Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, new to the forum.... I have a 2004 Kia Sorento that the HVAC heater hose assembly is leaking at the back of the motor. This hose has a plastic T inline and services the overflow/fill tank, heater core and motor. What steps do I need to take to change this hose assembly? It seems I might have to remove the intake manifold. Thanks in advance.

/me

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,363 Posts
When I replaced mine I removed the windshield wiper cowl and it gives you a lot of room to work with. It may seem like a lot of work but it really isn't that bad. I don't know if the dealers do it that way or if they employ one person with really small hands. I have read also that someone replaced the T fitting with a metal pipe version. Any one reading this if you have an older Sorie and you have not had the hose go on you, IT WILL. Replace it before it does. On my 03 it went around 90,000 mi. I replaced it again when I did my TB (118,00 mi.) since I had the top and front of the engine off.
I feel it should be replaced at the same intervals as the plugs and TB for preventitive measures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey you might be right about that!!! I went out and took a look at your suggestion and think I will give that a try. Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I did wonder if someone made a metal replacement part. It would make sense.
A copper or zinc plated steel Y piece would last a lot longer.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I think the person took brass pipe fittings and made one. I could see copper pipe if you silver soldered it for a higher temp rating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am actually okay with the OEM replacement I have already purchased. I am going to tackle the method nstoolman1 offered earlier in the post if its not too hot out tomorrow and I can get up early enough ;).... I will take a few pics and post my experiance.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
The electrical connection for the wiper motor will come out if you gently squeeze the rubber grommet that is in the sheet metal. Removing the wireing harness will allow you to completely remove the sheet metal bucket that the cowl attaches to. I took some White-Out and marked the backside of the wipers to be sure they went back on in the same place. There are little clips under the rubber molding that runs the length of the cowl. The bolts are 10mm heads on the cowl bucket and WW mounts. HTH

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento 2WD 3.5---- Now at the Junk yard
62 Posts
Do you know the part number and exact description of the y-pipe. I heard Rock Auto Parts is good for getting parts. I would like that part number and description before visiting the site. Can you order just the pipe or does it come with new hoses, etc,? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
RockAuto

GATES Part # 23149 Molded Coolant Hose; 5/8" x 5/8" x 5/8" x 14 1/8" $10.87 plus shipping.

I have attached a pic of the hose to be sure it is the right one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi gang, new to the forum.... I have a 2004 Kia Sorento that the HVAC heater hose assembly is leaking at the back of the motor. This hose has a plastic T inline and services the overflow/fill tank, heater core and motor. What steps do I need to take to change this hose assembly? It seems I might have to remove the intake manifold. Thanks in advance.

/me
Hi, I've been searching for 3 days now on what hose is leaking on my 2004 Sorento and I found this thread I originally put dye in my tank to find the leak and I found it is that y hose just wanted to ask you how did it go for you did you take the windshield wiper cowl off like another user suggested he did I am female and I will have to do it myself I could pay somebody but I like doing things myself especially when you can save money but I've had my car for five years I love it but there has been just a few issues I have to say though that everything works on it I've got an ex its got the sunroof and all the extras the running boards if you could would you help me let me know where you got your part and how long it took you to change it thank you very much oh by the way I have 126000 miles on mine

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Post #9 and #10 give a part number and store to purchase. This thread is 3 years old and the OP may not even be on anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts