Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking under my '12 Sportage it doesn't look like there are any good jack points for jack stands while doing the rotation. Has anyone done this at home or is everyone taking it to the dealer every 5k miles?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I take it either to the dealer or my tire shop. Both do an excellent balance job. I do not rotate without a rebalance, and on the EX I didn't rotate the first time until about 16,000 miles. The fronts wear faster than the rears on mine, but wear is even on all tires. I'm trying to get five years out of the tires so I don't have to buy any before trading it around June of 2016. So, I'll probably rotate again around 25,000 and get an alignment at that time just to be on the safe side.
But no, it has been a few years since I jacked a car and rotated the tires myself, and I have a heavy-duty floor jack, stands and air tools. For $39.99 for rotate/balance, plus all the free checks they do (tread depth, brake pad thickness, chassis bolts, washer fluid top-off, car wash, etc.), I'll run it by there every time. This dealer also gives me oil changes and state inspections for free, so I don't mind giving them any business I might have.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I can't see the need to rotate tyres as frequently as 5000 miles. I've just done it at 15,000 km on one car and found that there was only a minor difference in wear between front and back. Front tyres had slight wear on the outer edges due to cornering (definitely not under-inflation).

Our Cerato will get its tyres rotated when it returns "home" at about 25,000 km. It just hasn't been practical for my son to get it done before that. I'll be including the (unused) spare in that rotation. When checked at 15,000 km there was no evidence of uneven wear, except that the fronts were wearing faster, of course. I'm quessing that might be the last rotation and by 50,000 km we'll need to buy a pair of new tyres and the best of the OEMs will go on the back and to the spare.

I use 2 jacks when I'm rotating tyres. I normally keep tyres on the same side rather than a complete "cross-rotation", so 2 jacks gets the job done more quickly than shuffling around with the spare.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but that doesn't really help me figure out if there are jack points under the car that will be safe to support the car on jack stands. It doesn't look like it other than the thin strip of welded metal right behind the front wheel well and right in front of the rear wheel wells which will not help when you'd have the jack in this place to jack the car up higher than the jacks which you'd normally find points to placethe jacks further in under the car ideally on part of the frame.

I can't see the need to rotate tyres as frequently as 5000 miles. I've just done it at 15,000 km on one car and found that there was only a minor difference in wear between front and back. Front tyres had slight wear on the outer edges due to cornering (definitely not under-inflation).

Our Cerato will get its tyres rotated when it returns "home" at about 25,000 km. It just hasn't been practical for my son to get it done before that. I'll be including the (unused) spare in that rotation. When checked at 15,000 km there was no evidence of uneven wear, except that the fronts were wearing faster, of course. I'm quessing that might be the last rotation and by 50,000 km we'll need to buy a pair of new tyres and the best of the OEMs will go on the back and to the spare.

I use 2 jacks when I'm rotating tyres. I normally keep tyres on the same side rather than a complete "cross-rotation", so 2 jacks gets the job done more quickly than shuffling around with the spare.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
the owners manual only suggests every 7,500 miles or 12 months

Check at the dealership garage to see where they support the vehicle with all the wheels off the ground when they do the same thing.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Jack points are clearly shown in the manual. It's on page 6-10 on my 2012 manual.
He knows that. He's just wondering how to get the car up onto stands using a single jack which ideally should use the same jacking point as the stand.

Sounds like a bit of a tricky proposition to me. Need to be careful that car doesn't fall off stand while the opposite side was being jacked.

The alternative is to use a spare (or borrowed) wheel while the others are being swapped around. Needs double-lifting of at least one corner.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dr. Bob. You are correct the only jack points in themanual show the same jack points I mentioned and would not be idea for trying to get a jack stand in basically the same spot as the jack itself will be. I'll probably just use the spare which brings another question to mind. Do we Sportage owners with the EX or SX that have 18" rims even HAVE spare tires? I was reading on the Optima forum and was dumbfounded that the Optima Limited or Hybrid do NOT come with spares at all just a can of Fix A Flat and a cheapo plastic compressor. Now that I think of it I never checked under the styrofoam tool caddy under the carpeting to see if there is an actual spare tire or donut under there. If not then I'm basically at the mercy of the dealership.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
ahh, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood. That's definitely more tricky. I usually just use the spare tire to rotate tires. However, once my winter set arrives it will be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The other option is to use a suspension hard point to lift each corner of the car, then place the jack stand under the normal jack point (or vise versa)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I am using the spare tire method and just taking my time instead of messing with jack stands. Doing it now, will be happy once it's done.

ahh, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood. That's definitely more tricky. I usually just use the spare tire to rotate tires. However, once my winter set arrives it will be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage EX AWD Premium Pkg, 2001 Ford F150
9 Posts
I did a search for "Kia Service Department" Images.

Saw what looked like a Sportage and the Rotary lift had the pads set at the same lift points as in the manual.

I don't know if that helps.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Just completed the rotation as planned above. Front tyres had 3 to 4mm wear, while rears had 2mm. Original tread depth was 6mm. If wear continues at this rate, I'll need 4 new tyres at 50,000 km and there'll be a reasonable tyre left for the spare. I don't think there'd be any advantage in rotation at shorter intervals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've jacked mine up to rotate the tires. Before I did it I checked with the dealer to find the jack points. I took pics for you and circled the jack stand points as well as the floor jacking points. Hope this helps...

Floor jack points:
In the rear you can jack up under the differential housing (thing that looks like a pumpkin) as long as you use a block of wood between the jack and differential housing.
Rear:

Make sure you also use a block of wood between the jack and jacking point in the front as well.
Front:

Jack stand points:
In the rear use the pinch welds. ONLY use a jack stand under here. DON'T use this as a jacking point for a floor jack or you will crush them
Rear:

In the front you can put the jack stands under the frame rails, or you can use the pinch welds in the front too. (You can also jack under the frame rails if you use a wooden block between the jack and frame rail).
Front:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did the dealer suggest using the differential? That's usually a no-no on most cars as it's not designed to carry any vehicle weight.

I typically use suspension hardpoints as all of the road forces are transmitted through there. The road forces are much higher than the vehicle weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did the dealer suggest using the differential? That's usually a no-no on most cars as it's not designed to carry any vehicle weight.

I typically use suspension hardpoints as all of the road forces are transmitted through there. The road forces are much higher than the vehicle weight.
Yeah, the dealer said under the rear differential is fine as long as you have a block of wood between it and the floor jack. I've been using that as a jack point for the past year and haven't had any problems. Under the suspension hardpoints are a good point too... that's where I use on my Kia Forte.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Sportage EX AWD 70,000 miles.

Wanted to add to this post because I shared the same frustration as the OP. I have run into the issue on previous rotations.

Did full rotation, LOF, front/rear pads and rotors today.

I would not recommend jacking up on the pinch welds or the frame rails pictured. I have slightly bent both.

Actually, I would not recommend using the the pictured frame rails for jack points or as jack stand points. They slightly bent on me when used as a jacking point and as support points with jack stands, jack stands with wood, jack stands with the soft adapters. I also removed some of the undercoating and gashed the metal. Minor stuff but still very frustrating.

Front - I used a floor jack pad and jacked at a point on the front cross member. Then used jack stands with soft adapters on the pinch welds for support.

Rear - I did not feel comfortable jacking on the differential. This is not a straight/solid axle like an old Jeep or Pickup. You will see it is rubber mounted. I used the floor jack pad adapter again and jacked up on the cross member right behind the differential. Then used jack stands with soft pad adapters on the pinch welds to hold it up.

Wish I did this from the beginning. Hope this helps someone.

Jack and Stand Adapters - (I am not promoting this site... just so you guys get the idea)

Audi Performance Parts & Repair Experts Porsche, VW Service & repair - Protech Round Jack Pad - PROTECHROUNDPAD

Audi Performance Parts & Repair Experts Porsche, VW Service & repair - Protech Jack Stand Pad - PROTECHSTANDPAD

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
134 Posts
I just did my first tire rotation today on my Sportage AWD, which is at 10,000 miles and still wearing the original Hankook Optimo H426. All 4 tires had really minimal wear. I only used the spare tire and the included jack to do my rotation. My pattern was front to back on the same side and rear to front diagonally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts