never did drive the EX, just curious if the complaints are really justified.
There is a noticeable difference. But, not a huge change ride wise. The ride, to me in the city, seems about the same. The 18" wheels make it bumpy(ish). But I, like others, kind of like that. Feeling the road so to speak...

The steering is different. At least to me. The EX is nice and I was actually pleased coming from my Audi A4 how nice Kia made it feel in the EX. But, as I think you said, it still feels a bit "loosie-goosie" sometimes. Or too computer controlled and not "real". Not sure how to explain it.

The SX on the other hand is a bit tighter steering wise IMO. Is that due to the added weight of the SX? Not sure. I'm a software engineer and not well versed in auto engineering so really don't know. ;-) But, it does feel a bit firmer/tighter to me.

Finally, the handling and suspension on the SX to me does seem a bit more rigid. I also like that so it's a plus in my book. Basically reminds me of an Audi A4 mixed with a VW GTI that fits 3 baby seats and 2 strollers in the trunk :p

Off topic quick question: is that "old school playing card in bike spokes" mechanical sound I hear the turbo waste gate? Kia tech drove with me and said all seems fine. No check engine light and ride sounds fine. Just not used to the sound of the Kia turbo yet maybe...

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot Touring; 2003 Jeep Wrangler
46 Posts
It's an expensive lesson to learn but more than likely we've all been there!

I've lost count of the number of vehicles I've owned (somewhere in the high 20's) and other than my Jeep Wranglers I've never found the "perfect" vehicle. There's always something else I wanted, or another option, etc. Some people smoke, drink and gamble...I like cars.

Anyway, enjoy the SX and don't look back.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage LX - Signal Red
7 Posts
Congratulations on getting the model you really want. I'm going to hold onto my 2011 for 3 or 4 years and then trade in for the brand new, top of the line model.

And you have 1 year old triplets? Wow, super congrats there!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx Techno. Yeah, a lesson I'll never forget (or repeat). Heh... But, so far even with it being slightly used I love it. I'm just about done detailing it and then I'll get the front windows tinted like I did with the EX. After a while it'll all be a distant memory... It just needed a good cleaning inside and out. Ive only noticed a very few super tiny (basically unnoticeable) rock dings from highway driving I assume. Like 3 ;-) I went over every inch of her. No dents or big scratches or anything. Inside looks brand spanking new.

MissRuby: Thx! It's much for fun to drive. I came from a turbo charged car so it was rough getting used to not having that any more. Really what drove me to throw caution (and money) to the wind and get what I knew would make me happy for years to come.

Oh, and thx! We weren't trying to get pregnant so pretty crazy stuff! We joke and say we hit the baby lottery ;-) 2 identical boys and a fraternal girl. All big and healthy and almost born full-term. We're super lucky...

·
Registered
Black 2007 Spectra EX, 19.2mm Tib rear bar.
70 Posts
Thanks for this thread, SneakyMe. I'd been pretty much ignoring the Sportage, this opened my eyes to what a ride it's become. SX, at any rate.

I've been doing some reading, and from what I gather/project, if H/K does the turbo bit to the Nu engine, as they did to the Theta, they will have an even more gangbusters mill.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for this thread, SneakyMe. I'd been pretty much ignoring the Sportage, this opened my eyes to what a ride it's become. SX, at any rate.

I've been doing some reading, and from what I gather/project, if H/K does the turbo bit to the Nu engine, as they did to the Theta, they will have an even more gangbusters mill.
No problem. Hope it helps others NOT do what I did :huh:

·
Registered
Sportage 2011 G3 SilverBlue
86 Posts
Congratulations on the babies !..and the trade.

Here where I live we dont have the SX model...but if given the chance I would have done same thing you did !.

Life is short and should be enjoyed as much as possible.

Rgds.
Victor

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations on the babies !..and the trade.

Here where I live we dont have the SX model...but if given the chance I would have done same thing you did !.

Life is short and should be enjoyed as much as possible.

Rgds.
Victor
Thx Victor. Appreciate that... Well, if you ever get to Southern California I'll take you for a spin :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts