Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KIA Sorrento EX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a rant, more for the information of forum users and KIA. First off the vehicle has been great so other than flip down seats occasionally sticking my wife loves it. Lately been having a problem with the low beam headlamps. First one of them had to be smacked and it would start working. Then that became an issue with opening up the headlamps access and wiggling the wires. The the other one went out, same drill. My wife doesn't drive at night much so it wasn't an inconvenience. Recently that changed and I had to actually check the lights out more thoroughly. What I found was not good. I had replaced the factory bulbs with the same wattage but Silverstars. What if found was a mess, the connectors on both sides had partially disintegrated and also had damaged the receptacle on the bulb. It was basically filled with the burnt up plastic from the connector. I was able to locate ceramic connectors at my local parts store and replaced the damaged connectors. I also had to replace the bulbs with new ones because they had been damaged by the connector issues. Needless to say not a fun job. They now work as new and the heat at the connection is reduced by the increased wire size of the replacement connectors and the heat dissipation of the ceramic material. I understand this has been a problem and yet I see no recall. I would have taken it the dealer but they are constantly backed up and it would have days to fix something that took me about an hour and half and that was with me taking my time in a very cold garage. One thing that contributes to this the fact there is no ventilation within the headlamp assembly because its all sealed. I would hope KIA will address this before someone has both their lights go out on a dark and has an accident or worse.

IMG_0555[1].JPG

·
Registered
White 2018 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
138 Posts
You should've gotten a letter from Kia about the headlight recall. Here's an old thread.

Here's another with the same problem and fix. Damaged Headlamp Connector

·
Registered
2013 KIA Sorrento EX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you should mention that. I had to clean out the glove box in the wife's KIA yesterday and low and behold I found the letter. Was changing the Cabin Air filter. I was much better off fixing it myself, I replaced their connectors with Ceramic ones and with heavier gauge wire. Also soldered and heat shrunk the connections. Made them longer so its easier to replace the bulbs. Next step is LED's but most of them have a heat sink that will probably not allow the cover to be used. Only thing that torqued me off was the old plastic connectors melted into the bulb bases and basically ruined two perfectly good operating Silverstars. I need a really tiny file to see if I can get the guide piece in the bulb cleaned off enough to reuse. All this, not to mention I would have had to drop off the vehicle, leave it for a day or more to do a job it took me about an hour to do including getting the materials. Autozone carries the connectors on the shelf. So $12 for connectors and $40 for a new pair of Silverstars. All fixed, happy wife, happy life.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
413 Posts
Next step is LED's but most of them have a heat sink that will probably not allow the cover to be used.
I'm pretty sure there are replacement dust covers that have a projection to allow most LED lamp assemblies to fit. I didn't need them on my 2020 Sorento, but maybe you might.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts