Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the timing belt on my 2007 Rondo LX a few weeks ago.
Thankfully, I have a close friend who owns an Independent repair shop and he gave me access to his shop early one Saturday morning.

Mileage on my wife's Rondo was 63,000 miles.
The job was pretty strait-forward and took about 3.5 hrs. with the car on a lift.
The only problem I encountered was that the hydraulic tensioner wouldn't pump back up after we compressed it. We followed Kia's instructions in terms of how to collapse it, but it was toast.
Thankfully I was able to pick up another one from ORiely's for $50 (it even had the Hyundai logo on it!!... btw, the Kia place wanted $185 for the exact same part).
The old timing belt looked like brand new.
In fact, if you laid the new one down next to the old one they were almost indistinguishable.
I'm probably going to push this next belt to 70k or so.

The Kia place quoted me $780 to replace timing belt.
My cost?
Paid $150 for timing belt, $50 for the tensioner, $34 for serpentine belt
Total: $234

Have you replaced your's yet?

· Registered
182 Posts
$234 + 3.5 hrs of your, and someone else's, time + the use of a repair shop and tools + knowing how to do it + no warranty + knowing where to shop for cheaper parts. :rolleyes: Dealer's $780 does not sound outrageous.

I chose not to change the timong belt at all. Bought a 4 cyl. :D

· Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,520 Posts
$234 + 3.5 hrs of your, and someone else's, time + the use of a repair shop and tools + knowing how to do it + no warranty + knowing where to shop for cheaper parts. :rolleyes: Dealer's $780 does not sound outrageous.

I chose not to change the timong belt at all. Bought a 4 cyl. :D
I agree and me too :D The 2.7L is one of the very few engines in the Kia lineup that still uses a belt, the 1.6L in the Rio and the 2.0L in the Soul being the other exceptions.

· Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6
255 Posts
I am coming up on 60k myself and not wanting to do this service on my EX v6...did you replace the water pump? So there is (2) belts to replace? how come the timing belt cost so much $150 sounds high to me...

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am coming up on 60k myself and not wanting to do this service on my EX v6...did you replace the water pump? So there is (2) belts to replace? how come the timing belt cost so much $150 sounds high to me...
Urban07....I was surprised at the cost of the belt as well. Retail was actually 184.95, but the guy gave me a bit of a break.
I replaced the serpentine belt for the accessary drive and the timing belt.
I did not replace the water pump. Why? Well, I asked the Kia place if they replaced the water pump when the did the timing belt and they said, "no, we don't because you don't have to move the timing belt to get to the water pump (if it ever goes bad) like on some designs."

L.C..... As for choosing the V6 over the 4cyl.
The reason I did was simply how much smoother the 6cyl was. The car felt more upscale with the V6. Additionally, I liked the thought of having an extra gear in the trans.
That being said, I'm not sure it was worth the extra. I still really enjoy the smoothness of the six and appreciate the small amount of extra power and gearing, but their is the downside of the timing belt.
Additionally, I've had issues with my transmission... perhaps the simpler 4 speed would have been more reliable??

Would I do the same thing again?
Probably.
But, If i buy another Rondo (used, of course), I would probably get the 4cyl. mainly b/c of what I wrote above and how cheaply you can pick one up.

· Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6 7P
46 Posts
I have a Rondo with 133,000km (83000 miles). Still haven't changed the belt yet. I plan on changing it this spring. Like it was mentioned earlier it still looked brand new, 40,000kms extra will be fine. I've seen timing belts last up to 190,000km. Kia here in Canada wants $280 for this belt. Friend of mine can get it for $180 at his cost. Very expensive, my last car was $60 for timing belt. Somebody is making money somewhere. There are new timing belts that are rated for 160,000km (100,000 miles). Maybe Kia uses this belt and still wants it changed at 100,000km. It would explain the hi price of this belt.

· Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,779 Posts
40,000kms extra will be fine. I've seen timing belts last up to 190,000km.
It will sound harsh, but I am surprised with your ignorance... Well, this is your own business, but please, do not blame KIA for engine damage due to broken TB.
It is only V6 with only two heads and 24 valves can can bent...

Kia here in Canada wants $280 for this belt. Friend of mine can get it for $180 at his cost. Very expensive, my last car was $60 for timing belt.
What car was it? How many HP did it have? Was it I4 8 valves? You can't compare different timing belts...

it still looked brand new
If you saw some cracks on the belt, it means it is already cracked and it is a matter of a few hours to break.

· Premium Member
6,779 Posts
Just came back from my local service/dealer where I was shocked by "new warranty" policies.

Timing belt. At 60k miles they will DETERMINE if TB needs to be replaced.
WHAT?? Determine? How can anyone determine if TB is good...

Oh, and important part - the service cost is 600 USD anyway. If TB needs to be replaced - EXTRA.

It is definitely time to change dealer/service place.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just came back from my local service/dealer where I was shocked by "new warranty" policies.

Timing belt. At 60k miles they will DETERMINE if TB needs to be replaced.
WHAT?? Determine? How can anyone determine if TB is good...

Oh, and important part - the service cost is 600 USD anyway. If TB needs to be replaced - EXTRA.

It is definitely time to change dealer/service place.

PLP: are the 'new warranty' policies from Kia or the dealer itself, acting independently? I'm just curious. The dealers seem to be all over the place and real info from Kia is difficult to come by.
I understand the need to protect themselves by reasonable expectations of service, but they seem to be looking for reasons to deny warranty claims. Additionally, the dealer networks I've experienced vary WIDELY in terms of what they communicate and how they treat you.
My local dealer is offering Mobile One synthetic changes with 10k mile change intervals. Wow. Where's that in the manual?
BUT when I changed my auto transmission fluid at 50 k (manual called for 105k) with a high grade synthetic that was spec'ed for the SP111, the warranty claim on my trans. was denied.

Please elaborate on what you heard.

I'm considering a new Sorento, but Kia's policies are making me re-think this.

· Premium Member
6,779 Posts
As for warranty - the lady did not specify, and I was pissed off on them so I did not dig it.

I bet this is DEALERS opinion, just to make money.
Moreover, and this is insane - they tell you to change oil every 3k miles (yeah, Michigan...). On the top of that (this is the best part) they charge you extra for some kind of OIL LIFE EXTENDER!!

People, start thinking - KIA in Europe tells you to change oil every 15k km (or sometimes even more) and gives you warranty for 7 years /150k km (about 100k miles) - bumper-to-bumper.

· Registered
2013 Hyundai Sonata, 2008 Kia Rondo
409 Posts
I thought that the Canadian rules on timing belts was 100k miles. If this is the case, then we all know Kia isn't about to make 2 different timing belts...one for Canada and one for the rest of the world.

With that being said, I have also taken a Hyundai timing belt over the 100k mile mark with no problem. Will I take that chance with this car? I'll let you know in 9 months (I'm at 45k miles). If I get a confirmation on the Canadian limits, then I probably will go past 60k for sure.

· Registered
409 Posts
If you saw some cracks on the belt, it means it is already cracked and it is a matter of a few hours to break.
Really? a few hours? You really can't estimate how much time a belt has left on it by looking at it....cracks or not. Tiny cracks in a belt are nothing to worry about. Big cracks....now that's another story. By the way, the cord inside the belt has as much if not more to do with whether it will break than the rubber on the outside.

· Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,520 Posts
I thought that the Canadian rules on timing belts was 100k miles. If this is the case, then we all know Kia isn't about to make 2 different timing belts...one for Canada and one for the rest of the world.
you are getting confused between km and miles, in Canada according the maintenance schedule it has a suggested replacement at the 96,000 km or 48 month service (that's about 60,000 miles)

· Registered
409 Posts
you are getting confused between km and miles, in Canada according the maintenance schedule it has a suggested replacement at the 96,000 km or 48 month service (that's about 60,000 miles)
Not like I've never done that before :rolleyes: :lol: I just found a maintenance schedule for the Elantra in Canada. It was 100k km, not miles.

With that being said, I'm less likely to take the risk. It's one thing to push a 2001 Elantra but not this car. I paid a lot more and I like it a lot more than the Elantra. I won't panic at 59,999 though.

· Premium Member
6,779 Posts
Really? a few hours? You really can't estimate how much time a belt has left on it
And this is what I meant. Few hours, few months.... what's the difference?
It is far better to replace it when it is recommended instead of trying to guesstimate how much longer it will last.

On the other hand - I will not hit 60k at 4 years. I will be about 40k miles at most.

Should I change belt then? Or stretch it to 60k miles?

· Premium Member
6,779 Posts

· Registered
409 Posts
My "Yes" answer was meant to be tongue in cheek, but since you insist: :)
Because we all know that things are made more robust when warranty is involved, I would wait until 60k miles. Personal knowledge (and maybe some luck as well) tells me I would be ok. In all my years owning cars, I have only had one timing belt break. It was at well over 100k miles on a non interference engine. The only one I saw go at less that 100k miles was well over 6 yrs old on the same type of engine. Come to think of it, I have only had one accessory belt break in my life as well....over 100k miles.

Just lucky I guess.

· Registered
Kia Rondo V6 2008
13 Posts
Has anyone experienced a broken belt before 100k and not changed it. I follow the warranty requirements but cant digest the mechanical need when any other is much more. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts