Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachmentid=839][attachmentid=840]Just an FYI, if you are getting ghost codes (P0133) Oxy sensor slow to respond, check you headgasket for leaks. Mine had a minor leak, but I had to pull the head off and replace it anyway to get rid of the code and pass emissions. I posted some pics of the procdure in the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just curious...what did the whole job cost you? When I was pricing head gaskets, they were over $100.

A while back I broke my timing belt, which in turn destroyed the valves, so my options were a valve job (and possibly a new head) or swap the whole motor. I found a low-mile junkyard motor for $400, so that was clearly the best option for me. I didn't see how I could do a complete valve job for less than that. (and also, with 113k, it was nice to get a new bottom end as well.

Mark in MA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drivewire.com has the best price on kia parts I have found. headgasket was 49.99, timing belt was 30.00, just cost me less than 100.00 bucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The pistons on your pic look very clean. Mine had a fair amount of carbon buildup on the tops...how many miles on yours?

If your doing the timing belt, might as well do the water pump too.

Just a tip, don't over-tweak the timing belt tensioner spring (it doesn't go around a full revolution).

Mark in MA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[attachmentid=843]That pic was taken after I had cleaned things up, here is a pic of the pistons right after head removal before any cleaning. I figured I should get everything cleaned up before putting the car back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, that's about how mine looked.

Looks like that water line that goes behind the exhaust manifold has a bit of "creative dimensional modification" to it...;) I don't recall mine having that bend in it.

Mark in MA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does have a sharp bend to it in both corners, but it was not hard to work around, though it looks like it would be. I am going to be putting the engine back together tomorrow as my parts have arrived. Drivewire.com is a great source for parts and there shipping is very quick. I am very impressed with their service. By the way, if you get a chance to look at there site, Kia issued a super duty timing belt to replace the original and the recommend the use of it to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
[attachmentid=938]considering this is what my head looks like, I would hate to see what my pistons are going to look like when I finish getting the head off. My oil light just came on at random when there was no oil loss. I see why now. I got the motor partly dismantled. I have a problem with running out of daylight. I should have the head off this weekend. Hopefully the bottom half will be in good shape.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
holy stizik that looks like crap what happened?

·
Registered
13 Posts
that my friend is what happens when the previous owner doesn't change the oil for 90000 miles. We started having problems with it so I took the valve cover off to see what the problem could be and THERE IT IS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congealed oil, either its been in there way to long, or you have been using some nasty oil additive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if this is how this year is going to be then can I just skip it and move on to 2007. First the kia goes down due to something beyond my control, and then the wife has a battle out in alpharetta with a suburban in my civic and lost. So now I MUST get the Kia running again before the insurance company comes and gets my Honda which will probably be sometime next week or we're both gonna be walking since me being the genius that I am decided not to get rental reimbursement on my policy to try and save a little money.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about the Honda, thats never any fun. Does not look damaged that bad though, they are not going to fix it? Anyway onto the Kia, have you pulled the head yet? Just wandering what progress you made up to this point. You will probley want to have that head cleaned up at a machine shop, But you should be able to see down the oil galleys with a flashlight, at least some of the way and see if they are all clogged as well. I will check the forums again soon to see what you have found.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Head is off, I'm worked on that all yesterday. Did what I could on the pistons since I don't really want to take them out of the car. If you have any advice feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]. I use yahoo to keep from getting spammed by forums (since I'm on so many of them). As for the galleys, not sure yet, ran out of daylight, as you can see I'm doing all this in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I'm renting a PT Cruiser now for the wife, and I'm driving the civic so I have to have this done by sunday the 15th. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can see there is alot of oil ontop of the piston crowns, but that can be cleaned off, do you have any pictures of the bottom side of the head?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, by the way, have you attempted to drain the oil from the pan yet?
When you pull the drain plug off, you will need to measure how many quarts of oil come out, that will tell you if any congealed oil remains in the bottom end, if there is any at all. I would probley jack the car up and remove the oil pan for comfort and look visually to make sure oil pump pickup is not clogged or anything. I will be online for a while tonight, hopefully you can get some pics up here so I can help you. I will put some pics of mine up in a minute.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote from Drivewire.com below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vehicle: 2002 Kia Spectra 1.8DOHC 4Dr
Part: Timing Belt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long-life version
Kia has superseded the std duty belt #0K247-12-205 to this heavy-duty long- life belt. Fits
All

Product Brand List Price Core Ships Add to Cart
A5000-107604 Timing Belt Conti $35.06 Ships Today

1 - 20 of 21 Posts