Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sportage
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded for a 1999 Sporty. It had an engine swap mostly done...

My question is: all of the accessory drive pulleys are flat belt, but the crank pulley is a dual v-belt. Anybody got a clue as to what pulley I need to switch to?:confused:

·
Registered
2000 Sportage
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine appears to be a standard 2.slow. I don't know what year it came out of.

'

As for the pulleys, the issue is that the outer accessories have flat belt pulleys:

while the outer pulley is a vbelt pulley:

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
On my 2002 there are two serpentine belts ( what you are calling flat belts) & one v-belt. The serpentine belts drive the alternator and the A/C compressor. The v-belt drives the power steering pump. The v-belt drive should face the block

The power steering pump is below the A/C compressor.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
For reference only look at rock auto 2002 sportage in the engine section they show a dual serpentine belt harmonic balance r part # 6210007 auto 7. Maybe you can locate one at local salvage yard . Hope this helps.
chief

·
Registered
2000 Sportage
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wrong pulley

It is definitely the wrong pulley.

I pulled off the fan, shroud, and belts:

So, junkyard it is, I guess. Before I do, does anyone make an underdrive pulley for these things?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

The harmonic balancer is a (3) belt pulley:

From the block:

1) innermost belt is for the power steering pump,
2) middle belt is for the ac compressor, and ac idler (adjustment) pulley,
3) outermost belt is for the fan clutch pulley and alternator pulley,

This link: (thanks DavesSpectra)

==

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YuNuTyh57XUXZKRnlLMV9sMTA&usp=sharing

Group00.PDF is table of contents,

* Group10-1.PDF shows belt routing ..

re: under-drive pulley - when I was planning the electric fan conversion for the '00 Sporty here, I found a few 'generic' under-drive pulleys for sale on eBay that "may" fit the 2.0L Sporty motor, but at the time I was really searching for an (aluminum) stock (OEM) lightweight replacement pulley,

* The Sporty's electrical system, at 65 Amp, is spec'd pretty close to full-rated load (there is little / no reserve built-in), I would be cautious about under-driving the Sporty alternator at idle. * This is strictly a personal observation, if you decide to go-for-it, please let us know how you make out w/ the conversion ..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2000 Sportage
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for that, GottaCruise. I've gone the not-enough-juice route with a bike, I'll let discretion be the better part of valor on this one.

Anybody have any clue what my engine might have come out of, based on that pulley?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'll be doing some work on the Sporty Monday, will snap some pics and post for comparison.

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
thanks for that, GottaCruise. I've gone the not-enough-juice route with a bike, I'll let discretion be the better part of valor on this one.

Anybody have any clue what my engine might have come out of, based on that pulley?
Probably an earlier model year Sportage. The only other possibility is a Mazda 626.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered the correct pulley from Rock Auto. All of the ones showing on ebay are like the one on my car.:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The pulley in the photo is the correct part. It should have an inner and outer V-Belt, and a sepentine flat belt in the middle. Believe me I know! My 2001 just broke this week in the middle of BFE, and no cell signal. All the rubber in the middle came out, so the A/C, alternator, and fan would no longer spin. And I also now know what the weird sound was when I turned on the A/C. I found it online for about 85-90 bucks. The aftermarket part for that is a Dorman 594-281. The Kia OEM was $195.

It's not hard to find, but Auto Zone had to order it. Napa only had 10 in TN.

I removed it myself and it's pretty easy. 6x 10mm head bolts for the balancer. Also had to remove the air intake, fan & shroud (unbolted and removed together) and the kick plate below. The belts were already "loose" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2000 Sportage
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope. It is definitely the one with double serpentines and one v belt.

replaced, and it's awesome having ac again!

As an aside, I did mistype the year earlier; it's an 02.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts