Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sedona EX - Premium Package
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue No 7. Headlight flickers.

This is my new issue for my Sorento. As I observed, headlights ON facing my garage wall flickers every 4-5 seconds. It seems likes voltage drops or spikes coming from nowhere or maybe having defective electrical components.

Case: Headlight flicker
Time Occur: Night
at Temp: 23-40 deg
Usage: Auto Daylight seldom used. (always manually turn on)
Starting Procedure: All light and electronics are OFF except for brakes before engine starts.

Anybody have some inputs will be very much appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

Happy Holidays!

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
halogen or HID?

Usage: Auto Daylight seldom used. (always manually turn on) this is what I like...

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
is it only headlights, or any electrical device? There is some issue with Rondo charging system dropping voltage from time to time (especially when RPM drops).

Increase RPM and see if it is the same. Use high beam s too... simply try to see if it affects all electrical system. If so, talk to service. Could be something with alternator or voltage regulator.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a Christmas Special?
Yes, It's kinda... its a special informative matter to all Sorento owners. Anyway, an issue can occur even if it's your birthday! :lol:

@ PLP, I will try to do that...give you some feedback afterwards. Thanks again!

Happy Christmas to ALL!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD
30 Posts
I noticed the same thing happening one night a couple of months ago. Was on a dark highway going 50-60 mph and the headlights would dim every few seconds. Haven't noticed it since, and forgot about it. I'm due for an oil change and will mention it.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento I4-EX; 1997 Dodge Caravan; 2007 Kawasaki 650R Ninja
31 Posts
I too noticed the flickering; I installed silvania silverstar ultras about two months ago; the fllicker was pronounced last night; only did it will driving. Have not had a chance to investigate further; I thought it might be a defective bulb until I saw this thread.
I hope it is not a serious electrical problem as those can be hard to trace sometimes; hope someone finds the source; I'll continue to look at my vehicle for further clues as to the cause.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys,

Futher to my observation, I have not seen malfunctions for couple of days now. The temp is dropping to 21 deg. After I went back home every other night, I drop down the garage door and beam before it. Five minutes of low beam without foglight. 2 mins, with foglights another 2 mins of highbeam but nothings appearingly abnormal. The problem is intermittent and it took time to really figure it out.

Thats for now Guys. Hope to hear from your side..

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX
16 Posts
Just picked up a used 2011 LX yesterday and noticed that exact issue last night. Headlights dimming slightly (while doing 55) every few seconds.Didn't notice it when stopped.

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
Issue No 7. Headlight flickers.

This is my new issue for my Sorento. As I observed, headlights ON facing my garage wall flickers every 4-5 seconds. It seems likes voltage drops or spikes coming from nowhere or maybe having defective electrical components.

Case: Headlight flicker
Time Occur: Night
at Temp: 23-40 deg
Usage: Auto Daylight seldom used. (always manually turn on)
Starting Procedure: All light and electronics are OFF except for brakes before engine starts.

Anybody have some inputs will be very much appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

Happy Holidays!
You covered most of it already. But not all of it. Tell us since you have turned on the lights to know they flicker on wall. Was the HVAC as well totally OFF at all times. Or did you infact since it is "23-40 deg out" turn on/or it was on DEF or DEF/FLR? where you would get a A/C COMP cycleing and drawing RPM's/power on it's on/off cycles from the eng driven ALT. Hense a flicker? A COLD battery is asking for a ALT to give it its FULL ATTENTION at start up or for a bit after that. Turn on lights and turn on DEF or DEF/floor mode and the battery is not the only guy at the party asking for a drink from the ALT bartender right then. :p

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
SpicyRed

I still missing one part here. Does it apply ONLY to the external lights or internal too? If external, headlights (low beams, high beams, fogs?), or taillights too?

Moreover, does the voltage drop or spikes? Drop - the lights would dim, spike - the lights would brighten.

Side note: in some Rondos, there is an issue with charging system. If you let the engine rev to lets say 2000 RPM, and let it go back to idle (650 RPM) voltage will drop. It will go from 14.1 V to 12.8 or so - I do not have so sensitive/fast response voltage meter. The voltage drop will affect ALL devices of course - interior lights, blower, exterior light... and it does not matter if you have none or a dozen devices on.

So, perform such test and get back.

Oh, of course dealer does not know what to do. Even more, he says since more Rondos do that, it must be NORMAL :D

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
SpicyRed

I still missing one part here. Does it apply ONLY to the external lights or internal too? If external, headlights (low beams, high beams, fogs?), or taillights too?

Moreover, does the voltage drop or spikes? Drop - the lights would dim, spike - the lights would brighten.

Side note: in some Rondos, there is an issue with charging system. If you let the engine rev to lets say 2000 RPM, and let it go back to idle (650 RPM) voltage will drop. It will go from 14.1 V to 12.8 or so - I do not have so sensitive/fast response voltage meter. The voltage drop will affect ALL devices of course - interior lights, blower, exterior light... and it does not matter if you have none or a dozen devices on.

Oh, of course dealer does not know what to do. Even more, he says since more Rondos do that, it must be NORMAL :D
My 2004 Sorento as did other in that BL range for a few years had a WRONG size OEM battery in them even thou the vech had the 120AMP alt. It was a BCI 24/26 500-575CCA 70RS. The proper one should have been the later and recomended upgrade of BCI 34 700CCA 95RS. But most if they were smart like me put back in a BCI 34 800CCA 120RS (autozone 34DLG DURALAST GOLD) or better if you were in COLD climates. And never had issues really again. It also helped that the 34DLG ($90 installed) had a 36/96 warrnety on it and the OEM KIA ($128 installed) has a 12/36 on it. You do the math. ;)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX I4 FWD
33 Posts
My Sorento does this too.It happens going down the road with the lights on high beam.Hadn't paid attention to the speed or temp,but it doesn't do it parked in the yard revving the engine or at idle.Oddly enough it stops when I switch the fog light switch on(fog lights do not come on when high beams are on).I don't know what that would have to do with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's normal for EX models. It's one of safest feature againts overloading.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
My Sorento does this too.It happens going down the road with the lights on high beam.Hadn't paid attention to the speed or temp,but it doesn't do it parked in the yard revving the engine or at idle.Oddly enough it stops when I switch the fog light switch on(fog lights do not come on when high beams are on).I don't know what that would have to do with it.
Ok I understand what you are saying here. As my 2004 (BL) Sorento LX the low beams and high beams would all four come on when you hit the highbeam switch. But the FOGS only work by DOT LAW on low beams setting. When you hit the high beams weather they are on or not and you hit the switch the FOGS will go off or will not come on if you hit the fog switch while the HIGHs are on. All vechs are like that factory, unless you retro wire them after you buy vech to do that. OR dealer install or self install the FOG LIGHT KIT. And wire it that way then. That is for FOG lights. I am not clear or sure on the full DOT law if it is marketed as a DRIVING LIGHT in the vech. But I imagine it is the same, as I have seen very few that work on highbeam.

P.S. I have had a few that did. But they were self installed factory upgrade kits. Or a few times I rewired them to work that way on purpose after i bought the vech. All it takes is a change of the trip wire for the relay from the headlight curcuit to the parking light curcuit. FYI only change the RELAY TRIP wire not the lights/relay POWER SOURCE wire. But it is best if unsure what you sure doing, to leave it DOT LEGAL and not play. ;)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX I4 FWD
33 Posts
Ok I understand what you are saying here. As my 2004 (BL) Sorento LX the low beams and high beams would all four come on when you hit the highbeam switch. But the FOGS only work by DOT LAW on low beams setting. When you hit the high beams weather they are on or not and you hit the switch the FOGS will go off or will not come on if you hit the fog switch while the HIGHs are on. All vechs are like that factory, unless you retro wire them after you buy vech to do that. OR dealer install or self install the FOG LIGHT KIT. And wire it that way then. That is for FOG lights. I am not clear or sure on the full DOT law if it is marketed as a DRIVING LIGHT in the vech. But I imagine it is the same, as I have seen very few that work on highbeam.

P.S. I have had a few that did. But they were self installed factory upgrade kits. Or a few times I rewired them to work that way on purpose after i bought the vech. All it takes is a change of the trip wire for the relay from the headlight curcuit to the parking light curcuit. FYI only change the RELAY TRIP wire not the lights/relay POWER SOURCE wire. But it is best if unsure what you sure doing, to leave it DOT LEGAL and not play. ;)
I know that's how it's supposed to work.I was just clarifying that for those who may not know.I just can't see why turning that switch on would have an effect on the high beams flickering.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SpicyRed

PLP

According to my observation, it doesn't affect the internal lighting as it flickers or voltage drops nor my tachometer is stable. What the situation telling particularly on headlights only.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts