Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there im new to the forums and im looking for help after looking up and down on the internet with no luck. Im going to be changing brake pads on 2003 Kia Sorento ex but im having no luck getting the lugnuts off the the tire at first i was thinking that it was a hupcap in the way but upon closer inspection it did not seem that way and how im asking if there anyone that can tell is there a hup cap in the way and if so how do i take it off thank you

and also im not useing a t-bar just the stock lug-nut wrench is that a problem
and pulling counter clockwise

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Hubcap? Probably not.

Sounds like you need a bigger wrench. Running the car for a few miles to heat up the wheel might help.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,476 Posts
Torque on the lugs is 87 lbs. A small wrench is not going to cut it. Long breaker bar or impact gun is what you need. 5 lugs and the wheel comes off.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
When I had a flat and had to change a tyre by the side of the road, not long after buying my car, I found some idiot gorilla had previously tightened the wheel nuts up excessively with a rattle gun. I had to slip the hollow end of the entension you use to winch down the spare over the end of the stndard wheel nut wrench to get extra leverage to get them off and I had to be careful not to bend it. When I got home I used my long breaker bar to loosen the rest, some were so tight that they creaked and let go with a bang! I then did them back up with a standard wheel brace.
Why do poeople do this? My wife would not have had a hope of getting them loose?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
When I had a flat and had to change a tyre by the side of the road, not long after buying my car, I found some idiot gorilla had previously tightened the wheel nuts up excessively with a rattle gun.

Why do people do this? My wife would not have had a hope of getting them loose?
We have about a dozen tyre shops around town and I now only go to those few places that take care with my car. You are right; there are some gorillas out there. I've had wheel nuts over-tightened and in one instance, not tightened at all. I always check as soon as I get the car home.

One place in town raises the car with four individual jacks and tightens the wheel nuts with a torque wrench. They also do full wheel alignment with a laser set-up. So that's where I go.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Dont wait till you get home to check the wheel nuts.
Some time ago when i had something tyre related done on an old camry with hub caps i was driving home (only about 15 minutes through back streets) and i hear this clunking. Went real slow and figured out where it was coming from. Like something going around with the wheel. Open the hub cap there is a nut rolling around in there. Lucky the wheel didn't fall off as all nuts were loose, and another was about to fall off!
Lessen learnt. Dont trust anyone.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Had a recent case of over-tightening. Several of the wheel nuts on my Son's Cerato had been tightened with a ferocity that I've never encountered before. Normal wheel wrench was no use, nor was a wheel-brace. I had to use a 4 ft. extension on the wheel wrench. I estimate torque required to loosen those nuts was at least 200 ft. lb. Should be 80 ft. lb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not only that. Step 1 - extension tube a half a meter long, and even all nuts off, wheel was impossible to remove without builders heavy hammer :) In the way it's good, that sense of stability, but I've been thinking the men from whom I get Sorento a bit overdone it.

Hello, everyone ! It's my 1 post!

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Had a recent case of over-tightening. Several of the wheel nuts on my Son's Cerato had been tightened with a ferocity that I've never encountered before. Normal wheel wrench was no use, nor was a wheel-brace. I had to use a 4 ft. extension on the wheel wrench. I estimate torque required to loosen those nuts was at least 200 ft. lb. Should be 80 ft. lb.
My wife's Spectra (Cerato) had it's wheel nuts tightened to a point that I actually snapped the lug bolt in half. The place I went to get the tires repaired said that I caused the damage. After pointing out that it was not physically possible for me to put that much torque down putting them on, they conceded that they were the ones who had the impact wrench on the wrong setting when they put the tires on during a previous visit. Replaced all 4 wheel lugs on their dime, and I watched through the window while the tech hand tightened the nuts, then went back with the torque wrench.

Sometimes the wheel kinda sticks to the hub too. A couple hits with a rubber mallet, or a good kicking usually breaks that loose though.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
My wife's Spectra (Cerato) had it's wheel nuts tightened to a point that I actually snapped the lug bolt in half... They replaced all 4 wheel lugs, and I watched through the window while the tech hand tightened the nuts, then went back with the torque wrench.

Sometimes the wheel kinda sticks to the hub too. A couple hits with a rubber mallet, or a good kicking usually breaks that loose though.
For Christmas, my wife gave me a torque wrench (how romantic). Not only can I tighten my wheel nuts to a nicety, but when friends ask what I got for Christmas, I can get bemused looks from female acquaintences. "Talk, Wench!" is probably what they hear. Average spec. for the wheel nuts on our 3 cars is 80 ft.lb. and this seems about right. Tested one car after a few weeks and the nuts were tight, but easy to get off.

While the (steel) wheels are off the car, I usually give them a good clean and spray with a little protective film. Usually Lanolin, or a marine spray, Tectyl, which leave a slightly tacky surface. This prevents the plastic wheel trims from working loose (better than cable-ties; don't they look crappy?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts