Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to this forum but I need some help. I bought a 2009 kia sportage 4dr 2wd LX I4 from a local dealership a couple of years ago. The vehicle had less than 60k miles on it and was decently maintained by the previous owner. We were not sold a warranty for the vehicle by the dealership because they told us that the last of the 10yr/100k would be switched over to us from the previous owner, which was not true.
The problems didn’t start until mid-February when the ESC off, ABS, and e-brake lights flicked on. I took it to the dealership and was told the HECU was toast and had to be replaced, followed by the cost of $2,000 parts and labor to replace new. So I went looking for a useable replacement from salvage yards and found a certified replacement part from a recycler yard in Pennsylvania. Part ordered and in the process of having it put in the mechanic had a little trouble separating the plug from the original HECU, according to the mechanic two of the pins were burnt…after putting it back together the all but one of the lights went out, the ESC light. Afterwards we got a recall order for the brake light switch and thought that may fix the light as no wires were stripped and no other cause was evident. Needless to say the switch didn’t fix it. According to the tech at another kia dealership, the one that fulfilled the recall order, the connection between the HECU and the wiring from the fuse box had fused and would need to be broken to be separated.
Other problems persist…the radio comes on and goes off by itself sometimes and does not always respond. If the pins are burnt and the insulators are fused, what should I do? I really don’t want to by another HECU if the same problem persists…
Any help would be much appreciated…thanks.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
If it is an 09 with less than 60k, it should have been under warranty, depending on in-service date. The 10/100k warranty does not apply to ABS components, so it doesn't matter if it transferred or not.

It sounds like you may need a complete harness replacement, as the connector for the module is not available separately. It should have been fixed before the last module was changed.

Just replace the radio. Replacement re-manufactured radios from Kia are dirt cheap with a core turn in, usually less than $100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a possibility, another question...does anyone know of any problems with the master control fuse box not being sealed right resulting in corrosion buildup on the fuses? Reason I ask is the mechanic that put in the HECU said that could have caused the wiring to heat up and burn out the pins…Also should I bring this problem up with Kia to see if they could help or even just to let them know. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
305 Posts
I have not had any problem with my 2.7l V6 fuse box. My vehicle is a 2005 manufactured one.

As for the corossion, it will cause an increase in heat as it caused more resistance comparred to non-corroded wires/fuses.

I would check with Kia. Give them your VIN number, and they should be able to tell you if it is still covered under warranty. Once you have that info, then hit them up with the corrosion/fuzing wirres/ECU failure.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
I'd suggest going back to the salvage yard and getting the connector with wires attached (around 6" or longer) and have your mechanic splice this connector back into your harness...Those "two burnt pins" may be causing you the problems... I haven't seen any posts here on HECU failures...Your may be the first... Your current HECU (and probably the original) is probably OK and you need to correct the wiring.
If the car still has under 60k miles it would be covered by the 5yr/60k warranty for the second owner.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts