Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016, Kia, Rio EX Hatchback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. ?

I recently noticed when I'm parked and the engine running idle that the headlights dim slightly when I press on the brake. I have a 2016 Kia Rio EX Hatchback with 10,000 miles. Is this something normal or a sign that something needs to be checked?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
When your at an idle your alternator is not at 100% charging rate. When you apply your brakes when parked, and your headlights are already on, your putting a higher load on your battery, without the benefit of a fully charging alternator.....makes sense?

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
315 Posts
My 2016 Rio with 140,000 KM does not do this at any time. Last car I had that did this was a 1969 Dodge. The charging system, even at idle, is designed to provide sufficient output to run all features and accessories. However, it will only charge the battery once under load, that is, while being driven.

Make sure your alternator belt is tight, and not slipping at all because it is old and/or glazed.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,343 Posts
A 4 year old vehicle with 10,000 MILES????? I'd sooner bet the battery is NOT "up to par" from LACK OF USE.
Have the battery "load tested" by any place near you that sells batteries for cars. (Autozone, NAPA, O'Reilly's, Walmart...etc.)

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
Good call Mia...I'd be changing out the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts