Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento 3.5L V6 , 2001 Ford F150 Super Crew 5.4 4x4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to tackle this problem. I have a 2011 Kia Sorento V6 Auto. My wife returned home and the car was making a horrible screeching sound. I traced it down to the engine starving for oil. Upon removing the oil pan and the oil pump screen, one of the vanes in the oil pump has jumped out and got stuck in the pump housing causing the shaft to break.

I already have the new pump on hand and can confirm that the shaft of the old pump is broken.

I have looked around and there are no videos, only vauge documentation on how to replace it. I was hoping that someone has done this before. I called a mechaninc and he wants $2500.00 to replace the pump. I just recently replaced both ball joints and control arms. Both struts and springs. New tires all around. I really don't want to drop more money on this, as well I have a payment on this every month still. It has 102,000 miles.

I am very good at working on vehicles. I am a industrial mechanic by trade and have all the tools for such a repair. I have pics that I can upload if anyone wants them.

Thank you for your time and would like some feedback.

Thank you,
SpagettiiSauce.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,168 Posts
What about the rest of the engine(bearings, timing chain, camshafts,etc) damaged by driving it with oil starvation???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it doesn't apear to have any other damage. It was not driven far at all. I believe the vane fell out when I reversed out the driveway. I heard the noise and immedietly shut it off and pushed it back into the driveway. So, maybe it was driven 20 feet with no load.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
No it doesn't apear to have any other damage. It was not driven far at all. I believe the vane fell out when I reversed out the driveway. I heard the noise and immedietly shut it off and pushed it back into the driveway. So, maybe it was driven 20 feet with no load.
You posted the wife came home with it making a horrible screeching sound". does not sound so promising me for what the oil pump is there to function for. Can't help with "step by step" for pump replacement, but Good Luck to you!...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, what I believe the screeching sound was the vane being stuck and scaping in the pump housing.The pump was still being turned as vane was lodged in the housing. I suppose I should have said after my wife returned and I started it, it was screeching for me. Also, I forgot to mention that before I removed the screen on the oil pump. I did a filter change (Filter was horrible and crusty.) and oil change then started the vehicle it ran fine for about 20 seconds. Then, that is when I believe the shaft broke. Shut it down and went into the pan and found the vane lodged in the housing.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,607 Posts
I think there's a bit of wishful thinking going on here - my expectation is the engine is toast.

(Filter was horrible and crusty.)
What's the service record, what oil and oil filter used and the change interval?

Oil pumps typically outlast engines, .....unless they suffer from poor maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil used was 5w-20 Filter was 263203CAA0...Regular oil changes. No problems ever on the engine before this. I do know that oil pumps do usually outlast the engine. The engine is not seized and sounded just fine with fresh oil throughout the system, when I changed the oil. i will attach a picture. I really do not think the engine is toast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey guys one more thought here, I came across this illustration. Does this mean I can change it inside the oil pan!! No need to take the engine apart? I am really hoping it is a yes!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,607 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I stated that I couldn't give you a "step by step" for the task, looks like you found the info you need. Too bad that I can't enlarge the image to be able to read it to be able to "concur" about it.
You MAY be able to fix the causale root problem, but I still fear for internal engine damage done from the pumps failure as in my and moderator ron's postings. IF the pump replacement makes it runnable, GOOD for you but please let us know the outcome after surgery and during the rehabilitation time afterwards. Sounds like more and shorter intervals of oil and filter changes SHOULD BE IN ORDER.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:D: After getting that diagram, it is indeed the correct procedure for my 2011 Kia Sorento 3.5L. I went right out started to work on it. Took about 2 hours total. You can do it all right there with the pan off. No need to tear down the engine.

After installing the new oil pump and waiting 30 mins for the gasket to seal. I filled up the oil and did a soft start by pulling the fuel pump fuse so it would just cycle the oil. Did that twice. Put the fuel pump fuse in and it started right up. I have to say, the engine sounds fantastic. No more Kia start up noise. It sounds the best it ever has.

Took it for a test drive and no odd noise at all coming from the engine. I did have noise coming from the rotors but that just because it has been sitting outside for a 3-4 weeks and rust got on the rotors.

Overall, it was actually very easy to replace. I want to thank you for your advice. I will update this if any problems do rise in the future. I must say I am actualy suprised how easy and happy I am with the repair.

Now I have to go hear it from the wife why I didn't do it sooner.;)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Must be quite a relief for you on both accounts (doing the fix & that it seems to run OK), MAY I suggest spending the money for fresh oil and filter be done sooner than normal(say around 3k miles? AND keep an "ear" out for it at start ups when cold first start. Along with regular oil level checks.
Amazing, but sounds promising to good recovery for the vehicle! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes I will take your suggestion, and replace with fresh oil and filter every 3000 miles. I will make sure that I do it myself from now on as well. The last place stripped the oil filter cap too. I am very relived. Normaly, I always have the worst luck with vehicles, so this is a grand victory for me. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
631 Posts
Try to run full synthetic oil in her from here on out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations ! $2500 easily earned! As a bonus: satisfaction from accomplishing the job on your own.
YES!! I am very happy. I am very satisfied and my wife is happy too!! Happy wife happy life !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts