Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I notice on ALLDATA, it mentions book time as 10.8 to replace automatic transmission filter.

It can't take 10.8 hours to replace a the filter, can it?

Other than that, there are no procedure images to replace the filter.

Would anyone just leave the filter alone?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,453 Posts
View attachment 114814

I notice on ALLDATA, it mentions book time as 10.8 to replace automatic transmission filter.

What engine does it have?
The 3.5 does not show up but the 2.4 does.
I am going off of the Rock Auto site.
Some trans had a buried filter with a cleanable screen and others a regular filter.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,981 Posts

Yes, everyone leaves it alone, unless someone is rebuilding their transmission.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mileage is over 370,000 km (229,907 miles).
I did the transmission drain and fill.
I guess it's still good enough then, right?
I don't have any issues with slipping or missing gears.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,981 Posts
That's right, keep up with the drain & fill and you should be good.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,453 Posts
10.8 hours doesn't seem either right or worth the work right now.
😆
It is right if the trans has to be pulled and torn apart to get to a filter that is buried in the transmission.
In your case I would have dropped the pan and inspected and cleaned the pan. My 03 3.5 Sorrie had magnets in it. I also found a loose screw in it. I replaced the screw with Loc-Tite and cleaned the mags.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is right if the trans has to be pulled and torn apart to get to a filter that is buried in the transmission.
In your case I would have dropped the pan and inspected and cleaned the pan. My 03 3.5 Sorrie had magnets in it. I also found a loose screw in it. I replaced the screw with Loc-Tite and cleaned the mags.
I think that might be a good idea. The pan is oriented sideways, but I think for the next drain and fill I will do that. That last drain and fill was about a month ago. But that gives it time to clean out the tranny fluid for this drain and fill coming up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1960 Corvair, 1975 Morris Mini, 1962 Renault Dauphine, 2012 Grand Cherokee
18 Posts
If this was your first change, the fluid was probably black.
En any event, if you are changing fluid always before they get dark, the filter is probably good for life. BUT, It just takes a little darkness, which is varnish pulling off the valves, bearings, and solenoids, to block the filter.

If the fluid was dark, and you just did a drain and fill, or even a complete fill with a machine, your filter may clog in a few weeks from the varnish cleaned off by the new fluid.

I don't know about the 3.5, but can't imagine it taking so long. We usually request most of the day for changes when we are cleaning or changing the filter, but mainly because here they don't come with gaskets, and we have to allow time for the form-a-gasket to set up. So we have 20-30 minutes of work, then 4 hours of dead time, and 20 minutes to assemble and fill.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this was your first change, the fluid was probably black.
En any event, if you are changing fluid always before they get dark, the filter is probably good for life. BUT, It just takes a little darkness, which is varnish pulling off the valves, bearings, and solenoids, to block the filter.

If the fluid was dark, and you just did a drain and fill, or even a complete fill with a machine, your filter may clog in a few weeks from the varnish cleaned off by the new fluid.

I don't know about the 3.5, but can't imagine it taking so long. We usually request most of the day for changes when we are cleaning or changing the filter, but mainly because here they don't come with gaskets, and we have to allow time for the form-a-gasket to set up. So we have 20-30 minutes of work, then 4 hours of dead time, and 20 minutes to assemble and fill.
Yeah, I agree. The filter shouldn't take too long, but if the book is saying 10.8 hours, then maybe a serious pro could get it done in half the time?

Just to update, I think I'll just do another drain and fill instead of cleaning out the pan this time. I can risk a small chance of filter clogging than to have the fluid never changed.

But since I don't have any problems with shifting and everyone here is saying the filter should be good, I'll just leave it alone.

Don't need to fix what isn't broken right?

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
172 Posts
View attachment 114814

Yes, it will take at least 10.8 hours to change the filter. You have to remove the transmission from the vehicle, disassemble the transmission so the transmission cases can be split to get to the filter. The filter is attached to the pump and the pump is one of the first things to be installed in the transmission case before all the other components go in the transmission. If you have the transmission that far apart, you may as well spend a little more and buy the parts to rebuild the transmission while you have it that far apart.

I would always change the filter but this is one case where that will not happen until the transmission goes bad. If you pull the pan from the front of the transmission, and pull the valve body off the one transmission case, and use mirror, you may be able to see a piece of the filter inside the case. You can not get to the filter until the case's are split.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I was thinking ALLDATA couldn't be wrong since they've got the actual manufacturer specs.

Just wow, 10.8 hours for a transmission filter? That's a first.

But seeing how it took me over 4 hours to replace the oil pressure sender on the Sorento, I figure this should come to as no surprise.

Damnit you Korean engineers! I should replace you all.

Haha. J/K, sort of.

I'm Korean myself and these people sometimes get me a little upset.

Anyways, I did the 2nd drain and fill and everything seems to still be running fine.

I don't really know if I can successfully replace the tranny filter without error right now, but thanks for that info.

It'd be cool to work on the transmission once this Sorento reaches it's last day. It's over 370,000 km (229,907 miles) right now, but I hope to get more life out of it yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking ALLDATA couldn't be wrong since they've got the actual manufacturer specs.

Just wow, 10.8 hours for a transmission filter? That's a first.

But seeing how it took me over 4 hours to replace the oil pressure sender on the Sorento, I figure this should come to as no surprise.

Damnit you Korean engineers! I should replace you all.

Haha. J/K, sort of.

I'm Korean myself and these people sometimes get me a little upset.

Anyways, I did the 2nd drain and fill and everything seems to still be running fine.

I don't really know if I can successfully replace the tranny filter without error right now, but thanks for that info.

It'd be cool to work on the transmission once this Sorento reaches it's last day. It's over 370,000 km (229,907 miles) right now, but I hope to get more life out of it yet.
That is typical for all manufacturers these using transverse mount power trains.

My Ford Edge Sport is the same (transverse), but my wife's Mustang is inline and I changed its trans filter when I did the oil drain-fill.

Being Korean, you might make some sense of the second part of my user name.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1004?

I'm not seeing anything except that show up as a lunar leap in year 1004.

I'm not sure where to go with this, but you like to be with your wife under the moon?

😅

That sounds pretty Korean to me.

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is really good.

I never realized that until now.

😆

That has now inspired me to go get wives or girlfriends. And be under the moon 1004 times with them in my lifetime.

Whether or not I succeed or end up being tossed into the lake by one of potential female companions is another thing entirely.

😅

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
That is really good.

I never realized that until now.

😆

That has now inspired me to go get wives or girlfriends. And be under the moon 1004 times with them in my lifetime.

Whether or not I succeed or end up being tossed into the lake by one of potential female companions is another thing entirely.

😅
You'll need to make a trip back to Korea, most beautiful ladies.

"wives" - one is enough!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts