Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Optima
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am verrrrrrryyyyyy UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!......I love our kia but for some reason I'm replacing a headlamp every 1 1/2 - 2 months!...this is getting really old real quick. I am a car guy so I understand not to touch the bulb and how to put it in!....I even upgraded to silverstars last month thinking a better light might do it!...NOPE...SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....we have had the car about 2 years and this is an on going problem...the dealer is useless also!...any help would be great!
Thanks for letting me vent! :angry:

Attachments

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I havnt had any issues with my headlights on my Optima. I have heard of this because a few other members on this site have had this issue but no one that I know of has told us how it was fixed or what the problem was.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by selnerm@Oct 2 2005, 07:16 PM
I am verrrrrrryyyyyy UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!......I love our kia but for some reason I'm replacing a headlamp every 1 1/2 - 2 months!...this is getting really old real quick. I am a car guy so I understand not to touch the bulb and how to put it in!....I even upgraded to silverstars last month thinking a better light might do it!...NOPE...SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....we have had the car about 2 years and this is an on going problem...the dealer is useless also!...any help would be great!
Thanks for letting me vent! :angry:
WOW, that really does suck.. I had to replace mine a few months back and I did buy the Sylvania Silverstars and I haven't had any problems. In your case the ONLY thing that I can think is that you might have a HOT wire connecting to your bulb.. what I mean is that the bulb that is burning out fast might have the wires that deliver too much power.. can't really explain it.. but if you could test each wire to see how much wattage they're receiving could help.. but then again I am NOT a mechanic.. LOL =P

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have same problem. wife was driving off yesterday and I noticed another one out. I changed the other side about a month ago. It is really lame. What is up? I am completely aware of the not touching of the bulb. Maybe it is the silverstars themselves? Maybe they are not being packaged carefully? I have to try another brand man.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by dangerz0ne@Oct 11 2005, 01:02 PM
I have same problem. wife was driving off yesterday and I noticed another one out. I changed the other side about a month ago. It is really lame. What is up? I am completely aware of the not touching of the bulb. Maybe it is the silverstars themselves? Maybe they are not being packaged carefully? I have to try another brand man.
It's NOT the brand.. you can't blame a brand just because it didn't work right for you. NEWayz, again more than likely it's NOT the BULB just burning out.. get the wires tested at autozone or advance auto or something.. don't jump to conclusion. I have silverstars myself and I have NO PROBLEMS! Stop bad mouthing Sylvania for your problem.

If you still have your receipt then you can bring it back.. or just call Sylvania and let them know.. they will REPLACE the bulb for FREE! I bought mine at advance auto parts and the first set had a bulb that burnt out and so I took it back and got a replacement for FREE!

·
Registered
6 Posts
relax bro. I am just tired of changing these friggin bulbs. I am not the only one. It is not isolated. There is an obvious problem. The last car we owned was a mitsubishi. I replaced the headlight bulbs 0 times in 3 years. So far, my KIA have been replaced about 8-10. :banana: :460: :banana:

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
716 Posts
Try another Kia dealer in your area if that is a possible in your case. I have a very good relationship with the service people at my Kia dealership and spoke with them about your problem. The feeling is that your alternator voltage is maybe "spiking" and causing the burn outs. Some bulbs are more sensitive to spike burn outs than other bulbs. He recommended having your dealer check the alternator for proper voltage regulation and if the dealer is not handy then go to an AutoZone store and have them check it for you.

I asked another service department the same question, we have six dealers in my area, and was told it probably was the alternator putting out too much juice. The same exact recommendation was given about the alternator spike.

One last thing, moisture getting inside the bulb housing unit can lead to a short out. Check your seals to be sure they are tight and not letting moisture into the plastic lens housing. Some Optimas have had seal issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Optima
12 Posts
Bad grounding. The wires are getting hit buy something on in my case i just changed the grounding area and checked all the jackets on the wires. Bad grounding and open wires dont mix.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by XmenMR@Oct 19 2005, 06:53 PM
Bad grounding. The wires are getting hit buy something on in my case i just changed the grounding area and checked all the jackets on the wires. Bad grounding and open wires dont mix.
W3RD!!!As you can see Xmen doesn't par take in our forum.. so when he does.. you better listen! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Optima
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK..sorry it took so long to get back but I'm soo busy at work and all!...but I did some checking on my altenator...14.4v...seems bout normal...I also checked the voltage at the headlight....14.2 volts....is this normal?....I thought that it should be closer to 12v!....thanks for your help!....I called my dealer and they told me I should bring it in to be looked at....they couldn't give me the reccomended voltage specs!....What kinda manuals are out there for my optima?....Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
83 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel you you buddy, I have a '05 and have owned it for 7 months and replaced the factory bulbs with the Sylvania Silverstars. and I just had another one go out on me just yesterday. That makes 4 bulbs in 7 months, ( Thank God Walmart has them on the clearnace rack ) But this is getting old!! My dealer said to just go back to the factory bulbs. He tired to give me the line that after market bulbs dont play well with Kia's. Well I know that is bull. But I will have them check the alt. maybe I will get somewhere with that.

My home away from home

·
Registered
2003 Kia Optima
12 Posts
I believe i have gone over this before, but here a go again. Bulbs that you put in your car run off volts. Volts are key with lights because if you have too much volts the bulbs life will fall short. Just 3 extra volts will reduce the life of a bulb by half. The problem to me sounds like you need to go have your cars power checked. Have some one check the volts produced buy your Alternator. If it is high get a new one. If that is the problem then every part of the car that uses electricity, that part is being damaged. That means the ECU, sensors, gauges, leds, bulbs so on and so forth. If the alternator is not the problem then check the power that is at the lights themself, you may have a grounding problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The #1 killer of halogen bulbs is the oils from your finger tips. Never touch the glass part of the bulb while installing it. Get a super clean kleenex (lotion free) or soft clean cloth rag and wipe the bulb down very carefully before installation. Don't use any cleaners on it and make sure that the spring clip that holds it in place is secure (vibration).

This applies to all halogen bulbs: car headlamps, house floodlamps, house floorlamps, etc.

I've had my car for 4+ years. I only changed the low-beams once, and that was just to upgrade to a brighter bulb.

·
Registered
KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
561 Posts
Originally posted by bjm@Oct 21 2005, 01:22 PM
14.2 is normal.  i still think that its wierd that everything says 12v but most vehicles today run around 14v.  even the new battery for my wifes car is 13.9v, still says 12v.  when you get to 16v then you have a problem.
Lead acid batteries that is what is fitted to motor vehicles are constructed of six cells each with a nominal discharge voltage of 2.2 when these cells are connected in series the total voltage of the batt equals 13.2V.
Typically delivering power underload they should nominally produce around 12V, hence there name.

To charge a battery you need to apply a voltage in excess of 13.2V to reverse the internal chemical reaction and then be able to store electrical power chemically, and manufacturers have found that charging around 14-14.4V does efficiently recover the batterys charge without overboiling the electrolyte.

There would IMHO be 3 reasons typically bulbs burn out prematurely,

first: electrical, that is too much voltage is applied. This is possibly the reason they are failing prematurely but based on owners reports it appears that their alternators are charging normally. Voltage spikes are common with all alternator charging systems but part of the role of the battery in a 12 volt elec system is to protect the cars electrical system by acting as a system shock absorber. Besides if there were voltages spikes that could blow a headlamp bulb, there are other far more sensitive electrical components in the car that would be failing first due to overvoltage. I tend to discount this failure mode.

second: Mechanical; either the bulbs are being mishandled in storage, distribution or during fitment, or they are being vibrated excessively by road shock once installed due to poor lamp construction or retention, this I believe would be worth checking out.

third: There is a possibility of poor quality lamps, or maybe just a bad batch, again it is very hard to determine if this is likely cause, except maybe to try another brand of known quality such as Hella.

If after changing brands the problem persists I would then be looking at the headlight housings for looseness or rattles as the likely cause of the problem.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by AZr2nut@Apr 25 2006, 10:52 PM
The #1 killer of halogen bulbs is the oils from your finger tips. Never touch the glass part of the bulb while installing it. Get a super clean kleenex (lotion free) or soft clean cloth rag and wipe the bulb down very carefully before installation. Don't use any cleaners on it and make sure that the spring clip that holds it in place is secure (vibration).

This applies to all halogen bulbs: car headlamps, house floodlamps, house floorlamps, etc.

I've had my car for 4+ years. I only changed the low-beams once, and that was just to upgrade to a brighter bulb.
Well what bulb have you been using for the past 4 years?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by ahfrederick@Apr 28 2006, 10:42 PM
Well what bulb have you been using for the past 4 years?
I don't remember the brand name, but they are from Autozone. I do remember I paid about $20 each. They are the blue ultra brights. I kept the packaging. I'll look it up when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Originally posted by AZr2nut@May 1 2006, 10:03 PM
I don't remember the brand name, but they are from Autozone. I do remember I paid about $20 each. They are the blue ultra brights. I kept the packaging. I'll look it up when I get a chance.
Sylvania "Cool Blue" bulbs? $20 each? Then could they be Sylvania Silverstars (I have those currently in mine)

Well actually ANY bulbs lasting 4 years is amazing! Even OEMs don't last 4 years... then again I could be wrong! :grin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts