Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an add on 2" oil pressure gauge for my 06 Spec.
I am having problems locating a proper tap/port to attach the sender to.

There is a 8mm plug on the front center of the engine above the exhaust manifold and it does provide access to the oil...But just try to fine an adapter fitting from 8mm to a standard sender..

I see also there are two recessed plugs on the head at the transmission end of the engine. They have what looks like a 5mm recessed hex head. and neither SAE or metric hex wrenches fit them. (5mm slips when pressure is applied). The thread size does look larger but I can't get the plug(s) out to check size and what they access (oil/coolant).

Anyone been there and done that?? or knows of a metric plumbing adapter supplier for say Honda/Toyota/Nisson?

I'd really like to have an oil pressure gauge so I can gauge pressure over the life of my engine...

Dave

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Hi Dave,

Have you considered using a T-Branch & fittings at the stock Oil Pressure switch on the side of the motor?

That's what I did, but am now considering changing over to this:

1/8 NPT Equal Oil Pressure / Oil Feed Sensor Sender Gauge Remote Adaptor Kit | eBay

because this setup would allow for routing the senders to a bracket location for mounting (vs. just the T-fitting on the side of the motor..)
--
I am probably going to use this:

Autometer 3227 -4AN Braided Pressure Gauge Hose Kit | eBay

and just remote-mount the existing T-fitting over on the back firewall on a bracket..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Dave, you are screwed.
It was your huge mistake to get an oil pressure gauge.

Do not worry, you are not alone. I did the same.
I got the gauge for my Elantra and it cost me 15 USD (mechanical, Sunpro CP8216, link:
)

Since KIA/Hyundai is metric based... you are screwed.
I can't say 100% what thread you have on your oil pressure switch, but in Elantra it is 1/8-28 ISO-7, in other words 1/8-28 BST tapered (British Standard Pipe).
Hell, nobody in HomeDepot, ACE Hardware store, nor any hardware store I visited heard about BST. Guys, wake up... SAE is not the only system. NPT is not the only thread in the world...
Anyway, there is a company called Swagelok (swagelok.com) that happens to make everything. And it is quite cheap, except shipping.
The two fittings I needed cost about 7 USD, while shipping was an extra 22. Darn it.

I guess you know where is your pressure switch.
The best way to determine is to... disconnect it and turn the ignition key. All lights will light up except... the oil pressure light. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
Hi Dave,

Have you considered using a T-Branch & fittings at the stock Oil Pressure switch on the side of the motor?

That's what I did, but am now considering changing over to this:
I just checked on rockauto and autozone and it appears Spectra uses same 1/8-28 BST which is similar to 1/8-27 NPT, but has different thread count plus different thread angle.
In other words - you can "fit" NPT into BS and vice verse, but you will not be able to put back BST into BST as the socket will be screwed. So lets hope you will never need to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
so, what I am going to do is to put the male connector (B-200-1-2RT) into the block, then a short part of 1/8 tubing (stainless steel or copper) into an union tee (B-200-3) from which one end will go the female fitting (B-200-7-2RT) that will connect to the OEM switch, while the other to the gauge.

I am still unsure as to where to place the gauge.

Take a look on pictures, you may see a difference in thread.
I checked and the male BST end fits loosely into the female NPT. I eventually locks, but I am afraid it will not grab on the right length of the thread.

However, the male NPT does NOT go into the female BST. It goes only a half of turn. Then is stuck (as I said - different angle - you may see that the male NPT is wider on the tip as BST is although they are same 1/8).

Oh, one more thing/
There is on eBay or somewhere over the net a tee that has one male BST end, one female BST and one male NPT. It is about 20 USD or so. I was considering it as well, but I realized it may not be a good idea to put such heavy tee on the block.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found another source....
Parker fittings.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CF0QFjAF&url=http://www.goodyearrubberproducts.com/files/Parker/ParkerBrassCatalog3501E/ParkerBrassCatalog3501E1.Page170.pdf&ei=-IYkUPDnGM_62AWProHoDw&usg=AFQjCNFf1Sek6l42QuscD2tNaNEvLCipDA&sig2=JV0rOrF1dWKYFKk54Uw9gw1/8 NPT

There seems to be a local pipe fittings store here in Canton, Ohio that carries the parker line..

Then I would need convert from BSPT female (on above "T") to 1/8" NPT female (end where electronic oil pressure sender would go in)..

In other words BSPT male (into the above "T") to 1/8" NPT female (sender male thread) and use the oil pressure sender port on the KIA engine.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought locally an adapter from a local "Parker" dealer in town an adapter to allow me to use the original oil pressure sender (idiot light) "port" with the 1/8" NPT sender for my new oil pressure gauge... The "T" from Parker was $65 and was an order item.
I'll go without the idiot light (low pressure) for that amount of money. The counter guy said all the British BSP fittings are ridiculous in price. The Adapter they had is of steel construction and sold for $8.13. The sender's threads are also steel so it won't make much difference. This adapter was made in "China" so it probably cost them under a buck their cost. Parker part #F3HG-S0202. (F3HG MALE BSPT/FEMALE NPT STEEL)
I just haven't researched if that also sends info to the ECM and if it will throw a CEL if it is missing...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tt2jzgtes...
I'm curious about your oil pressure at that mileage...
I put a REAL oil pressure gauge in my 06 SX.. I don't like idiot lights.
At idle I have around 30PSI and at 2500~3000RPM I have 50~60PSI in the summer temps. As rod and main bearings wear the oil PSI will drop...
I only have 43k on my car and wanted to get an idea of what one that's getting up there in miles was...
I had a fun time getting an adapter to go from ISO (Asian/European) to SAE threads (sender).
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
Dave how did you go about on installing an oil pressure guage? i would like to install one in my spec5.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found it a my "toy store" Harbor Freight"... It's white faced and has numerous LED colors. I believe they no longer carry them though...The only "problem I had was finding the adaptor that screws into the engine block where the Idiot sender was.
I researched the "old files" of the Cerato/Spectra area and found my one year old post
http://www.kia-forums.com/cerato-2003-2008-spectra5-2004/80243-has-anyone-added-oil-pressure-gauge.html
It has the adapter part # in it...(at the bottom of the posts...)
I used a stainless steel hose clamp around the body of the gauge that I drilled two holes into (the clamp not the gauge!!) and mounted it with two self tapping screws into the little "nook" at the bottom of junction the steering wheel column and the center console...It looks neat... the two wires from the sender (at the engine) are taped in black plastic from the engine to the driver fender through the driver doorway under the rubber weather strip through the plastic side panel (between the dash and the door) and to the gauge through the dash... If you want pictures I'll take some..I didn't want to drill through the firewall not knowing what is behind it...and you don't notice the small "harness" when getting into the car. I really feel better about knowing the oil pressure...We all read have a tach and a water gauge (if you'll call it that) so a "set" of gauges was not really needed and would have posed another problem of wher to mount them... I wish they made say 1.25" backed tiny gauge sets for these smaller cars.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
if you could Dave. thanks. also i found a place to drill on the firewall that will not hit any wires and anything. i use it to run my 0 guage amp wires, after market alarm horn and wires for my air horn. I can text you a picture of it if you like. Its just me but i dont like runnings wires thru the fenders and doors.

Found it a my "toy store" Harbor Freight"... It's white faced and has numerous LED colors. I believe they no longer carry them though...The only "problem I had was finding the adaptor that screws into the engine block where the Idiot sender was.
I researched the "old files" of the Cerato/Spectra area and found my one year old post
http://www.kia-forums.com/cerato-2003-2008-spectra5-2004/80243-has-anyone-added-oil-pressure-gauge.html
It has the adapter part # in it...(at the bottom of the posts...)
I used a stainless steel hose clamp around the body of the gauge that I drilled two holes into (the clamp not the gauge!!) and mounted it with two self tapping screws into the little "nook" at the bottom of junction the steering wheel column and the center console...It looks neat... the two wires from the sender (at the engine) are taped in black plastic from the engine to the driver fender through the driver doorway under the rubber weather strip through the plastic side panel (between the dash and the door) and to the gauge through the dash... If you want pictures I'll take some..I didn't want to drill through the firewall not knowing what is behind it...and you don't notice the small "harness" when getting into the car. I really feel better about knowing the oil pressure...We all read have a tach and a water gauge (if you'll call it that) so a "set" of gauges was not really needed and would have posed another problem of wher to mount them... I wish they made say 1.25" backed tiny gauge sets for these smaller cars.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
265 Posts
looks good Dave. thanks for sharing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts