Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI 2,0 automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I just bought a Kia Carens 2,0 CRDI (diesel) 2003. I dislike the week headlamps, not suficient light in the traffic jam. The former owner tried to install a HID kit (xenon), but disliked the result. The light was spread in a strange way. Do somebody have any experiences to improve the headlights on this car? Does it exist H4 hallogen 70W in stead of 55W which would give better light? I hope some of you have the same bad lights as I have. Awaiting your reply.

Best regards
from Norway

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
if the vehicle is that old, is the reflector lens cover crystal clear? If not there are kits that will clean that up.

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI 2,0 automatic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad headlights

if the vehicle is that old, is the reflector lens cover crystal clear? If not there are kits that will clean that up.
The reflectors looks good, mut the "plastic glasses" looks a bit "fogy". I think probably the main problem is loose of effect in the el. system. A stronger H4 (not 100w), about 70W will help, but does not know if such exists.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
The reflectors looks good, mut the "plastic glasses" looks a bit "fogy". I think probably the main problem is loose of effect in the el. system. A stronger H4 (not 100w), about 70W will help, but does not know if such exists.
I am not aware of stronger H4s. However, more power means higher current - as a result you might have problems with wiring harness... Besides, higher power means more heat. More heat will burn or eventually melt the reflector.

Now, what you can do?

It is relatively large headlight; hence, projector retrofit is possible.
You may go with some inexpensive and relatively easy Morimoto D2S Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S 2.0 - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc
or Morimoto H1 bixenon projector.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf/trs_tech/Morimoto_Mini_D2S_Retrofit.pdf

However, before you do anything - get a 3M (or similar product) to polish off the haze from headlight. Then put some better light bulbs (if you do not want to go with retrofit) such as Philips crystal vision or whatever they are called.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts