Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is lots of talk about the new breed of LED's, but has anyone RECENTLY tried a good quality HID's? Morimoto is a brand that is supposed to be pretty good. In the grand scheme of things, they are not that much more money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed these Deautoled HID's. I'm fairly happy with them and my complaints are more on the adapters we have to get because of the style of bulb Kia uses. They are still a premium brand and just under Morimoto I believe. They are also supposed to be 5000K but are more like 6000k.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd go with HID's, as well. From the pics of some LED beam patterns I've seen, they seem spotty and not very bright. They are usually compensated with fog lamps or raising the beam angle.

·
Registered
766 Posts
2016 did not play well with HID. And I am not the only one who blew out the eyebrows. LED are simple and safe to install. And I personally find them brighter and with a better pattern.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2016 did not play well with HID. And I am not the only one who blew out the eyebrows. LED are simple and safe to install. And I personally find them brighter and with a better pattern.
I'm sure the LED's would be more than satisfactory, especially considering the brightness of the stock Halogens. I asked about the HID's because I like to have the best available so as not to have buyer's remorse later.

So what brand of HID's "blew out the eyebrows"? Just curious.

Additionally, I have determined that my stock lights are H11 and H7 as opposed to what the Owner's Manual had stated.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm sure the LED's would be more than satisfactory, especially considering the brightness of the stock Halogens. I asked about the HID's because I like to have the best available so as not to have buyer's remorse later.

So what brand of HID's "blew out the eyebrows"? Just curious.

Additionally, I have determined that my stock lights are H11 and H7 as opposed to what the Owner's Manual had stated.
In 2016 I could not get HID to work without throwing an error message. As well, due to the orientation of the socket they left a shadow on the throw. Google it. The BCM did not accept the canbus.
Enjoy yourself, but remember the headlight assembly is $800 each and the LEDs can not be repaired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey buddy
Both my bulbs died out on my 2011 Kia Optima Platinum (the bulbs lit in your pic).
Do you know what the stock bulbs are? I want to buy them before unscrewing everything and messing it up.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey buddy
Both my bulbs died out on my 2011 Kia Optima Platinum (the bulbs lit in your pic).
Do you know what the stock bulbs are? I want to buy them before unscrewing everything and messing it up.
thanks in advance
I have no idea unfortunately. You may have better luck in the Optima section.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LED's it is!

I ordered the HIKARI Ultra LED Kit from Amazon this evening. Hopefully I'll have time to put them in soon. They will arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did the Hakari’s work for you ????
The Hikari's are working well. If you decide to get them, we should talk on the phone because IMO their support is slow and the instructions suck. PM me and I'll give you my phone number. I don't mind talking, I just don't feel like typing the instructions that they should have written. If they had been assembled correctly, it would have been a 10 minute job. I can email you some photos. I could have sworn we had Drag & Drop photo attachment capability here but I can't find it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The lighting looks really good , I tried LED’s in my Rondo with projector housing but had no luck with another cheap brand, not Hikari ( I’ve read other accounts which say Hikari is a quality product )

I finally went with Innovited HID and I’m very happy with the results ( i would have preferred LED but since the HID worked out well I’ll just keep them for now) but my son just bought a used Sedona so I was wondering about recommending the Hikari’s if you had luck.

Thank you for the generous offer of a phone call, but for now I’ll just mention Hikari as a brand he might try. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced mine with LED bulbs from Novsight on Amazon. The mechanic at the dealership changed them for me as he was outside to pick up a car for service. One didn't work, but all he did was flip over the connector. The headlights had to be re aimed because they were a little low with the LED bulbs.
Wish I could replace the high beams but they are used as DRLs and LEDs don't work at half power. I do have an LED light bar so it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's the deal with HIDS as members are using the wrong kits, installing them correctly, then saying they don't work.

These cars need a QUALITY canbus kit. I went to lightwerkz.net and ordered a Hylux 35w Canbus 5000k hid kit. I installed with no issue and they work perfectly. Not only that, they are literally 3-4-5x brighter than the Hikari LED's that were there before. HID is brighter 100% of the time, BUT they have ballasts and wiring so you have to modify the bulb cap but cutting out the center and using the new gasket that comes with the kit. I dislike the warmup time compared to the instant on that the LEDS have but the difference in brightness is unreal.

I have a 2012 Honda Accord with VLAND custom projectors using LED's and loved the output until I got back in my Sorento and found my headlights like candles next to these. Im going to upgrade to 4300k bulbs soon as they have about 600-800 more lumens, as the white/yellow color is much brighter despite the way it looks by lack of blue/white light. They do make a huge difference especially in in climate. weather. I currently am running Cougar LED high beams as well and the lights kick ass. Ill make a video or something like that soon.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The BCM in my 2016 Sorento did not play well with HID. They did work, but with an error message and it could not be resolved.
I ran the same brand of HID in my 2014 Sonata and they worked great.
In my 2019 EX I run the Max5 LED's plus the 9006 LEDs in the fog lights. They work great and I am very happy.
When I had HID in the 2016 the light output was NOT impressive.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The BCM in my 2016 Sorento did not play well with HID. They did work, but with an error message and it could not be resolved.
In my 2019 EX I run the Max5 LED's plus the 9006 LEDs in the fog lights. They work great and I am very happy.
My Mustang also factory equipped with HID are like aircraft landing lights compared to the ones in my Sorento.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
The BCM needs to see a CANBUS compatible HID kit. Just order canbus ballsts and they work fine, much brighter than LEDs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts