Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I move around a lot in the seat and whenever I move my shoulders a little I move the headrest up and have to keep adjusting it back down. To move it down you need to push the side button. Is there a way to lock it in so it won't go up?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX
17 Posts
The 2019 Sorento headrest is awful, it really jabs into your head. There's a youtube video where the guy shows people his solution to pull it out and re-insert 180 degrees. No matter to me I'm replacing the headrests with new ones with video screes built in for the kids

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
836 Posts
The 2019 Sorento headrest is awful, it really jabs into your head. There's a youtube video where the guy shows people his solution to pull it out and re-insert 180 degrees. No matter to me I'm replacing the headrests with new ones with video screes built in for the kids
They don't bother me at all but I am 5'8"

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX
17 Posts
They don't bother me at all but I am 5'8"
Well actually, it's not a question of height it's a question of seat position. If you like your seat to be perfectly vertical like I do, the headrest will really crank your neck. If you like your seat reclined it's not so much an issue

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info regarding how high behind the head the where the headrest should be. I do keep it so if my head snaps back it would hit the rest, but in that position when I move around my shoulders raise the headrest a notch. If I kept it where the diagram showed, I would be very uncomfortable as it would be pushing my head forward even when I tilt the seat back.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,064 Posts
The assumption is that gravity will take care of holding it down - normally no reason that it would rise by itself. One needs only to unlatch it to lower it.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
133 Posts
I also always flip my headrests around in modern cars. I almost didn't buy the Sorento because I thought the headrest couldn't be flipped until I saw the video showing the paper clip trick.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the 53 second video with the paper clip to reverse the headrest. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the headrest (to reduce whiplash in a crash) ?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,064 Posts
I saw the 53 second video with the paper clip to reverse the headrest. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the headrest (to reduce whiplash in a crash) ?
That depends a bit upon your body and the seat angle. It's not designed to touch your head all the time, but the gap between your head and the 'headrest' should not become large as a consequence of the change. All the documentation I've seen suggests that an inch or two of gap is acceptable since in a whiplash situation, your head will then not travel a distance that imperils your neck. For those drivers who run a seat angle that is more upright than 'normal', reversing the thing might still provide that narrow of a gap. As I understand it, the only problem is for folks who do run very upright who find their head in constant and uncomfortable contact with the 'headrest', which is unnecessary.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With your reply I am now thinking that maybe reversing the headrest may not reduce any whiplash injury IF Kia made it reversible on purpose rather than just having the bar symmetrical to save production costs. I read many complaints about the 2017 or 2018 headrests so Kia did make some adjustment to it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX
17 Posts
I believe the important thing is that the headrest height rises to the same or close to same level as the top of your head. You don't want your head snapping back over something, but a small gap between you and the headrest is not only not dangerous, but actually recommended. This is from a Canadian trial lawyer's website that recommends a 4cm (~1.5inch) gap between your head and the headrest:

https://www.callkleinlawyers.com/full-disclosure/correctly-adjusted-headrest-can-prohibit-severe-whiplash-car-accident/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really don't like the Serento 2019 headrest. After a few times of troubles, I decided to replace it. I bought a brand new one with DVD player from Xtrons and DIY change it myself by following the manual comes with it.
It is not cheap but I think it is worth it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,328 Posts
Really don't like the Serento 2019 headrest. After a few times of troubles, I decided to replace it. I bought a brand new one with DVD player from Xtrons and DIY change it myself by following the manual comes with it.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SXL
18 Posts
Hey, I never thought about replacing the headrest. Have any pics that you're willing to share?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
192 Posts
I ended up getting the 2016 Sorento 4 way adjustable headrests for my 2018 and they fit. I have cloth seats, and in the cloth there are both 2 way adjustable and 4 way adjustable headrests for the 2016 so you have to get the right ones. On the EX and above, since it is leather, all of the 2016 headrests are 4 way adjustable.

Once I put the new headrest on, they would move down, but only move up if I put a screwdriver in the little slot at the base. Not a big deal since I always keep them in the lowest position. This could help your shoulder trouble.

They do move back and forth, and I keep them all the way back. I think they are an improvement over the up/down only ones, but I wish they would go back even more. They are expensive from the dealer, though I had mine included when I bought the car. I've seen them online for a lot cheaper than the dealer.

I wish there were really nice super adjustable after market ones?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
2 Posts
I ended up getting the 2016 Sorento 4 way adjustable headrests for my 2018 and they fit. I have cloth seats, and in the cloth there are both 2 way adjustable and 4 way adjustable headrests for the 2016 so you have to get the right ones. On the EX and above, since it is leather, all of the 2016 headrests are 4 way adjustable.

Once I put the new headrest on, they would move down, but only move up if I put a screwdriver in the little slot at the base. Not a big deal since I always keep them in the lowest position. This could help your shoulder trouble.

They do move back and forth, and I keep them all the way back. I think they are an improvement over the up/down only ones, but I wish they would go back even more. They are expensive from the dealer, though I had mine included when I bought the car. I've seen them online for a lot cheaper than the dealer.

I wish there were really nice super adjustable after market ones?
Do you happen to know the part number of the ones you ordered? I also need the black cloth 4 wya adjustable headrest and am having trouble determining the correct ones to order.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts