Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I own two Picantos (1.0 GS - both identical except for the colour). One of them is 6 months old, and the other is 4 months old.

Both of them had the problem with the rear brakes screeching like banshees. One of them also had a door that wouldn't open from the inside (and after you did open it, it wouldn't slam closed), as well as a bunch of cables hanging out from under the dash, but those were fixed straight away under warantee.

Far worse is a coolant leak that started recently on the older Picanto. Within a couple of days, ALL of the coolant leaked out (and i was only alerted to this by the temp warning light). At first the dealer wouldn't accept there was a problem, but after leaving the car at the dealer overnight, he could witness that the coolant dropped a litre overnight (without the car being driven at all). He couldn't find the leak, but thought it was the head gasket. After a two week delay (and sending various parts to/from Kia), the head gasket was changed. This seems to have solved the leakage.

However, now there is another problem (which has been caused by the 'repair'). The engine now makes a ticking noise (which is quite loud while idling, and gets louder when accelerating). There is also a strange smell noticed after driving the car.

So, am I correct in assumming that the smell is related to oil burning or mixing with water? I know absolutely nothing about cars. Is it likely that this is a simple fault which can be fixed easily, or is it likely that the engine has some kind of serious damage which will result in 3 years of messing about under warantee?

This same car has another problem that I've always had with this Picanto whereby there is a vibration that can be heard/felt when accelerating (almost exclusively under second gear). It's like a sort of rattling noise. The car also seems to stall very easily in 1st/2nd gear (which my second Picanto does not do). The dealer says that this is exhaust, and he is waiting for some component to fix it.

Is it likely that these issues could be related, and basically I got a Picanto with a dodgy engine straight out of the factory?

Any advice would be greatfully received. So far I really like the Picanto, but I'm starting to have serious doubts about the quality of the car. <_<

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There has been a few problems with coolant loss on the Picanto's, theres a plug in the head that has been under specc'd for a certain range, also head gaskets not tight enough.
Last one I saw required a new engine to cure as Heads were not available.

Ticking noise sounds like they have not adjusted the tappets properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murphwiz,

Thanks for the reply. That's interesting about the under specc'd plug. I'll mention that on Tuesday when it goes back to the dealer. I guess the dealers would have received a notification about this, but he certainly didn't mention anything when it first went in for the leak.

Could the tappets also be causing the odd burning smell, or is that something else? Also, is it likely that the adjustment of the tappets would have been messed up by the dealer when they did the work on the gasket (or is this an unrelated area)?

As I said, I know absolutely nothing about all this. However, in my experience, the dealers that end up fixing my car know even less ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Apr 24 2005, 10:17 PM
There has been a few problems with coolant loss on the Picanto's, theres a plug in the head that has been under specc'd for a certain range, also head gaskets not tight enough.
Last one I saw required a new engine to cure as Heads were not available.

Ticking noise sounds like they have not adjusted the tappets properly.
I also have the problem of coolant loss from Full to half full within 2 weeks. I have called the dealer but they said that it is unusual for the coolant loss but they don't where the coolant was lost. They tell me to refill to coolant with water when the coolant is lost to low level before they have the answer from KIA. So what can I do?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
WOE IS ME!

My car is now just over seven months old and yes it is also leaking coolent. It will go from full to half in the reservior in a week. Sigh. I don't know where it is leaking from but sure KIA will fix it tomorrow. I thought mine was okay at first having just read this post, but upon looking closely I could see it was just a shadow and was nearly out! sigh. My dealer is having a look at it for me. Half the reservior gone in a week. great. I suggest you check yours now and maybe keep an eye on it every wash.....

Ah well.... just hope it isnt leaking onto bare metal. :blink:

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
Originally posted by pls@Apr 25 2005, 02:40 PM
I also have the problem of coolant loss from Full to half full within 2 weeks. I have called the dealer but they said that it is unusual for the coolant loss but they don't where the coolant was lost. They tell me to refill to coolant with water when the coolant is lost to low level before they have the answer from KIA. So what can I do?
Well I have just experienced the same thing, mine seems to empty in about that amount of time. The dealer has told me my car is safe and ok to drive. The service manager told me that it is not an "external" or "externally detectable" leak and is also waiting to hear back from KIA tech. Will keep you posted as to what happens with this one!

Car also going in for work on the gearbox which is baulking (not sure how to spell that) in first, second and reverse....

My poor porly picanto :crying:

Get well soon lol.

Mike

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by completechimp@Jul 6 2005, 11:49 PM
The service manager told me that it is not an "external" or "externally detectable" leak and is also waiting to hear back from KIA tech. Will keep you posted as to what happens with this one!

Mike
Go back to your dealer, tell them to take the thumbs out thier arses and look up the Picanto technical bulletin ref coolant loss!
It's all explained in there, a simple enough fix, why don't they read the bulletins :angry:

Date: 23rd May 2005
Bulletin No: BA006 / 006

Section: 10
Model: Picanto

Coolant Loss / Overheating

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
:D Brilliant,

Will call them tomorrow morning and see whats going on, that should help imensly!

Thanks murphwiz :thumbsup:

Just out of interest what is the simple fix?

Mike

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ones simple, and so far so good so to speak, thats removing a plug from under the camshaft, cleaning, resealing and torquing, last feww I've seen have been only finger tight!
Other may involve a new head, either way, there is a bulletin covering both situations! Every dealer should have it on file and avilable!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there any way one could get Picanto technical bulletin for their own reference.
preferably in electronic format (pdf, doc etc...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
another suspect head gasket

09 1.0 picanto 24,000 miles. checked levels last week... found creamy gunk all up dipstick. (we all no there is only 1 problem which causes this dont we- head gasket!)... as the car does not have a temp guage, and the light has not came on, i believe i have caught the problem early... i phoned my dealer, who has agreed to look at the car for a DIAGNOSTIC CHARGE (OH SO WHAT ABOUT THE WARRENTEE?) I am concerned I will be fobbed off as it is not externally detectable... but there is obviously a little bit of water getting into the oil somwhere... anyone with the same symptoms tell your dealer to PRESSURE TEST THE CYLINDERS... it takes about half hour 45 mins and basicaly consists of a pressure gauge being inserted into where the spark plugs go... they then turn the engine over and the pressure of each cylinder is recorded.... if the head gasket has gone, and its not externaly visable, a pressure test will confirm if there is an internal problem with it. my dealer has allready done 2 auxillery belts, and attempted to charge me for the second one as 'it had allready been done once under the wattentee'... i went to another dealer who was happy to do it under said warrentee... youve gota watch these dealers they like to charge customers, and then re-charge kia, so they get paid twice!... dont stand for it! ;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts