Kia Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,779 Posts
Has anyone experienced a broken belt before 100k
100k WHAT? miles? km? hours? days?

I assume you are talking about km... but this is the best time to FILL OUT your PROFILE.

So far I have not heard anything.

· Registered
Kia Rondo V6 2008
13 Posts
100k miles. Sorry first Kia, Been a Honda guy. I'm open to changing the belt @ 60k miles just used to something different. Also open to what other items to change at the same time to be effective (seals, water pump, acc belt...) thanks.

· Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6
255 Posts
Just got mine done last night at a hyundai dealer that I knew the mechanic he charged me $250 labor I supplied the timing belt, serpentine belt, and the wrong water pump so I had him order me a Factory Water pump & gasket cost an additional $120.00 total out the door cost $370 I still think thats better than most Kia dealers charge??

· Registered
2012 Mazda 5 Sport 6M, 2011 Kia Soul 1.6 5M
54 Posts
My mother is likely going to be buying a used Rondo in the next couple of weeks. We think we have found the right one, a 2009 2.4 liter LX with the 3rd row. The two main reasons for going with the 4 cylinder were the slightly better fuel economy and its use of a timing chain rather than a belt.

· Registered
2008 Rondo LX 2.7L V6
3 Posts
I changed the timing belt on my 2007 Rondo LX a few weeks ago.
Thankfully, I have a close friend who owns an Independent repair shop and he gave me access to his shop early one Saturday morning.

Mileage on my wife's Rondo was 63,000 miles.
The job was pretty strait-forward and took about 3.5 hrs. with the car on a lift.
The only problem I encountered was that the hydraulic tensioner wouldn't pump back up after we compressed it. We followed Kia's instructions in terms of how to collapse it, but it was toast.
Thankfully I was able to pick up another one from ORiely's for $50 (it even had the Hyundai logo on it!!... btw, the Kia place wanted $185 for the exact same part).
The old timing belt looked like brand new.
In fact, if you laid the new one down next to the old one they were almost indistinguishable.
I'm probably going to push this next belt to 70k or so.

The Kia place quoted me $780 to replace timing belt.
My cost?
Paid $150 for timing belt, $50 for the tensioner, $34 for serpentine belt
Total: $234

Have you replaced your's yet?
I'm facing that right now. The shop I talked to wanted $1500.00 They said $800. of that was labor. That means the parts would be $700! I But the real issue is the water pump, and I've already purchased a water pump , they suggested I send it back!
Is it because I'm a girl?
They said "I didn't understand,. It all comes in a kit."
I had to walk away to keep from spontaneously combusting.

· Registered
157 Posts
I'm facing that right now. The shop I talked to wanted $1500.00 They said $800. of that was labor. That means the parts would be $700! I But the real issue is the water pump, and I've already purchased a water pump , they suggested I send it back!
Is it because I'm a girl?
They said "I didn't understand,. It all comes in a kit."
I had to walk away to keep from spontaneously combusting.
It's really not a bad repair to DIY. I did timing belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, and water pump when I did mine. Some tight quarters, but nothing too bad.

· Registered
2009 Kia Rondo 2.4l (Canadian)
207 Posts
I have no issues with a topic left alone for 11 years being revisited and added onto. It's still relevant, and I don't see why people get so upset.

When it comes to timing belts, I have virtually no personal experience, but figured I could share a bit of related interesting observations from others.

Apparently, the notorious Yugo from like 30 years ago got a bad reputation for build quality, but I heard as long as you kept up on the maintenance, it was fairly respectable. It turns out that part of maintenance was an unusually short timing belt replacement interval recommended at just every 30,000 miles, if memory serves and assuming the source was accurate.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts