Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SXL with 2.0L Turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assuming that the sensor has failed, but there may be other causes.

Can anyone advise how to properly diagnose the problem and if indeed the sensor needs and point me at instructions to replace it?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,745 Posts
OK - silly suggestion first. NOTHING new placed up on the dash, is there? New dash mat? Snoopy plush toy? Fuzzy dice? I ask because that sensor is about as indestructable as a thing can be.
Yes, unfortunately, 'other causes' includes the BCM. It reads the voltage off the module to decide about current ambient light conditions. The sensor assy is tied right to it - not even an intermediate connector to inspect, just the one on the sensor assy and the mongo one on the BCM itself.

Having never had a broken one to need to pry out, that's going to take some research. However, if you succeed, and with the vehicle turned on, take a meter across the gray and white/black-stripe wires while you shade/illuminate the sensor, looking for significant changes in output voltage from dark to bright and back. If you see that, the sensor is still operational.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - silly suggestion first. NOTHING new placed up on the dash, is there? New dash mat? Snoopy plush toy? Fuzzy dice? I ask because that sensor is about as indestructable as a thing can be.
Yes, unfortunately, 'other causes' includes the BCM. It reads the voltage off the module to decide about current ambient light conditions. The sensor assy is tied right to it - not even an intermediate connector to inspect, just the one on the sensor assy and the mongo one on the BCM itself.

Having never had a broken one to need to pry out, that's going to take some research. However, if you succeed, and with the vehicle turned on, take a meter across the gray and white/black-stripe wires while you shade/illuminate the sensor, looking for significant changes in output voltage from dark to bright and back. If you see that, the sensor is still operational.
Nothing on the dash. I'll do the meter check after I get back from a short trip.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,745 Posts
Here's hoping that it's just a sensor board.

Now apart from the sensor end, another item that actually DOES fail now and then is the stalk, and yes, individual switch components fail - the BCM detects the total series resistance to ground thrown in by the various switch positions. It's actually easy to replace.

I assume the other switch positions work? If so, that's really good news ... no BCM issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, i keep the lights on all the time now. all the other settings on the headlamp switch work normally, just not auto.

Can you elaborate on the sensor board?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,507 Posts
Is it still under warranty?

Reactions: wbw

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
315 Posts
If you're still under warranty, let Kia figure it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey All.

I've noticed for the past few days that my '18 Sorento has had some issues with the Auto headlight function.

When trying to set it to the auto position nothing happens. I'd cycle from OFF -> Full headlights and it seems to 'skip' the AUTO setting. This was extremely dangerous last night when in the middle of the dark my lights went from the AUTO full light setting to the parking lights unexpectedly...

Any insight? I'll call the dealer and bring it in for warranty if need be... only 8,000 km left before I hit 100k lol

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo 2020 Sportage LX FWD
353 Posts
Hey All.

I've noticed for the past few days that my '18 Sorento has had some issues with the Auto headlight function.

When trying to set it to the auto position nothing happens. I'd cycle from OFF -> Full headlights and it seems to 'skip' the AUTO setting. This was extremely dangerous last night when in the middle of the dark my lights went from the AUTO full light setting to the parking lights unexpectedly...

Any insight? I'll call the dealer and bring it in for warranty if need be... only 8,000 km left before I hit 100k lol
Photo sensor on top of dash most likely

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,745 Posts
Might want to follow along here ... it's just down a ways on this first page of the list of topics here

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow I can't believe someone else is having the same issue as me at the same time! lol

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,745 Posts
See above for a couple of suggestions. Only really 3 possibilties: stalk (most likely), sensor board, then BCM. However, as you still have a little warranty left, I'd definitely make it the dealer's problem, and quickly!

·
Registered
25 Posts
went to dealer. They said it is a problem with the switch internally. They've ordered me a new stalk. Warranty covered. I'll update when the repair is completed later next week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts