Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a couple yrs old, but applies to the Sportage as well. Soon afterward, I put on Cooper CS-4 tires, and it was amazingly better then the o.e. Kumho Solus KL-21's!

Go, practice, put your car through it's paces so you'll know in an emergency what to expect, and how to drive it.

* Sorry, Please note I had the wrong page posted here before, (Page2), This is Page 1

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/224-t...-handling-practice-testing-esc-4wd-modes.html

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
I actually drove to Boston over the weekend to see this storm first hand. I drove through snow from about NYC to Boston Friday afternoon. Had zero problems. Took the Sportage out around Boston Sunday morning before driving back home. The vehicle seems to handle very well, although, I think it's better to turn the traction control "off" when driving around city streets. There is a little more wheel spin with it off but it seems to cut through deeper snow quicker. I do think more aggressive tires would help and plan on purchasing some when the originals are worn.

·
Registered
2014 ForteKoup SX
32 Posts
No snow here in DFW, but we had a driving rain storm when the last front blew in on Saturday 2-9 and 2-10. I had a gig in Dallas that ended at 2 am when the bars close down here. I live about 30 miles south of Dallas. Driving home, the rain hit and it was a deluge, about horizontal sometimes. All the freeway lights were out and the road semi flooded. The Sportage (pictured in my avatar) handled great! the anti-skid came on when needed and worked. I have never had a vehicle that handled so confidently in a storm. This guy made me just want to buy another Sportage if it ever wears out!
I'll keep the tire advice in mind, but the OEM tires work fine, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
we got hammered with snow,24". by the time we dug out, roads are clean. i've been trying to find a shotty day to drive and see how it really drives

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I live in Canada, so snow is a regular occurrence for us. I have my SX equipped with winter tires and it is an absolute beast. The only time I ever have any "issues" is when the roads are ICE. Anything that is somewhat slick, or snow, this thing just plows through. It's especially fun having an SX with the power to just pin it off the lights and leave all the FWD and RWD long behind lol. :cool:

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX, 2016 Kia Sorento EX V6
27 Posts
I live in Canada, so snow is a regular occurrence for us. I have my SX equipped with winter tires and it is an absolute beast. The only time I ever have any "issues" is when the roads are ICE. Anything that is somewhat slick, or snow, this thing just plows through. It's especially fun having an SX with the power to just pin it off the lights and leave all the FWD and RWD long behind lol. :cool:
I concur. I also live in Canada and have an SX with snow tires. Handles great, except for slush. I prefer the Traction Control off. I have found that I have turned out onto a road and press the accelerator to get going (because traffic is coming) and the traction control cuts the acceleration off. Almost makes it more dangerous. I think it's good to have for those not used to driving in icy conditions though.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Jealous. I wish it would snow here in DC, mainly because they shut everything down and I get to stay home from work. :)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX (Black Cherry), 2012 Piaggio Fly 50 4v (Midnight Blue)
52 Posts
I drove mine over the mountains the day after Christmas in West Virginia/Virginia in the middle of a pretty big snowfall. It wasn't snowing when I started the trek, but by the time I got halfway up the mountain there was a lot of snow on the road and it was pretty slick.

A few times going around a hairpin I gassed it a bit too much and had to correct a slight fishtail, but otherwise I didn't have to worry too much. I just kept it in low gear going down the hills and made it without incident. I had to hang back a few times to let some people who like to crawl up the roads slipping and fish tailing (RWD) so I didn't put myself in harm's way. I was impressed with how easily it would go from a stop on the snowy road and get right up the hill.

I was pretty happy with the way it handled. Stock tires. I will say that I have a bit of experience driving in bad conditions, so it wasn't my "first time".

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage Platinum Diesel
37 Posts
all this talk of snow and ice... it's coming into another scorcher at close to 40C here and I'm beginning to feel my eyes melt

the car is doing fine though - A/C works a treat!

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
All this talk about how great it is getting going from a standstill at a light is great, but stopping is just as important where awd doesn't mean anything. Don't forget that bit.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
All this talk about how great it is getting going from a standstill at a light is great, but stopping is just as important where awd doesn't mean anything. Don't forget that bit.
You are correct. I noticed most vehicles that end up off the road are trucks and SUVs. People seem to think that AWD means you don't have to slow down in bad weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts