Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive at least 100 miles a day in my Sorento. Sitting back in the seat I feel like the headrest makes my head tilt down because it sits more forward than the back of the seat. I realize the headrest tilts a little but still sticks out farther than the back of the seat. Am I missing something here? any solutions?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
Maybe someone put the head rest in backwards?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can see both headrest hang out farther than the seat back. Raising it does not seem to help. Maybe I am used to being able to sit up straight in my old car and not feel like my head is being pushed forward. I may look into bending the posts. I am not sure if they are bent the wrong direction already. Does this look like your headrests?

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
You can see both headrest hang out farther than the seat back. Raising it does not seem to help. Maybe I am used to being able to sit up straight in my old car and not feel like my head is being pushed forward. I may look into bending the posts. I am not sure if they are bent the wrong direction already. Does this look like your headrests?
What on earth! They must of changed the design for 2012-13 because my posts are bent and it really makes a huge difference! When I adjust the headrest in and out (The bottom swivels) I find it the most comfortable when its adjusted all the way out. I do agree that yours looks like it's sticking way too far out. Almost like ford's new headrests. Those things are unbearable. The stick out at like a 40 degree angle with NO adjustment.

You can kind of see the bend I'm talking about here

·
Registered
Will Be Buying a Sorento, 2011 Honda Ridgeline RT, 2003 Mazda Tribute
8 Posts
A lot of newer cars headrests now lean forward. It is part of the anti-whiplash design they use.

The headrests are also designed to move forward when pressure is placed on the seat (as though you are being thrown into the seat) during a crash.

I was surprised to hear that the Kia headrests were teathered to the seat internally. I learned this when I asked in a separate threat about replacing the headrests with aftermarket ones that have DVD players installed in them.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
Had the same issue with our new Sorento EX it didn't bother me but my wife who sits very upright in her seat found the headrest was pushing her head forward. It was a deal breaker if the dealer could not fix it. They disassembled the seat to take the two bars that hold the headrest out, they then put them in a vice and bent them.....problem solved.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
not sure on the Sorento but the ones on my Soul adjust back and forth to four different positions.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
My headrests move forward and back. It looks like yours are all the way forward. Maybe something is jamming internally. I had this as a negative for other SUV when I was shopping and the Sorento was most comfortable because it didn't stick out when adjusted all the way back.

Something I'd have the dealer check. At the very least they can bend them back.

Is the passenger side the same?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I was surprised to hear that the Kia headrests were teathered to the seat internally.
The "teather" is probably a wire for the active headrests (in the event of a rear collision they actively move forward to help limit/prevent whiplash).

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
I'm thinking the tether is likely jammed in the forward position for some reason.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
I wish you had posted your picture in your first post. I would not have made my comment.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Ive noticed mine sticks out way to far to. I am just the right hight to hit the middle part that stick out the most.:mad: The only thing i can do is adjust the seat back at angle leaning farther back, which I dont like doing when not on highway. One of my few dislikes but nothing that a big deal. Looks like they;) may of fixed it for you guys with the 12's and 13's, lucky you.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
I wouldn't think this would have changed between model years. If they did, try asking to have them look at it. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I wouldn't think this would have changed between model years. If they did, try asking to have them look at it. Can't hurt to ask.
I'll take a pic of my (2011) style tomorrow. Mine has the bends at the bottom that hold the headrest farther back than the seat, in return being more comfortable. Seems in 2012 they just went with a straight bar. Not sure why.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Big difference. I'll take pics and post mine too.

Do all models have the active headrest?

Was it introduced in a specific year?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
I don't know when it was introduced, but the 2011 has the active head rest.

I wonder if it was a different supplier for the new US plant that the 2012's were made in and nobody noticed the "small detail"?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts