Kia Forum banner

Has anybody added any accessories or modded their Borrego yet?

12K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  lilmule 
#1 ·
Hello all. Just wondering if anybody has added any accessories or modded their Borrego in any way yet? I own a EX model with 18" chrome wheels and the DVD player system. I had the front 2 windows tinted and I replaced the KIA badges (front and rear) with Tomato A&P badges (see here: Korean Auto Imports)

Erik

#3 ·
I read your post on the HID lighting and I have given a LOT of thought to doing it as well. I had aftermarket HIDs in my last car and the kit from HIDGUY.net looks to be a lot easier to install. I just wish someone would make some better H11B bulbs first...

#7 ·
I bought my Borrego in China and it doesn't have the Kia badges, but the pretty cool Borrego Badges. The Tomato Elite badges are not that bad either.

But, I want to change my 18" rims to 20" rims. I live in China and I can buy factory direct rims for like $150 each (70% of the rims used in the US are coming from China btw). But here's the catch. The Borrego has such a difficult size: the PCD is 6/114.3mm so that downsizes the availability of wheels with 90%. But the ET (offset) and CB (Center Bore) is also important. Does anyone knows the exact measurements of the 18" rims from the Borrego?

I'm now discussing with a factory that is willing to measure my spare rim and get back to me with the correct 3 numbers. After that, they might be able to find a 20" rim for me. In case anyone is interested, I can ask them to produce more and I can have them send to your place. If finding a bigger rim for the Borrego in China is already like finding a needle in the haystack, I can imagine that's impossible to find one in the US & other parts of the world.

#12 ·
Now for more questions. How do you get at the low beam bulb? Do you have to remove the headlight pod by removing the top bolts? Also do the projectors stay in place even with the HID bulbs? Where did you mount your ballasts could you take pictures and post them? I just ordered a set of HIDs and I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks

#13 ·
You will have remove the whole headlight assembly. The two bolts on top and I think there was one more on the side... don't quite remember. However I removed another panel that extended from one side to the other across the rad support. You'll find that the bumper cover, covers a little bit of the head light and you'll have to wrestle with it for a bit, or remove the cover.

Ballasts are mounted just behind the headlamp, good time to mount a siren too if you're thinking of an aftermarket security system.

You can see a few pics at Shaw Photo Share

#15 ·
So call me a Red Neck but I removed the HUGE muffler and rear resonator, And replaced it from the cats back with 3" exhaust FLO PRO muffler and tail pipe, I love the sound. My borrego had a bit of lag till 3000rpm then it would run like scared rabbit, Now it jumps right at the touch of the pedal, it has a nice rumble and went from 12.7l/100km to 11.1l/100km
And the wife likes it so a win win all around, Now just looking for a cold air intake or k&n filter

#16 ·
Would love to hear a sound file of your Borrego! I am actually running mine by the local custom muffler shop this coming weekend to talk to them about putting dual exhaust on mine. I want to split it after the CATS, but before they merge into a single pipe into the muffler. Then run each side of the v8 to the back. I will keep the tips hidden, like the single one is now, so that way I don't have something else to keep shiny. My last car had Stainless tips, that were a pain to keep clean.

I really feel this v8 could sound really nice with a good set of pipes and Flowmaster 40 series installed.

#17 ·
Monkeythumper
Sorry have been on the road. I am a BIG fan of dual exhaust and have many systems to prove it, However when I had it on the hoist looking at the options, the fuel tank is inside the frame so all the exhaust comes down the one side of the truck, We were barley able to sqeeze 3" single exhaust on it. Which IMO Is way better than dual 2" pipes I am working on the sound file, I am on the road working, As a side note just added the pioneer bt910 nav unit with ipod, bluetooth, and dvd aand love it.

#18 ·
Any luck with a sound file yet?

I've talked to my exhaust guy, and he says he *may* be able to get duals on it like I want, but it may be more difficult than it is worth. Probably have to do like you did. Probably run split exhaust to a dual inlet/dual outlet flowmaster 40 series muffler, that way the muffler becomes my crossover point, and just run the duals to the back on one side of the vehicle. That would still give me a little of the offset rumble that you get with a dual exhaust crossover system, like on a Mustang. I think that would give the deepest tone, but still be somewhat louder. 2" duals is plenty for this motor. Don't want to loosen up the backflow too much, or we lose some of the low end torque.

Would love to hear yours to give me a starting point of what I need to look into doing.

#22 ·
Has anyone seen how fast there truck will go? Is that just a ******* thing? Today on our 3 mile strait stretch I was curious because it runs like a scared rabbit, well it stopped at 200kph that is 120mph for my brothers to the south. then the govener kicked in it had more but computer shut me down :( On a side note WOW it hit the peg right now there was no lally gaging it hit max speed in 15 seconds. I am really impressed with this truck and they way it handles. As all have there warts and flees as a whole I am really happy with my purchase.

#26 ·
Thanks Eh!
I am prob going to run some lights like you did but we will see. Dont think it will stop a moose but it gives the truck that tough look and if you need to push someone out of the way when the flash your lights dont work ;)
I used my buddys shop and aligned the truck and was on my way home when we were passing a car and we were at 100 mph and I thought hmm and floored it and it jumped to 120 and the governer kicked in.
I am so stoked to own 1 of 1000 trucks sold in the us. I am so happy with my truck, thanks again for your help.
As a side note, my truck can beat a hemi :)

#27 ·
It has some real obvious light tabs on top... so if you don't put something there, it kinda looks like it's missing something.

Hmmm... you must have the V8 if you are running strong against a Dodge Hemi. They are just under 350 hp typically... about the same as the V8 Borrego. The V6 is by no means underpowered, but I wouldn't challenge a modern Hemi with it.

Enjoy your truck but stay safe bro... don't need you wrapped around a tree. ;)

#28 ·
Yes sir smuook.
I dont always drive like a donkey, Just when I'm behind the wheel eh! ;). JK It is my wifes truck. I only play once and a while out of town and on lonley streches of road. Yes I have the V8 truck, My buddy has a 08 hemi. He owns his own shop I help him out time to time as a licenced mechanic. He has a chip, cold air and exhaust, I have just done the exhaust on mine. Havent found the cold air or chip that is reliable to my standards yet. But yah off the line he took me but at 3000 rpm and the variable valve timing kicked in and that was all she wrote, he was behind me to the end 120 mph.
I cruise my truck at 80 mph and we are getting 400 miles to 16.5 gallons.
Which is about 24mpg I am really happy with it.
Now that is over all average from utah to alberta, 920 miles.
I have a hard time with some of the opinions of some people concerning the boreggo.
I wonder why if this is a owners site how do the nay sayers get in?
Any ways If I ever get to florida which may happen my daughter lives in eastern canada. I will look you up happy new year and god bless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.