Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as me? I bought mine with 9,800 miles on it It's a 2001. Love it but I've replaced the 4-w drive selanoid 5 times now. yes, you read that right. 5 times! I have 54,000 on it now and the warranty goes until 60,000. My dealership told me that if I would have to pay for it it would cost me $1,200 each time. The last time I gave him an ear ful and asked him how much it would cost me after the warranty is up and he said it only costs about $100. Big difference in price wouldn't you say? :blink: I've asked him if it would be covered on the extended warranty they have until 100,000 miles on some parts and he didn't have an answer.

Anyone else have this bad of a problem? If so, what did you do about it? Thinking about either contacting KIA in CA or getting a lawyer. Each time I have to drive 45 min. to the place, they give me a ride to work which they don't do for anyone else which take an hour out of their guys time. Then someone has to drive a half hour to pick me up and another half hour to get the car. Very inconvenient.

Give me your thoughts please.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yep, eliminate the vacuum hub system and install Warn manual hubs.

The vacuum hub system will ALWAYS fail on the Sportage. It's a poor design and Kia never came out with a totally adequate fix. And they never will now because the Generation 1 Sportage is out of production.

So, save yourself the aggravation. A pair of Warn manual hubs can be purchased aftermarket for as little as $103 a pair. Advance Auto Parts can order them and have them in 3 days. Any competent mechanic can install them in under an hour. All you have to do is learn how to use them because they take intervention by the driver. Any 4 wheel drive shop can give you lessons.

Once they are installed you will ALWAYS have 4 wheel drive when you need it and as long as you use them properly they will ALWAYS work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I saw someone (maybe it was you) that had suggested that before so I printed the info. and showed it the the Serv. Manager. If I do anything my warranty would be gone. So I may have to wait another 5,000 miles. Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Installing manual hubs will NOT affect your overall warranty. Only the portion related to the front hub system. Don't let the dealer try to snooker you with that. For example: If you install manual hubs and later on your transmission fails you will still be covered.

And....manual hubs CAN be dealer installed if you request it and are willing to pay their rip off price. But don't go that route. Have them done aftermarket and save yourself big dollars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Installing manual hubs will NOT affect your overall warranty. "

The Magnusson Moss Warranty Act provides that in order for a dealer to deny warranty coverage due to a modification, the modification must have caused the failure. And, the burden is on the dealer to prove such causation.

I have the warn hubs, but havn't installed them yet. My Kia mechanic at Kia said it would be the first thing he did if he had a Sportage.

You would think Kia would install them for you for how much money it would save them. If Customers are willing to deal with the manual hubs, Kia should jump on the chance to avoid this rash of warranty work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last year during a massive snowfall I discovered my Sportage loss 4WD. <_<

I didnt have a good day trying to come home ....

So i went to Kia dealer and he said to me that Vacuum hubs were broken and he change them with a different type. I can switch to/from 2WD and 4WD ONLY when I'm stopping but these work so... they are far better.

Bye

Pila

·
Registered
4 Posts
What pila says in the previous reply is correct. I have replaced the hubs with the Mechanical Automatic-Locking ones that KIA offers. It is true that you have to completely stop the car in order to change to 4WD - but you do not need to go out of the car. Note that I do A LOT of heavy off-road use and never had any problem since then.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds VERY familiar. I used to live in a mountain resort town and NEEDED the 4wd at times....THE reason I bought a 4wd Sportage! I had my hubs and solenoids replaced 5 times in two years............all I got from Kia was excuses so I bought tire chains! I now plan to buy the Warn manual hubs!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts